Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:17 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times

Advertisements

Statistically, without knowing the standard deviation of the data, it's impossible to tell if the difference between WV and Utah (or WV and the national average) is statistically significant or not. I "followed the links" to the report, and didn't find SD there, either. I hate it when statistics are quoted and the report leaves out critical information.

More importantly, how is "happiness" defined? (If such a question can ever be answered objectively.) The mental definition that a WVian has may have a different standard than someone from Utah or Hawaii.

Unfortunately, it's the conclusion that gets remembered, and only serves to perpetuate the ignorant, uneducated, unemployed hillbilly stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 10:52 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
More importantly, how is "happiness" defined? (If such a question can ever be answered objectively.) The mental definition that a WVian has may have a different standard than someone from Utah or Hawaii.
I wondered about this too. What makes people happy? Employment? Family nearby? Great hobbies? Pets? Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Unfortunately, it's the conclusion that gets remembered, and only serves to perpetuate the ignorant, uneducated, unemployed hillbilly stereotype.
Yes, I find this stereotype annoying. Everything I mention WV people make snarky remarks about "them parts" and how backward and underdeveloped it is. And some of this comes from people I grew up with from South Jersey (where we have our own breed of hillybilly!!!)

Old 11-25-2009, 11:20 AM

8 posts, read 16,570 times
Wow, but somehow we manage to keep a smile on our faces and be nice to everyone

Old 11-25-2009, 01:45 PM

7 posts, read 16,424 times
You got it right, Goldie. The smile you give to someone will come back to you someday. I'm a big believer in the snowball effect of goodness. One little kindness could change the world.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

TrysB

Old 11-25-2009, 01:49 PM

8 posts, read 16,570 times
Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-25-2009, 03:37 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
Default me too

And I'll add . . . Happy, Happy Thanksgiving to all! Best wishes in sharing special days with friends, family and loved ones!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:21 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
If The Bronx were a state by itself, it would rank #1. This really doesn't say anything.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:09 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
How can Marshall fans be the nicest, in the most unhappy state?

Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
I've heard that in asylums almost every patient is smiling, the smallest things like a finger in front of ones nose may trigger a fit of happy laughter. Utah dwellers do appear little bit happier than average, no bull, it must have something to do with LDS church, not because it figured things out, but simply because it preserves sense of community somewhat better than a generic baptist etc. gossip Temple.

Yup, WV unhappiness and poverty are visible. It's not because people are poorer (little bit) than the rest, it's because they have little else than material race to live for, the race they know they've lost. Drug abuse was unheard of among the first settlers who lived much more wretched life than an average WV trailer dweller. Yet, much more opulent modern poors use the drugs and fatty foods to escape their world. Why? Rat race doesn't inspire them, and there is little else to live for if you are a poor.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:45 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I've heard that in asylums almost every patient is smiling, the smallest things like a finger in front of ones nose may trigger a fit of happy laughter. Utah dwellers do appear little bit happier than average, no bull, it must have something to do with LDS church, not because it figured things out, but simply because it preserves sense of community somewhat better than a generic baptist etc. gossip Temple.

Yup, WV unhappiness and poverty are visible. It's not because people are poorer (little bit) than the rest, it's because they have little else than material race to live for, the race they know they've lost. Drug abuse was unheard of among the first settlers who lived much more wretched life than an average WV trailer dweller. Yet, much more opulent modern poors use the drugs and fatty foods to escape their world. Why? Rat race doesn't inspire them, and there is little else to live for if you are a poor.
what a good post! Sad but true withone exception, you can get out of poverty. I know personally one person who was dirt poor living in a rust belt with nothing, and is now very well off from hard work, education and good morals. My DAD!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia