Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 PM

35 posts, read 52,988 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Could somebody tell me what the drive is like on US 50 from Parkersburg to Bridgeport? Within the next few weeks I have to make a trip that involves that stretch of road.

Is it very mountainous, 4 lane all the way?

Thank you for the information. Just trying to prepare for my trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 01:04 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
Boring.

The first time isn't bad, as it is a pretty landscape. Mostly rolling hills, some larger ones, and a few farms here and there. Really not much on the drive, but it is 4 lanes from the Ohio border to I-79 in Bridgeport.

If you're driving at night, be careful for deer - there's plenty of them. Also, cops like to sit right before the descent to Mountwood Park, around Ellenboro, near Doddridge County Middle School, and near Clarksburg. Everywhere else might as well be Montana with curves.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:29 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,665 times
Route 50 has some curves here and there, but it's more hilly than mountainous.

It goes across some of West Virginia's most rural counties population wise (Doddridge and Ritchie). Ellenboro has a few gas stations and restaurants and it's about 30 miles from Parkersburg and 40 from Bridgeport.

Other than that, it's just a normal rural road. Once you hit Clarksburg, traffic picks up. Route 50 through Clarksburg can get a little busy. Some of the ramps are very short and drivers are jockeying for their position on the road. Watch out for the bad drivers on that stretch through Clarksburg.

Once the expressway ends, you hit one of busiest intersections in the state, Route 50 and I-79. Although Bridgeport is small, it has a lot of traffic passing through its city limits. Emily Drive (in Clarksburg but borders on Bridgeport) can get busy because that's where a bulk of Clarksburg's retail activity is located. Bridgeport has a mall, which is located at the Meadowbrook Rd/Johnson Ave exit off I-79.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,336 times
The posts above nailed it as those guys are more familiar with that highway. But I have been across route 50 plenty of times myself. There is def some pretty scenery and some large hills. One thing I always wondered is why the area in between Parkersburg and Clarksburg never developed more. Sort of how Teays Valley sprung up on I-64. But in a smaller scale of course.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:26 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
As elewis says, boring.

The road itself is in good shape and it's an easy drive even if boring drive.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:44 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
... One thing I always wondered is why the area in between Parkersburg and Clarksburg never developed more. Sort of how Teays Valley sprung up on I-64. But in a smaller scale of course.
No major natural resources to exploit, until oil/gas ~1900. And once the wells are drilled, there's not much permanent employment unless the processing is done there too. The oil/gas from that region was transported to the Ohio River, which led to all those chemical plants up and down the river from Parkersburg.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 AM

282 posts, read 484,613 times
Being from Clarksburg and living in Parkersburg I've driven Route 50 a thousand times to the point I could do it blindfolded. It's not the most exciting 60 miles of highway in the country, but I've learned to just make it a relaxing drive and enjoy the scenery along the way. The road is mostly up and down over the hills and valleys with a few flat stretches. I'm surprised too that there hasn't been more development, especially around Ritchie County. Traffic seems to have picked up a lot the last couple of years with the completion of the new Blennerhasset Bridge at Washington (Parkersburg) and the shale boom. At one time you could go several miles and hardly pass a car either direction, but those days are gone. Hopefully the increased traffic will result in more restaurants and nicer gas stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia