Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 PM

51 posts, read 173,229 times

Advertisements

I recently sent an email to a gentleman who is very "pro West Virignia", and it occured to me afterwards to ask the thoughts of everyone here on City Data. We had considered other areas over the past few years (Western NY, Idaho, New England) but for one reason or another, they just didn't "do it" for us.

Read on, if you will...

A few years ago, we had the absolute pleasure of living in the shadow of Whitetop Mountain, Virginia. It was a year of voluntary simplicity --hard lessons were learned, we were poor BUT it was a "good poor" if such a thing exists. Anyway...

When we discuss relocation, we keep coming back to our "Year On The Mountain"--a 27 acre former dairy farm with endless possibilities. Returning to that immediate area would be financially difficult, and our conversation usually returns to our original love of moving to West Virginia. Back in 2007, when we talked about this move, we found ourselves enamored with the Weston/Buckhannon area. The people, the friendliness, the outdoor possibilities, affordability and our personal interests just seemed to work for this part of West Virginia.

Fast forward to now, and again discussion of relocation has come up a lot lately. In this part of South Jersey, the cost of living is creeping up more along with lack of good employment. We also have 4 acres with the neighboring 60 at our use, but it's getting so crowded in this area that we'd not be able to enjoy it. We are now back to wanting to move to the Weston/Buckhannon area, and I'd like your thoughts and opinions on this part of the state.

We like to garden and 'homestead', and becoming self-sufficient has always been our dream...small livestock, chickens, making our own cheese, etc. We're not big TV watchers, and prefer to find ourselves outdoors whether it be doing yard chores, geocaching or hiking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,972 times
Should be able to find something along the Rt 33 corridor. However, you will have to dig deep to get it cheap as development has raised the cost.

I can see that area working for you.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM

708 posts, read 1,156,992 times
Weston/Buckhannon is a nice part of the state and would be suitable to the type of life you would want to live and enjoy. I've been to Whitetop, Va, very scenic with lots of hiking/biking on the Virginia Creeper Trail and close proximity to the Appalachian Trail.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:21 PM

It does seem to fit us, and there is employment to be found--my husband is in health care and I'm an EMT. There are houses of worship for us, food shopping and other stores...I just can't see the "cons" of a "pros and cons" list for that area. Be honest--what's the downside of living in Weston/Buckhannon?

Old 02-20-2013, 02:22 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_tucker View Post
It does seem to fit us, and there is employment to be found--my husband is in health care and I'm an EMT. There are houses of worship for us, food shopping and other stores...I just can't see the "cons" of a "pros and cons" list for that area. Be honest--what's the downside of living in Weston/Buckhannon?
I think, for what you're looking for, there are few cons. That area wouldn't work for everyone. It's a long way to a Starbucks, a fancy department store, opera and ballet. But you already know what living in that kind of area is like. Your and your husband's training should alleviate a common "con", and that is finding employment.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
It's a very nice area that should fit your needs well.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 AM

Where is there to grocery shop? I see there's a Sav-A-Lot in town, and a Kroger's a half hour north...farmer's markets, roaside stands, etc.?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 PM

10 posts, read 15,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_tucker View Post
Where is there to grocery shop? I see there's a Sav-A-Lot in town, and a Kroger's a half hour north...farmer's markets, roaside stands, etc.?
Actually, the Kroger is in town, at a little shopping plaza with I think a Goody's. Plus, the city is building a big new farmer's market that will be integrated with a park in downtown.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zargontapel View Post
Actually, the Kroger is in town, at a little shopping plaza with I think a Goody's. Plus, the city is building a big new farmer's market that will be integrated with a park in downtown.
Ah, absolutely PERFECT Room for a garden and a small coop for a few chickens--I'm good!

Old 05-03-2015, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,955 times
Drug infested and dirty. People living in homes with half the roof collapsed, and it's acceptable. Abandoned falling down houses full of rats ... Abandoned schools and stores. The police and the people in charge of the area are also dirty. These are not nice people. These are people with a huge chip on their shoulder. These are poor people who always have their hand out and who will smile in your face while they rob you blind. Don't be fooled by the beautiful scenery and the coziness of the hills. It is the equivalent of the ghetto surrounded by trees. The way the natives live their lives will appall you when you figure out what is going on around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia