Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:34 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times

Advertisements

And try and stay on topic
Yac

Old 05-24-2007, 10:41 AM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
No one has mentioned Hampshire County yet, so I will chime in. Hampshire County is very rural just like the other counties mentioned. It has alot of farms, alot of forest. Alot of deer. I once saw a herd of about 40 of them outside of Augusta, no lie. Romney is the only town of any significant size. The biggest difference between Hampshire County and the others you mentioned is that the Eastern edge of Hampshire County is within commuting distance of Winchester, VA. This means that the place is "on the map" for the Washingtonians. Of course, there is nothing close to the level of development that is going on in the Eastern Panhandle of WV, but there are some new residents, vacation houses, stores, etc. being built. The population is as of 2006 only 22,400, but this is up 6,000 people from the 1990total of 16,400.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 07:39 PM

64 posts, read 321,014 times
Buckhannon is a nice, smaller sized city. I know of absolutely no reason not to consider it. I have heard things about Elkins that where not real flattering, however, I blew them off as ridiculous. Sticking to the facts, both Buckhannon and Elkins would be good choices.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:17 PM

31 posts, read 117,694 times
Smile Hardy County

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL88 View Post
right now i have narrowed it down to hampshire,hardy,grant,pendleton,randolph,tucker,ba rbour,taylor and preston counties....anyone got any info on these or can tell me what theyre like?
I live in Hardy County, WV which is the second fastest growing county in West Virginia. We moved here from the Annapolis, MD area when we retired and have been here for almost 11 years. We have been very well accepted and have made many, many new friends in this area. The beauty is beyond belief with a more natural sites to visit than you can ever imagine. The parks are beautiful beyond belief. The closest town to us is Moorefield which is a delightful, backward area. There is a 23 hour Wal-Mart, library, several nice restaurants in addition to Subway, McD's, Hardee's with KFC and Taco Bell coming in the near future. We have a nice library, bowling alley, live theatre (McCoy Theatre) and Cinema Six for some entertainment. High school sports are really BIG here. There is a new highway that will eventually connect with Elkins to the west with the other end being Wardensville in the east. Eventually this road will meet up with 81 and make a commute to Washington or Northern VA a real treat.
We are interested in selling our beautiful home and moving to the Wake Forest, NC area to be closer to children and grandchildren. Good luck to you and, hopefully, I have helped a little with information on Hardy County.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:19 PM

31 posts, read 117,694 times
The crime in Moorefield in Hardy County is almost nil!!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 6,830 times
Smile Buckhannon

I lived in Buckhannon many years and loved it. Close enough to Morgantown, ski slopes, etc. Great small town to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia