Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 33,850 times

Advertisements

I am single and in my 40's, looking to move along the Metro North rail. Was thinking Rye or Larchmont, possibly Stamford but a bit far of a commute into the city. I'd like to be within a 45 minute commute. If you're saying all this about the area, where to do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moochi007 View Post
I am single and in my 40's, looking to move along the Metro North rail. Was thinking Rye or Larchmont, possibly Stamford but a bit far of a commute into the city. I'd like to be within a 45 minute commute. If you're saying all this about the area, where to do you suggest?
Well, not Rye or Larchmont, that's for sure. Lots more going in Stamford, probably worth the commute.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:11 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Kletter is correct, even though he contradicts himself. Live in NYC. There is no singles scene in suburbia to speak of. Do not live in White Plains unless you want to date uneducated Proles on Match.com.
Wow. You're really running around calling people Proles?
Just wow.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 33,850 times
So if you are a single, professional who works in manhattan, in your early 40's, where do you recommend living? I'm moving back to the ny area and was thinking rye or larchmont. Want a train commute under 45 mins and loking for a rental around 2000/mos. Have always lived in major cities so looking for a area with great stores and restaurants....

Old 10-02-2012, 03:50 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moochi007 View Post
So if you are a single, professional who works in manhattan, in your early 40's, where do you recommend living? I'm moving back to the ny area and was thinking rye or larchmont. Want a train commute under 45 mins and loking for a rental around 2000/mos. Have always lived in major cities so looking for a area with great stores and restaurants....
So, you "Have always lived in major cities so looking for a area with great stores and restaurants...."?? When you strip away the noise, the only reason towns like Larchmont and Rye exist is as bedroom communities for families with 1 (or both) parents commuting to NYC. You don't seem to be saying you're sick of major cities. So, without a clearer idea of what you're looking for, the obvious answer is Manhattan.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,815 times
Default I'm the same boat.

Hey Zara,

I'm possibly taking a job in White Plains starting in a few months, and currently living in Pasadena. I'm originally from NJ, so I'm familiar with the area a bit. This one guy who keeps saying White Plains sucks must be jaded - people who live there that I've spoken with say that it's up and coming on the whole late 20's/early 30's professional singles scene. Living in NYC would be more painful than anything if you work in Tarrytown, unless your job is next to the train station.

Have you heard about any other good places in Westchester?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zara-13 View Post
This thread made me laugh... and then want to cry. I make decent money, and will be moving from Los Angeles to NY. Working in Tarrytown, and looking for affordable rentals (let's say 1300 for a nice studio?), but looking also for a fair commute and a singles scene.

Where would I live?

Thanks much!

Old 12-23-2012, 07:17 AM

7 posts, read 10,299 times
This thread made me laugh. I grew up in northern Westchester, the wisdom here was common knowledge amongst my friends. I even had a friend that reverse commuted from Manhattan to Peekskill for 2 years.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:55 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arusha View Post
This thread made me laugh. I grew up in northern Westchester, the wisdom here was common knowledge amongst my friends. I even had a friend that reverse commuted from Manhattan to Peekskill for 2 years.
Exactly.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:08 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,756 times
Live in NYC. Period.
Live off credit cards and declare bankruptcy in a few years if you have to.

The professional dating scene in Westchester is nonexistent.
Just nannies, guidettes, secretaries, middle aged divorces, single moms,
and undesirables 20s with menial job/no career, big debt, partial degree, living at home, failure to launch, etc.

Single educated professionals who grew up here ALL move to NYC.
Most single professionals with jobs up here commute from NYC.
Professionals who are stuck living here are starting to get married at age 26 again to any co-worker they can find.
Married educated transplanted professionals are common in the better towns. But, you're not dating them.

Everyone in this stupid forum will bash my response, but you will find out the hard way.
Let the ad hominem attacks begin.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:14 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Live in NYC. Period.
Live off credit cards and declare bankruptcy in a few years if you have to.

The professional dating scene in Westchester is nonexistent.
Just nannies, guidettes, secretaries, middle aged divorces, single moms,
and undesirables 20s with menial job/no career, big debt, partial degree, living at home, failure to launch, etc.

Single educated professionals who grew up here ALL move to NYC.
Most single professionals with jobs up here commute from NYC.
Professionals who are stuck living here are starting to get married at age 26 again to any co-worker they can find.
Married educated transplanted professionals are common in the better towns. But, you're not dating them.

Everyone in this stupid forum will bash my response, but you will find out the hard way.
Let the ad hominem attacks begin.
Well, you could live in Westchester and date someone who lives in Manhattan. Duh.

I met my wife on a blind date. I lived in Yonkers, she lived in Murray Hill. It took me 30 minutes to get there.

Your post is beyond stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County