Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:48 AM

240 posts, read 732,358 times

Advertisements

Very thougthful post, HL.

In response, I stated I'm not a sociologist and cannot tell you why poverty breeds more poverty. Yes, people from poor backgrounds do make it but they are usually an anomaly and a minority. There is some reason for that.

We agree that if people are happy with whatever lifestyle they live then so be it. I've seen happy poor people, unhappy poor people, happy wealthy people, unhappy wealthy people. This leads me to believe it is something within that makes you happy, not what you have or don't have. I could be wrong.

I see no reason to encourage someone who is perfectly content living however they live to change. I don't even begrudge the money I pay to support those on SSI. I don't even care if they're legitimate or not because I think most deserve it although you will always have a few that abuse the system. It just doesn't make sense to me to throw the baby out with the bathwater based on a minority of people.

I do not give out personal information on forums. This ain't Shangri La. It's the internet.

I will say this. I am not wealthy. I drive a car that's 11 years old. I'm still on dial up. Imagine that.

I would characterize my background as working class like most of WV.

I am just not materialistic and have never been. I have always thought people are more important than things and I don't have a lot of things nor do I need them. It is just the way I was wired.

My choice of occupation and education reflects that. I'll never make six figures and I don't even care.

I've seen the same things as you. Young people who have no desire to go to college and whose ambition is to get a job on the railroad. I encourage them to stay off drugs. That's it.

There is no shame in working on the railroad, in the mines or even at Walmarts IMHO.

Anyway, the new economy is going to bring a lot of folks down to that level.

I watched an interview with Jim Cramer on CNBC last night. This man who was the most bullish commentator on Wall Street at one time was advising people to get out of their houses and move in with their brothers or sisters or parents. He said "Lose your pride."

He was speaking from experience. He related that he had lived in his car and when his health began failing, he called his sister in Greenwich Village and asked if he could sleep on her floor.

His prognosis? The same man who said the ride would never end and buy, buy buy. Learn to live with the bare minimum because we're in for years of this new world.

Or in the words of REM: "It's the end of the world as we know it. And I feel fine." :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Vec paying dues isn't something the generation behind me appears to agree with-- right and wrong reasons are there. I think paying dues is important, however, as someone who had a history of being betrayed by paying dues only to have the rules change on me mid stream, I can see their cynicism calling it a carrot and stick policy. Experience is invaluable, however, and translates to business competence if you use it to your advantage. Professional advice I'd offer any generation- if the training you get is specific to the company and not the industry, your resume is not competitive. Keep command and control of your own resume by making sure you're current industry wide, don't allow yourself to be complacent relative to the company plan of what's good enough to get by on.
Good advice.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:06 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
I getting the seeds ready for spring...big garden coming again...

Old 10-21-2008, 02:26 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,999 times
Hi everyone!

How is the economy doing in Morgantown now? Are there still a bunch of construction jobs? My husband has been in construction for about ten years and can't find anything here in western NC,there is nothing going on. It normally slows down about November to February in this area, but even this past summer was extremely slow. We need to go somewhere I can finish school and he can work. I didn't think that was too much to ask,lol, but lately....

Thanks for any input!
Marian

Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 PM

Bridgeport, Wv has the 275 million dollar NEW National Archives going up near Jerry Dove...across the road is the gigantic United Hospital Center...and they have just broken ground for the new 320 million dollar federal weather/data site...forgot the name of that one...all of that with in 3/4 of a mile of each other...between the Saltwell and Jerry Dove exits...and part of the FBI campus....that's about 4,000 new jobs when it gets up to full steam...

hubby might check the Union Hall...as all of this work is prevailing wage...

Old 10-21-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Bridgeport, Wv has the 275 million dollar NEW National Archives going up near Jerry Dove...across the road is the gigantic United Hospital Center...and they have just broken ground for the new 320 million dollar federal weather/data site...forgot the name of that one...all of that with in 3/4 of a mile of each other...between the Saltwell and Jerry Dove exits...and part of the FBI campus....that's about 4,000 new jobs when it gets up to full steam...

hubby might check the Union Hall...as all of this work is prevailing wage...
Thank you SO much!! We aren't planning on going until this summer, but if he can actually get real work before then,he would definitely go before us. We will check into all of these options!

YOu def get rep points from me on this one!
Marian

Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Happee, Sounds like MoTown fits the bill for you. If you know of any retired building construction folk (or others) in NC looking to start their own business doing repair work around homes - PLEASE send them to Charleston. It so soooo hard to find someone to do the home repairs!!!! A person could have a great business here doing that (bummer would have to be paying for your own health insurance).

Old 10-22-2008, 05:41 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Vec ain't that the truth! Took me forever to find a contractor that wasn't a wannabe 'sort of' being licensed. (Is that like being sort of pregnant?) This old house needed old school brains, and the younger guys only seem to want new construction for the quickest buck formula. Plenty of opportunity here for those repair talents without a doubt. Be honest, keep your word & prices reasonable, you'd be in work for 20yrs or better.
I did find someone, but I'm not tellin you who he is until he finishes my job. hahahaha

Old 10-22-2008, 06:27 PM

That is great advice, I will keep that in mind! Thanks!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 PM

While I was getting my health back these past 4 years, I provided for us with a Handyman Service...One of the great ways for a retiree or part time worker to get by very well...an un-tapped market and only needing a simple business registration with the state...no job can be over $2500 and that runs a long gamut of diversified work...

I ran one $40 ad and never had to do it again...would encourage that line of work to anyone...anywhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia