Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:14 PM

176 posts, read 730,274 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I have not made a decision yet but over this summer we are looking to buy in the burbs, we have narrowed the search down to Westchester, Long Island and Bergen County NJ. My husband loves Westerchester as he finds it great and diverse. I personally like Long Island as it is close to my job which means I will be able to keep my job and we could increase our price tag a bit. If we choose Westchester we have lower our price as I have to quit my job and be a stay at home mom. We have twin girls that are two now so a big school district is important as one has special needs. Is it possible we can look at homes close to 400k range and be able to negotiate to about our price point? Will we be able to get 3 bedroom 2 bath and finish basement for that amount? The house does not need to be up to date just in good condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 04:25 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,835 times
In the upper 300's you can probably get a decent ranch on a smaller lot in northern Yorktown (Shrub Oak, Jefferson Valley, Granite Springs), most of Cortlandt, and parts of Ossining (like Indian Village or other areas on the edge of the village); a smaller, less attractive ranch in some parts of Yorktown Heights; a lovely vintage house in Peekskill; or a really small but cute older house in parts of Cortlandt Manor, Yorktown, and Ossining. (There's an amazing 1700's house in the center of Yorktown Heights that's been on the market for a long time and is now at 375K.) You should have options.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 PM

132 posts, read 515,006 times
If you need help thinking through school districts with a kid with special needs, IM me, as I just research all of that in most parts of Westchester before we finally bought in Cortlandt Manor.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 AM

This is great to year, now I'm excited I was a bit worry we might not find anything decent in our price range. Mclairch-I've I'm you, I would love to pick your brain.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:38 PM

16 posts, read 32,730 times
I just got a home for 365,000 4 bedrooms, 1/5 baths, playroom on one floor and sub basement on 1/2 acre in Yorktown Heights. I was looking in LI as well, Nassau County, Suffolk too far for husbands work and found I am getting a much bigger house and land for less money. I was looking in the Herricks School District and Great Neck. The house is move in ready, but we will do some updating.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyofcooking View Post
I just got a home for 365,000 4 bedrooms, 1/5 baths, playroom on one floor and sub basement on 1/2 acre in Yorktown Heights. I was looking in LI as well, Nassau County, Suffolk too far for husbands work and found I am getting a much bigger house and land for less money. I was looking in the Herricks School District and Great Neck. The house is move in ready, but we will do some updating.
That is awesome OMG I am so happy that gives me hope move in condition? I cant wait to start looking, what is your taxes for that property?

Old 02-12-2011, 07:16 PM

taxes w/o star is 11k, but I will try to get them reassessed.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:19 PM

Also...we just found out that we will no longer pay the city tax since we will not live there so hubby's check will be more $$ weekly.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:26 AM

122 posts, read 371,205 times
I think you can get a nice house in Yorktown for around that price. There is a house just listed for $395K... nice neighborhood, 3 bed, 2 bath 1550 sq ft split level.. looks like it's in great shape too.
Take a look at any of the major Realtor sites... looks like a good time to buy.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:43 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
Honestly we never looked that far up, but I'm curious what the train commute is and the schools are from those towns vs. Chappaqua and lower Westchester?

After some searching, we sort of mentally dismissed Chappaqua and the likes as we found that they aren't really cheaper than lower Westchester, just that you get a lot more land, which coming from LA, we really didn't want or need. But these prices are 1/3 of Chappaqua and the like. Why? It wouldn't appear that much further. Are they all far from stations? Inferior schools?

I know we would never consider Ossining but what about Yorktown and Cortland? We don't even need a house that cheap (could easily do 2x that if needed), but it would be nice to get a newer house with 2500 sq. ft or more. All of these 1925 era houses we've seen creep me out. I don't even know where the problems with them would begin or end!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County