Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:26 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

This is a troubling development.

https://www.wboy.com/news/health/hiv...nia/1828367851
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 12:06 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
"HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (AP) - West Virginia heath officials say an active HIV cluster has been confirmed in Cabell County. A statement from the West Virginia Department of Public Health says there are 28 known cases, primarily among intravenous drug users."

Shocking

Old 03-05-2019, 02:50 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
"HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (AP) - West Virginia heath officials say an active HIV cluster has been confirmed in Cabell County. A statement from the West Virginia Department of Public Health says there are 28 known cases, primarily among intravenous drug users."

Shocking
Matt, unfortunately very predictable. It is near the largest (of WV's very few not very lg metros) city WV has to offer.

If this was virtually any other State in the Union, it'd be a blip on radar. I am not downplaying it but rather pointing out that WV has endemic problems re these issues, & needs alot closer look at programs, & the others involved (doctors, social workers, pastors, etc.) in reducing this problem, so it does not become a failed socio-economic area more so than it is already become (beared out by these terrible stats).

Old 03-05-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Matt, unfortunately very predictable. It is near the largest (of WV's very few not very lg metros) city WV has to offer.

If this was virtually any other State in the Union, it'd be a blip on radar. I am not downplaying it but rather pointing out that WV has endemic problems re these issues, & needs alot closer look at programs, & the others involved (doctors, social workers, pastors, etc.) in reducing this problem, so it does not become a failed socio-economic area more so than it is already become (beared out by these terrible stats).
I meant my shocking comment to the fact that the HIV cluster is related to drug usage. But I see your point also.

Sad either way though.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post

The folks in the Eastern Panhandle would take issue with that, I would suppose. If you are analyzing using "metros", one of the Nation's largest metros includes their part of West Virginia in it … the 7 million people DC/Baltimore area. They also have a major drug issue there though. Drug use is endemic to everywhere these days, but the HIV issue was thought to be pretty well controlled. That is what is especially troubling about this.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:35 PM

583 posts, read 594,193 times
Martinsburg is about as much DC Metro as Morgantown is Pittsburgh. Sure a case could be made but it’s a BIG stretch.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:50 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,511,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Martinsburg is about as much DC Metro as Morgantown is Pittsburgh. Sure a case could be made but it’s a BIG stretch.
I strongly disagree. The growth and suburban sprawl happening in Berkeley and Jefferson County is unprecedented for West Virginia and I will even argue we aren't even close to the peak yet.

Berkeley County Council's president said in a recent WEPM interview that Berkeley County alone records an average of 80-90 new addresses per week. Of those addresses that are not commercial, most of those people work in DC or surrounding areas (although Procter & Gamble at Tabler Station is playing a big role in this number).

In another interview, a Jefferson County delegate (forgive me...I can't remember which one) said an average of 17,000 people leave the county everyday for DC-area jobs. Most drive, but many catch Metro in Nova or Shady plus there is daily Amtrak through Berkeley/Jefferson.

On the floor of my Martinsburg apartment...3 out of my 4 neighbors are daily DC-area commuters.

I could go on but my point is you don't see numbers like these between Morgantown-Pittsburgh.

We are DC Metro.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
There is no question that there is a lot of interaction between NCWV and the 'Burgh, especially on weekends, but it is at a very different level in the Eastern Panhandle. I have to disagree with you on this one. They absolutely are very much involved with the DC/Baltimore "metro" in every way there. Until last year, I had immediate family living there and it was part of their weekly lives. The EP has basically been absorbed by the DC folks, and that continues to be more and more the case with every passing day. It is actually an amazing thing to see. In spite of the growth potential we have here in NCWV, which in West Virginia terms is amazing, the EP will definitely be the area to contend with going forward in this state. Give it another decade, and they will dominate the state politically. Growth there will be totally unstoppable from the DC/Balto spillover.

My opinion, within 15 years Berkeley County will be the most populated county in West Virginia, number 2 will be a tossup between Mon County and Kanawha, which will continue to be headed in opposite directions.
'

Old 03-11-2019, 10:24 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I strongly disagree. The growth and suburban sprawl happening in Berkeley and Jefferson County is unprecedented for West Virginia and I will even argue we aren't even close to the peak yet.

Berkeley County Council's president said in a recent WEPM interview that Berkeley County alone records an average of 80-90 new addresses per week. Of those addresses that are not commercial, most of those people work in DC or surrounding areas (although Procter & Gamble at Tabler Station is playing a big role in this number).

In another interview, a Jefferson County delegate (forgive me...I can't remember which one) said an average of 17,000 people leave the county everyday for DC-area jobs. Most drive, but many catch Metro in Nova or Shady plus there is daily Amtrak through Berkeley/Jefferson.

On the floor of my Martinsburg apartment...3 out of my 4 neighbors are daily DC-area commuters.

I could go on but my point is you don't see numbers like these between Morgantown-Pittsburgh.

We are DC Metro.
We have several people in my Tysons office who drive in from the Eastern Panhandle. I wouldn't wish their commute on my worst enemy but they seem to somehow make it work. There is definitely going to be a lot more growth headed out that way. Eastern Loudoun County is of the fastest growing areas in the country and under current zoning/ rate of growth they probably only have about 10-15 years of land left before things are largely built out. The part of Loudoun west of Leesburg to the WV border has rural zoning to protect the horse farms and vineyards which largely eliminates the ability for developers to build subdivisions- the next natural stop is Jefferson and Berkeley Counties and out towards Winchester. This area keeps growing and you can only build so much closer-in. When people have a choice of a townhouse or an older small single family house closer to DC or a nice new house with maybe a little acreage for the same price or less, it doesn't take much for some to accept the extra commute out to West Virginia.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
We have several people in my Tysons office who drive in from the Eastern Panhandle. I wouldn't wish their commute on my worst enemy but they seem to somehow make it work. There is definitely going to be a lot more growth headed out that way. Eastern Loudoun County is of the fastest growing areas in the country and under current zoning/ rate of growth they probably only have about 10-15 years of land left before things are largely built out. The part of Loudoun west of Leesburg to the WV border has rural zoning to protect the horse farms and vineyards which largely eliminates the ability for developers to build subdivisions- the next natural stop is Jefferson and Berkeley Counties and out towards Winchester. This area keeps growing and you can only build so much closer-in. When people have a choice of a townhouse or an older small single family house closer to DC or a nice new house with maybe a little acreage for the same price or less, it doesn't take much for some to accept the extra commute out to West Virginia.
For three summers I commuted from Falling Waters, WV to Washington DC for an internship with the government. My schedule was get up around 4AM and either head downtown to catch the train in Martinsburg or drive to Hagerstown to catch the bus. Every day I got home around 6-6:30 unless the weather was bad (if it was to hot the train would run slow, if it was raining the train would run slow, if there was a thunderstorm the train would run even slower). It was absolutely awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia