Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 8,289 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are moving our family to the eastern pan handle. We absolutely love it there. We've made several day trips down to drive by houses that we see on redfin and realtor . com . Cloverdale looks like a nice establish development with good size lots. For some reason I'm drawn to the east side of Berryville pike. We're looking for at least a one acre lot. I'm wondering if I can get a custom built house with a mountain view on the eastern side of Berryville pike in the 250-300k range. I'm not looking for huge house, a 3000 sq/ft rancher with a finished basement and a two car garage would do the trick.

v/r
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:21 PM

380 posts, read 1,160,146 times
Hi, welcome to the panhandle.
I've lived in Jefferson County for about 36 years now and am currently a real estate appraiser; previously a remodeling & building contractor.
I doubt you'll get a new custom built 3000' ranch w/ basement finish and garage for that price. There have been a few sales of existing homes like that for your price range, but usually not of good quality construction. With the market slow down, I'm sure there are builders looking for work, but good custom builders still typically charge more than $100/sq ft.
I know several local builders and can give you some references depending on the quality level and style of home you want to build. Some of the best deals, if you can find a model you like, are modular homes.
I can't help you with a building lot on the south side of the County, but I do have the two lots which flank my home near Shepherdstown for sale. I also have my house for sale. The lots are 1.4Ac & 2.7Ac. The house on 3.9Ac is currently listed with the smaller building lot, but we would consider selling it without. You can look it up on realtor.com (Whitmer Rd., Shenandoah Jct.) They are unrestricted and on a county maintained road.
Let me know if you have any more specific questions about the area or building here. I'd be glad to try to help with any information I have.

Squintsul2003@yahoo.com

Old 04-22-2009, 07:18 PM

Clint, thanks for the welcome. I found your house and it's very nice! That workshop in addittion to the garage is perfect. I'm looking for something a little closer to rt 9 / 340 with an hour and 15 minutes to McLean. I don't have to commute every day (only 2 days a week). Our house here in Jersey settles on May 19th, then it's to the in-laws house for about 6 weeks to allow the kids to finish school. After that we'll most likely rent a place in Jefferson county while we build or buy existing.

Much appreciated.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:31 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
We are doing a 3 box Cape Cod on a crawlspace with 3 car garage for 319k. Square footage is 3500. It's a custom designed modular home being built for us near Harrisburg.

Stick building could not touch this costing....and it is a much better built home.

I would advise that you seek a good custom modular home builder in your area...

The key to the house is Code Conformity...If it can meet all the building codes it will be a bargain...If not..get out of their sales office as fast as you can.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 PM

Good luck in the search!
Sorry that my house won't work for you, but I guess that'll give me a chance to harvest the beans, cucumbers, lettuce, broccoli, corn, carrots, garlic, peas and edamame we've planted. Hopefully it will be a productive year and my honeybees will work hard at pollinating the garden and my fruit trees this year (they left unexpectedly last year).

I think anywhere in the county should put you within an hour and fifteen to McLean, especially as the new bypass gets finished. Looks like progress is being made again on the new section of Rt9 from the 340 bypass to VA. I would hope this will be done in a few years (it seems as though it's been forever in the planning and then in court).
I'm with David on the modulars, if you can get a plan you like they are usually the best deal going. I'm partial to Foremost for quality; I worked for Foremost for several years. They have a three section cape cod that can be put on a pre-cast foundation which is set by the same crew that sets the boxes. You can opt to have Foremost finish the upstairs, or your contractor, or take your time and finish it yourself. It's one of the best deals for the size.
Keep in mind that in Jefferson County you will have to pay the impacts fees for new construction. I think the current total is between $12,000 & $13,000. Then you have the building permit & well before you start digging for the foundation.
Honestly (even though I have two building lots for sale), at this point in time, unless you want a very unique home style and have the funds to pay for it, the best deals are existing houses. But, I think, and I hope, we may be at the turning point. It looks like most of the low price foreclosures and short sales are under contract and available homes are priced higher.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:28 AM

I've read several posts by folks saying they grow their own food down there. It surely sounds like a nice way of life. The house I grew up in here had a stable and several of the neighbors grew summer vegies, corn, etc. I happen to live on the same street that I grew up on, but things have changed so much over the years. We used to ride our bikes on the road in front of our house. There's too much traffic now. Hunters used to drive the woods where my house is located. Theres a huge park now behind my house. Thats where I used get lost for hours following the paths through the woods (as a kid).

I guess I'm looking to get away from this area where there's a ton of growth and move into another area where there's growth. It seems like the CT/HF area is still less densely populated than here, but I suspect in 20 years it's going to be like Leesburg. Well, 20 years til retirement. Perhaps I'll go further west at that time.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:46 AM

I suppose it's perspective. Living here all my life, it has changed, but there is still a lot of wide open space. It's just busier than it had been. With the recent real estate downturn, growth has mostly stopped and I suspect it will return at a very slow rate for some time, as there were more houses built (townhouses & homes on 1/4ac lots) than there are people to live in them. I've also heard of people finding that the daily commute was more than they anticipated and have moved back to towards the city.
You'll be able to find a property that fits what you want. There are still lots of back roads without much traffic. I got up this morning and could see the sun breaking over the mountains to the east as I looked across my neighbors pasture. He's got 30+ acres and has horses next to me. We also used to have goats, but with trying to sell the house we were concerned some people wouldn't like the idea, but I didn't get rid of the chickens; I can't give up my fresh eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia