Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:32 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Interesting article, I don't think we are going anywhere. Sounds to me like the politician was just trying to incite a debate. I think the capital should move to Morgantown or clarksburg, would make more sense.
Clarksburg was one of the original choices actually... I know Randolph County voted for it.... it literally was voted on. Despite what some "hate" obsessed people on this forum might tell you that it was a huge conspiracy against nc wv and apparently now the EP as well.

I'll try to find the document... there is also a map too I believe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:37 PM

389 posts, read 797,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
For what it's worth, it's usually the law makers FROM the Eastern Panhandle that push going back to Virginia or going to Maryland. This, to my knowledge, has never been initiated by lawmakers from other areas of the state. Here's the most recent example :

Residents of Berkeley, Jefferson and Morgan counties would cast nonbinding votes on whether to secede from West Virginia under legislation proposed Friday by an Eastern Panhandle lawmaker.

The bill introduced by freshman Delegate Larry Kump seeks to ask voters whether they want to become part of neighboring Virginia.

Stressing it’s nonbinding nature, the Berkeley County Republican said the measure would provide “some advice and consent on this issue.” He cited West Virginia’s poor showing in economic rankings.

Lawmaker seeks nonbinding vote for 3 counties to leave W.Va. - The Herald Dispatch
If I remember correctly, they did that more as plea for attention (publicity stunt, if you will) than as a means to actually leave the state. They share a lot of the same sentiments (i.e. neglect from the state) that have been expressed ad nauseam on this forum. I'd even go so far as to say that it might actually be a more justified argument. The people in that area are certainly proud West Virginians, they just give the folks at the Capitol a friendly reminder once in a while that, just because they're 300 miles from the state capital, doesn't mean they're not important.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM

4,958 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
If I remember correctly, they did that more as plea for attention (publicity stunt, if you will) than as a means to actually leave the state. They share a lot of the same sentiments (i.e. neglect from the state) that have been expressed ad nauseam on this forum. I'd even go so far as to say that it might actually be a more justified argument. The people in that area are certainly proud West Virginians, they just give the folks at the Capitol a friendly reminder once in a while that, just because they're 300 miles from the state capital, doesn't mean they're not important.
Oh, I know WHY they did it but to do something like that for a publicity stunt and for attention almost always has unintended consequences. One of the EP politicians even stated it: “That is worse than nonsense,” Doyle said of the bill. “It comes across to a lot of West Virginians as if people of the Eastern Panhandle are saying, ’We’re too good for you, we’re better than you.’ That’s not how we feel.” If you want more attention , show that you are committed to a state and its ideals, not ready to leave at the drop of a hat if you don't get your way.

And in all honesty, other than Charleston, what area of the state feels like most of their needs are taken care of? I know Huntington had to beg and plead for years just to be able to refinance their own Retirement Plan rather than using the system that the state mandated that they must. Charleston needs to let go of some of the power and allow more home rule under certain constraints. The same goes for Higher Education as well, the politicians need to let go of the power. The feeling among most of the other institutions is that WVU gets anything that they want and that other institutions may be denied the right to progress if it interferes with the wants of WVU. Just look at the recent addition of the MU Pharmacy school and the media attack from WVU and UC (a private school I might add) as well as the HEPC wasting $10,000 of taxpayer money for a study that they hoped would show the school wasn't necessary. That is abuse of power but you don't hear any on here whining obsessively about that because it potenitally benefits them.

So those of us in Huntington could complain from a city and higher ed point of view for the lack of support we get, but what good would that do? Huntington and Marshall are finding ways to make things happen within the limits of their constraints. Complaining does little and accomplishes next to nothing except making people less likely to agree with your point of view if that's all you do is complain. Kind of like the boy who cried wolf scenerio, after so long, people quit listening. Unless, of course, you do things like that in a constructive and meaningful way. Anyone can whine about something but to point out a problem and offer a viable solution, that is much more respectable.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:50 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Oh, I know WHY they did it but to do something like that for a publicity stunt and for attention almost always has unintended consequences. One of the EP politicians even stated it: “That is worse than nonsense,” Doyle said of the bill. “It comes across to a lot of West Virginians as if people of the Eastern Panhandle are saying, ’We’re too good for you, we’re better than you.’ That’s not how we feel.” If you want more attention , show that you are committed to a state and its ideals, not ready to leave at the drop of a hat if you don't get your way.

And in all honesty, other than Charleston, what area of the state feels like most of their needs are taken care of? I know Huntington had to beg and plead for years just to be able to refinance their own Retirement Plan rather than using the system that the state mandated that they must. Charleston needs to let go of some of the power and allow more home rule under certain constraints. The same goes for Higher Education as well, the politicians need to let go of the power. The feeling among most of the other institutions is that WVU gets anything that they want and that other institutions may be denied the right to progress if it interferes with the wants of WVU. Just look at the recent addition of the MU Pharmacy school and the media attack from WVU and UC (a private school I might add) as well as the HEPC wasting $10,000 of taxpayer money for a study that they hoped would show the school wasn't necessary. That is abuse of power but you don't hear any on here whining obsessively about that because it potenitally benefits them.

So those of us in Huntington could complain from a city and higher ed point of view for the lack of support we get, but what good would that do? Huntington and Marshall are finding ways to make things happen within the limits of their constraints. Complaining does little and accomplishes next to nothing except making people less likely to agree with your point of view if that's all you do is complain. Kind of like the boy who cried wolf scenerio, after so long, people quit listening. Unless, of course, you do things like that in a constructive and meaningful way. Anyone can whine about something but to point out a problem and offer a viable solution, that is much more respectable.
It is not the EP is too good for the state, but rather the level of funding an area gets decreases exponentially the further you get from Charleston.

Also stop blaming WVU for the failures of Marshall. In an earlier thread you were complaining that Marshall didnt get a med school, a pharmacy school, a law school, and a new engineering school. Please!

WVU is underfunded as it is, and is one of the most underfunded flagship schools in the country. 20% from the state for the state university is absolutely pathetic. I am not against Marshall growing, but I am tired of you always having a chip on your shoulder towards WVU. Marshall may not be in the same league as WVU but it is an ok school.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:38 PM

4,958 posts, read 8,955,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Also stop blaming WVU for the failures of Marshall.

I am not against Marshall growing, but I am tired of you always having a chip on your shoulder towards WVU.
First of all, I didn't blame WVU for anything and definately not any of Marshall's problems. I was merely pointing out the perception of the disporportionate funding in higher education and the political forces driving it.

Secondly, for you to complain about anyone else pointing out such a perception on very few occasions and saying that you are "tired of it" is laughable and highly hypocritical of you.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
Some posters come across as people who sit around and complain about what they don't have their entire life instead of being proactive and doing something about it.

While this is a forum for discussion, some of the same old complaints get old. If you have a problem this desparate, then get intrusive and do something about it. Lobby your local politicians. Come back on here and report what you have done to help your area.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Silk I thought you lived in Saint Albans?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,616,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Most of WV hates the EP, or the 3 counties that are part of the DC metro area. I never understood why.

Same problem with Morgantown.

The fact that politicians want to give away some of the strongest economic regions of WV tells you a lot about the state government.
First off, only Jefferson County is considered to be part of the Washington DC/MD/VA/WV metropolitan area. Berkeley County definitely has a huge commuter population into northern Virginia or suburban Maryland but for census purposes it is not part of the DC region. Morgan County isn't even close. You can't really consider the Eastern Panhandle a strong economic region as the majority of individuals residing there commute to neighboring states for work. An area undergoing a massive population boom yes, but economic powerhouse not so much.

Second, the 'hatred' issue that keeps being brought up ad nauseum on this forum is prevalent in the majority of states..Northern Virginia vs the rest of Virginia (NoVa vs RoVa if you will), the DC suburbs of Maryland vs Baltimore City/County in Maryland, Columbus/Central Ohio vs Cleveland or Cincinnati, Charlotte vs the Triangle in NC, Atlanta vs the rest of Georgia, NYC vs the Upstate, etc. I could go on forever...that is why I am confused as to why there is a consistent need to constantly dwell on this issue.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
Chriss, I just bought a new house and moved in the fall. My family keeps expanding somehow, lol

Old 03-05-2012, 06:27 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Chriss, I just bought a new house and moved in the fall. My family keeps expanding somehow, lol
Lol, I take expansion means children?

Winfield is nice, I like the slogan "city of champions"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia