Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 08:46 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
..or perhaps even longer if it even happens at all. Wouldn't be the first time in the four-state that a project would take many MANY years to become a reality. The shopping center with Martins at the intersection of Route 7 and I-81 in the Winchester area way back in 1979 it was announced in the press at the time that this was supposed to be the site of "Winchester Mall". Back then it was said that the 1-81 and Route 7 area will be the place to shop in the future. Still remember the big sign that was placed on the site facing of course I-81 in early 1980 "THE WINCHESTER MALL..OVER 100 STORES AND RESTAURANTS COMING SOON !!'. Only two stores ended up opening up at Winchester Mall in late 1981..Safeway and a Drug Fair/Fashion Fair. Unfortunately those two stores would be gone by the mid 1980s and until Tractor Supply would open in the mid 90s the land was an ugly eyesore. In the early 90s that sign promising all of those stores was still up plus that ugly sign on route 7 with the words "Welcome to WINCHESTER MALL" . Long story short it took 35 years from the time the project was first announced to when that area would finally be almost developed with stores, restaurants and a hotel and under a new name. Winchester Gateway I think that is what that shopping center is called today. Still not the 100 stores and other things that was promised at first but its a lot better now than when it was back in the late 80s with just two empty buildings with busted windows and a parking lot full of beer bottles.
I'm starting to think that Martinsburg's new Weis Plaza is going to take 35 years. The original plans called for actual construction by this point. The project keeps getting delayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 09:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,512,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Great find!

It looks like the pad next to Chili's has been divided. They must not have been able to find a larger restaurant tenant.
It's a shame they are having trouble finding another large restaurant chain. I feel the project needs to one more large chain other than Chili's. There's nothing wrong with Chilis, but variety is the spice of life for these projects. I am glad some new-to-the-market chains like Wing Stop have leased.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:55 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
It's a shame they are having trouble finding another large restaurant chain. I feel the project needs to one more large chain other than Chili's. There's nothing wrong with Chilis, but variety is the spice of life for these projects. I am glad some new-to-the-market chains like Wing Stop have leased.
I'm honestly surprised that Longhorn Steakhouse hasn't signed on. They're owned by Darden, like nearby Olive Garden, and have three other locations along the I-81 corridor (Winchester, Hagerstown, Chambersburg). Red Robin seemed like another likely option as well.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:25 AM

210 posts, read 417,249 times
Good spot for a Tudor's!

Old 08-26-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaeer View Post
good spot for a tudor's!
yes!!!!!! 😀

Old 08-26-2016, 08:05 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post

Yes it is a shame but on the other hand I believe many of those chains are cutting back such as what Ruby Tuesday is currently doing. On the flip side there is Joe's Steakhouse. Joe's is a very small but upscale chain but they are based locally with locations in front Royal, Woodstock and one in downtown Winchester. I wouldn't be surprised if they are at least keep tabs on Martinsburg,

Old 09-01-2016, 05:25 AM

58 posts, read 83,328 times
Wing Stop needs to be the model. Bring in stuff that is NOT in the surrounding areas or non-chain establishments. Martinsburg has some great mom and pop spots that would benefit from a better, higher-profile location.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:00 AM

Default Chili's Update

If you look up Chili's Martinsburg on Twitter, there are several tweets from construction managers regarding the new restaurant. You can see things are progressing very quickly, with exterior signage already in place. A particular Tweet from someone who seems to be a manager indicates the opening date will be October 17th.

https://twitter.com/search?q=chilis%...sburg&src=typd

Old 09-02-2016, 08:24 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledtear View Post
Wing Stop needs to be the model. Bring in stuff that is NOT in the surrounding areas or non-chain establishments. Martinsburg has some great mom and pop spots that would benefit from a better, higher-profile location.
I totally agree. Now I have to ask..something I had been curious about for years. Is Martinsburg a tough place to be when opening up and running a mom & pop type of business ?? I knew the two guys who had the Grapevine Cafe which was located not far from the Journal Newspaper offices about 15 years ago. They did good business but for some reason it always did seemed that the city of Martinsburg was always picking on them for whatever reason. I was with WEPM at the time and they were clients of ours and because of that I wasn't allowed to ask them about their troubles with Martinsburg plus at the time, which didn't help I wasn't a Journal reader so I have no idea what their troubles really were other than that they had it with Martinsburg and took their business to somewhere in Pennsylvania. On a similar note back in 2000 I was dating a guy who lived in Uniontown, PA. At the time he really had wanted to open up a computer business somewhere in downtown Martinsburg. He visited the town and fell in love with it. Anyway after talking to some of the other business owners about opening up his shop in Martibsurg he was actually warned by many not too. Some suggested Winchester ( he had no interest to open up there ) and others suggested Hagerstown ( too expensive there he had thought ). Oddly enough he ended up picking Morgantown but alas..his business is now defunct. Last I heard he lives in San Francisco now. Wish I knew why he vetoed Martinsburg but he never would tell me.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:22 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
It would be nice if they could fill in the stores/restaurants that are still vacant.

Tudors - is there another Tudors out there besides Tudors Biscuit World?
A Red Robin would be nice. Thought there was talk of a Tilted Kilt coming to the Martinsburg area? Wonder if any thing to replace the Bob Evans in the Ranson area and the Ryan's that is at the Martinsburg Mall/Foxcroft Ave area.

Not that we would see it but have some friends and me hoping for a BJ Brew like over by FSK in Frederick, Md.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia