Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,877 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a single mother in her mid-twenties of 2 boys planning to move from NYC to Westchester and purchase my 1st home. I am of a mixed race and would like to live in an area with lots of diversity and neighborhood of families around my age. I am looking into Yonkers, Mount Vernon, and New Rochelle. I would love a house with lots of land space. I have been very successful with finding lots of single family homes for around my budget $400,000 with lots of land, but my only problem is if the neighborhood is fit for my family. I want to put my boys into a private school that they can both go to together like PreK-12th (my boys are 4 yrs apart) that has a lot of different student activities programs like sports, etc. and is close to the house or has bus service. I also want a neighborhood that has a shopping center close by and a train close by just in case my car isn't available but still need to get to work in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:53 AM

10 posts, read 32,337 times
The areas you mentioned have areas with access to trains, the risk is the area right around the train station can be dicey depending on where you plan to live. There are private schools in Yonkers some are on Yonkers avenue. I live in Yonkers and one of my relatives lives in New Rochelle. I think it depends on what you want the most. Easy access to train, private school should narrow your search. I am not happy with the area I live in because it can be nice one minute and then not so nice the next and that is how Yonkers and Mount Vernon are set up. Take a look at Trulia and you can get crime rate and school information.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:23 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB10452 View Post
Hi, I am a single mother in her mid-twenties of 2 boys planning to move from NYC to Westchester and purchase my 1st home. I am of a mixed race and would like to live in an area with lots of diversity and neighborhood of families around my age. I am looking into Yonkers, Mount Vernon, and New Rochelle. I would love a house with lots of land space. I have been very successful with finding lots of single family homes for around my budget $400,000 with lots of land, but my only problem is if the neighborhood is fit for my family. I want to put my boys into a private school that they can both go to together like PreK-12th (my boys are 4 yrs apart) that has a lot of different student activities programs like sports, etc. and is close to the house or has bus service. I also want a neighborhood that has a shopping center close by and a train close by just in case my car isn't available but still need to get to work in NYC.
you might be better off trying a little more north, say white plains or ossining. yonkers/mt vernon is a littler ghetto and your kids might be influenced in a bad way. and yes some people on here will deny it vehemently, but don;t let them give you false security. its a jungle out there.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:19 AM

305 posts, read 1,895,217 times
The Fleetwood section on Mt Vernon is nicee as are certain parts of Yonkers (Not near the train though). I think the Greystone section of Yonkers isn't too bad. I would also consider Tarrytown and White Plains. Tarrytown is a really nice town, is diverse and has a train station. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County