Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 03:19 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times

Advertisements

I saw this article ranking the USA states as "Happiest". WV came in last. I was surprised. Does anyone agree/disagree with this?

Want to be happier? You may need to move - Mental health- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 06:09 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
Wow, so you mean states with more people in poverty are less happy in general? Incredible sociological investigating.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:57 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,215 times
Doesn't surprise me. Virginia is about right where it should be too, imo

Old 11-25-2009, 01:56 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
When I saw that the feed was coming from msnbc I moved out of the link...enough for me.

It's a credibility issue...nothing personal.

Why do people continue to churn this bull&it?

Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 AM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
lmao...you DO know that MSNBC didn't do the study, right?

Old 11-25-2009, 04:54 AM

773 posts, read 2,630,183 times
The title of the article is a hoot:
HAPPIEST U.S. STATES ARE WEALTHY AND TOLERANT
Utah tops list, ...
Utah? Tolerant? Tolerant if you are a member of the LDS. For other folks, not so much. Utah is the very last place I'd want to live.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:14 AM

246 posts, read 880,258 times
This ought to sum it up

Last edited by kookamus; 11-25-2009 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: edited for spelling

Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 AM

7 posts, read 16,420 times
I’m always suspicious about polls and pollsters so I took a look at the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index website [http://www.well-beingindex.com/]. I’ve heard of the Gallup polls of course, but this Healthways thing was new to me. They say Gallup-Healthways is the ‘official’ measure for health and well being in America. OK. I guess Gallup is good at polling because they’ve been doing it for umpteen years, but who is Healthways? If you click on About Us at the top of the Gallup webpage you will see a link to Healthways. I went there and this is what I found: they are a company that sells ‘solutions’ for healthcare problems.

I guess West Virginia is supposed to run to Healthways now and beg them to come up with a plan to make everyone in the state happy. Well, as the MSNBC report said, there’s not much of a percent spread between Utah at 69.2 and WVa at 61.2. All polls have a degree of uncertainty that could be as much as 5% depending on the questions and how they are asked.

I’ve never met anyone in WVa who said they were unhappy. They might have been mad about some environmental or local government problem, but overall they are just as happy, healthy and tolerant as people in other states.

The media loves to put these stories out there because they attract people to the website which is good for selling ads and generating income. Got to always be skeptical when reading stuff like this and ALWAYS check out the source!

Old 11-25-2009, 08:27 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
I do know some unhappy people in general, but i figure that goes on just about anywhere. I don't think they are unhappy just because they live in WV.

I'm not happy all of the time, but that's natural and healthy to be that way. I don't blame it on geography.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:55 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Default good perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrysB View Post
I’ve never met anyone in WVa who said they were unhappy. They might have been mad about some environmental or local government problem, but overall they are just as happy, healthy and tolerant as people in other states.
I agree. Folks I've met from WV don't look miserable at all to me. In fact, I was at a wedding recently (a co-worker) and had to say it was one of the best weddings I've been too. Everyone laughing and dancing - just fabulous-- something I don't always see in weddings (especially when people don't know each other).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrysB View Post
The media loves to put these stories out there because they attract people to the website which is good for selling ads and generating income. Got to always be skeptical when reading stuff like this and ALWAYS check out the source!
Good point. Now I begin to suspect that the "ills" of WV now need to be solved with medical, pharmaceutical, research centers, etc. Wasn't there a recent article on medical/scientific research moving into WV? Good news for the economy and "justifiable" by such articles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia