Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2006, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,730 times

Advertisements

My soon to be husband is considering a job at Glenville State College. What kind of job opportunities are available in the area. I am a recent college graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2006, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,728 times
Default Glenville jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by medmomdd
My soon to be husband is considering a job at Glenville State College. What kind of job opportunities are available in the area. I am a recent college graduate.
The college is the primary employer in Gilmer County, but recently a prison has been built which has advertised some jobs, they also buy many of their goods and services from the local economy so there may be opportunity there. A new Best Western has recently been built also. Glenville is a nice town you would enjoy it.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:42 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Thumbs up Family Roots are There

It's been a good 5 years since I've been to Glenville, WV. My late mother was born in Weston and grew up in the Glenville / Burnsville area.

Last time we took her there to see her last two family members the area was largely country, small scale farming, some beef and dairy cattle, some coal mining, small scale oil & gas wells, schools, and nursing homes. There may be some small manufacturing in the I-79 corridor. I get about $75/year in gas well royalties from mom's share of the old homestead (Move Over Rockefeller!!).

I believe the FBI built a major crime data center up in Clarksburg, which is still a bit of an active area, though a lot of the glass-bottle making has gone now since the arrival of plastic bottles and aluminum cans. You may have to commute some distance to find good work.

Sadly, my mom's home state ranks low in the health level of its people. Obesity and diabetes rates are high. Like many rural towns across the nation, Glenville population is declining, as the nation continues to hollow out in favor of large metropolitan areas.

Mom was born in 1916 and used to tell stories about the old town doctor coming out to make house calls....on horseback....Glenville and environs is nice country, a pretty area, with many fine citizens.

s/Mike

Old 06-21-2006, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,757 times
Hi. I just got back from Glenville. My cousin passed away. I haven't been there for years, but it had really changed for the better. They had a big street fair or some kind of "fronteer days" lots of people. cost of living is really decent and i am considering bying a small cheap place to stay there myself

Old 06-26-2007, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggs View Post
Hi. I just got back from Glenville. My cousin passed away. I haven't been there for years, but it had really changed for the better. They had a big street fair or some kind of "fronteer days" lots of people. cost of living is really decent and i am considering bying a small cheap place to stay there myself
The "fronteer days" that you refer to is actually the "West Virginia State Folk Festival". Just thought I would pass that along ...but I believe most of the employment here in Glenville that isn't at the college would be either at the prison or in fast food or retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia