Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 07:52 PM

76 posts, read 363,895 times

Advertisements

I would like to know who has the best schools? Also, Why is housing buying cheaper in Berkley than Jefferson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 01:17 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,399 times
When we moved here and did research on schools we found that we wanted to stay in the Musselman or Hedgesville and away from Martinsburg (this is for Berkeley County).

As far as Jefferson County being more expensive I think it has to do with easier commute to the DC area.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:47 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
If you choose Berkeley, then Hedgesville or Mussleman would be the choice over Martinsburg.
The reason Jefferson is more expensive is two fold.
A- Commute to DC
B- In 2005 Jefferson County adopted Zoning Ordinances unlike Berkeley.

With the growth influx in the Eastern Panhandle both Jefferson and Morgan have for the last few years entered to a more "smart" growth plan. This provides more managed growth with the downtown areas for re-investment.

My suggestion is take the tour.

You will see many differences today as you travel from the city limits of Harpers Ferry, to Shepherdstown, to Martinsburg, to Berkeley Springs.
You will find Martinsburg as a town with less pride, less business, and overall more crime (granted I-81) plays into this also.

At one time Martinsburg was the opposite (pre-DC influx) and those who were wise stayed away from Jefferson County and CTown.

We all here have our opinions and I am the first to admit mine are very strong a full of passion as I am very disappointed to what Martinsburg has become, then again different strokes for different folks.

You will have to decide.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia