Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2011, 07:09 PM

866 posts, read 2,485,536 times

Advertisements

Specifically, about Orienta. I'd like to know first of all if it is known to flood (I've read about a couple of recent floods, in 2007 and 2010, but can't find specifically if this area was badly affected).

I also get the feeling that it is full of families with young kids, am I correct? I know that it is zoned for Central and I'm fine with that. Does anyone who lives in the Mamaroneck/Larchmont area want to chime in with impressions? It seems like an excellent, walkable neighborhood in a fabulous location, with parks and beaches within walking distance. Am I missing anything?

And is it in the Village or the Town (or both)? I'm confused on that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 07:22 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
Much of Orienta is in a flood zone, that is true. I don't know how severe, but I'm pretty sure that almost every home there needs flood insurance. We looked at homes there, and yes there were many families there, but what turned me off the most about it was that it seemed to be overrun with nannies and au pairs. I saw very few SAHM's there (or should I say SAHM's without help), which may or may not matter to you. It is close to Harbor Island, but that is kind of a tourist trap and is a really terrible example of a beach but great if you have a boat. I think that there might be a private club that you can join if you live there but I don't know for certain. It's not really that walkable, depending on how far out on the peninsula you are - certainly not to the train. I have friends that live there and love it. It is pretty for sure.

FWIW, for the money I'd rather be in Larchmont Manor or Shore Acres, but that's a personal preference. Orienta is not part of Larchmont at all - not sure if it is in the village of MM. We chose to go further inland in Larchmont to get the bigger house vs. better water access, as our budget was under $1M. But if I had unlimited funds, I would absolutely go east of the Post Road.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:36 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Shore Acres is nice. If you're going east of the Boston Post road as Jjinla suggests, you'll have to make sure your going to be able to park at the station or be dropped off. Thats pretty easy with Mamaroneck due to the village parking lots (with no wait list unlike the MNRR lot). Also, you'll be wanting to board the train at Mamaroneck, and not Larchmont which is an unholy scrum in the morning rush.
Harbor Island park is beautiful in all seasons, with lovely views, with the stone harbor wall, the wooden fishing pier and the yachts. Go there early in the morning you'll find the anglers buying bait, people walking their dogs and locals running. Later in the day people play field sports and families go to the beach. The annual fireman's carnival there is also great for tweens. The boatyards are just up the way, and the masts make a nice backdrop. The beach is obviously a paddling beach, which toddlers love. No-one would consider it, or any beach on the Sound, a real beach. For that you need to drive to the Atlantic beaches (eg Fire island).
The town is very walkable, and the main street is bustling. Plenty of outside cafes, the quirky cinema, block parties (they shut main street and people party), jazz in the park etc. There are the local indoor swimming pool, ice rink and tennis courts. There's old time bakeries and pasta-making stores on Main st. also.
Orienta has the same problem that most wealthier sections (relative) in suburbs do - people tend to pay for all services (gardening, nannying, dog walking even) and so tend to be not around so much themselves, or imprison themselves indoors for some reason. On the computer perhaps, perusing City-data. You will find individual familes who are more outgoing and interactive and break the mould, but its a crapshoot. The main complaint I have about Mamaroneck is no really good coffee shop.
We moved from the city, Brooklyn, and we did a lot of research in the NJ and NY suburbs. After a while we realized that not all suburbs are the same, just like not all cities are the same. Some are just bedroom communities. Some are just full of beautiful castles on large lots in splendid isolation - or plenty of space for shooting yourself as I see it. Some are drive drive drive. I ilke my car, but I don't want to be a slave to it.

As for flooding, the flooded areas in the last big flood were the low lying areas around the Mamaroneck River, not Orienta. I should think that Orienta is more likely affected by sea flooding from hurricanes.

Orienta is definitely within the Town of Mamaroneck, whether it is also in the Village I don't know. Its all pretty arcane.

Last edited by bg7; 08-22-2011 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: lots of typos

Old 08-22-2011, 11:32 AM

866 posts, read 2,485,536 times
Interesting to hear about the impression you got about the nannies and au-pairs, although, really, we are in Westchester...

I guess the issue is, we saw a great house that seems to fit us perfectly and we're wondering what the "problems" are, if indeed there are any. You know, you see a house that you love and think, why is this house on the market? Why hasn't it sold yet? Why are these people moving? There HAS to be something wrong! We like being by the water and we like boating, the "beach" is perfectly adequate for my 3 year old (and 6 month old for that matter), it's a walkable neighborhood and we love Mamaroneck Ave...so what could the issues be???

Yes, we are overanalyzing, but this is what we didn't do when we first moved back up to NY and we are now trying to find a better "fit" for us. We have enough money to live very comfortably but we aren't flashy about it (I don't think anyways... I drive a Highlander and not an X5 even though I could afford one, ya know?

If anybody else has information or impressions about Orienta and Mamaroneck I'd love to hear it! Thanks!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:26 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
What I was mainly getting at re: the nannies and au pairs is kind of what BG was also alluding to - that the more hired help you have, the less neighborhoody it feels since the kids rarely are seen outside, nor the property owners since everything from gardening to housekeeping to child rearing are all farmed out. And maybe that IS an upper class thing, but the neighborhoods that have less expensive homes just seem warmer and more alive to me.

As for why the home hasn't sold, without knowing the exact home I couldn't tell you, and to be honest I'm really not familiar with the over $1M market. But our realtor is based in Larchmont and lives in the Manor and knows the whole area very well so if you want her number or email, PM me and I'll put you in touch. She's not pushy at all if you are just looking for a some info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County