Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 PM

265 posts, read 488,185 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Nashville and have lived in Atlanta for 7 years in the early 2000s. Nashville is a great city to be--the economy is booming, it's becoming a foodie's paradise, and cost of living isn't as high as in Atlanta. No state income tax means generally, a bump up in your paycheck. Traffic isn't nearly as terrible as traffic in Atlanta was. If you can translate your skills in technology to something in the healthcare field you'll have a good chance at a job. People here are generally friendly and helpful. Not all of the schools are as bad as the rest of the nation makes them out to be--many do compare favorably to top schools anywhere in the country (magnet options, private, and public). Overall, this is a great place to live if you are looking for the kind of lifestyle you seem to be.

Ironically, we are looking at moving from Nashville to your neck of the country in the next 18 months or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
How does Louisville KY ribs compare with Carolina ribs? Which goes better with bourbon and cigars?
Carolina ribs are probably better, BUT....the food scene in Louisville BLOWS OUT anywhere in NC. By a longshot. If you looked at those awards alone that Louisville won this year, you will see many of them are for being a top restaurant city.

There are some good ribs in the Louisville MSA, though. My favorite are Feast BarbQ in New Albany, IN, Smoketown USA in the gentrifying smoketown neighborhood, and Doc Crow's on Whiskey Row in downtown.

Louisville has by far the best bourbon scene as bourbon is by definition native to KY. Come and check out the urban bourbon trail and then do the distillery tours in the countryside.

http://www.bourboncountry.com/index.aspx

Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,756 times
Why are you unhappy in NY? You sound bored. Moving is not going to solve what is missing on the inside.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:59 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
Someone that named themselves "should have left 914" really needs to ask someone else why they are unhappy in NY?

Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 PM

287 posts, read 593,803 times
I tell everyone to move south - less Liberals down there.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 PM

185 posts, read 422,842 times
I am older now, and live here, but would like to go south, stalled due to the housing mkt. here. Been to /researched most of the cities mentioned above and would agree with most suggestions. Would definitely agree with Atlanta or Raleigh area over Charlotte though - it is a family city, and appealing to my needs, but I spend a lot of time on the Charlotte boards and I can't even count the amount of complaints I see regarding young single people having not enough "city" entertainment. Anyway, my advice would be, research and apply for a job, pick a city where you get one and GO!! Experience! you can always move back! you aren't settled yet - take advantage of that! I have lived around the country when I was your age and was ultimately drawn back here due to family. When I was 23, the company I worked for transferred me to Kansas City! I was in a panic - the Midwest would not have been my choice!!! Ended up ther were HUGE benefits to being a young New Yorker in a smaller city..

Cool apartments/neighborhoods were more affordable and possible to live in...
I was able go "go with" being a newbie from NY- it was a great for conversation and resulted in a little "mystery" as I was not a local - I got a lot of dates as a single girl, and made a lot of friends....
I could afford to go out and do things and had the time to do them vs. the competitive nature and scraping by that I did when working in NYC.....

I may not have chosen to stay in KC, but it was a fun 20's experience that I wouldn't trade, and I learned that there are many great and more affordable cities/lifestyles outside of NY - the earth does not end here.....It all depends on what lifestyle is important to you.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 AM

454 posts, read 763,863 times
For what it's worth, I'm from lower Westchester and moved to Dallas in my twenties. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. Even though you will miss NY, you will not miss the congestion and the little narrow winding roads packed with commuters. It is much less expensive to live in Texas (or anywhere other than NY,) and the people here are so polite and friendly, I thought they were all doing cocaine when I first arrived.

I don't know if this would be too far west for you, but you can't believe the stereotypes that New Yorkers come up with regarding other places. It is so easy to live here, I found myself thinking, "Shouldn't I be worrying about something?"

I love NY, but there is a physical dumpiness about a large part of it, and an indifference or a slight crabbiness that pervades the people. I think life is hard there, even in the best circumstances.

I never realized these things until I moved away
Dallas is a wonderful city if you're a foodie, or a single person, or a musician, or anything really. If you are used to NY, a change would be good. You can always move back.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 PM

475 posts, read 853,078 times
I left New York for a little country town in Virginia, I like it here cause it's a slower pace that allows you to breath. You don't have to be rich to live here, just friendly down to earth people. There are more Yankees in the south today then up north. People just got fed up with high taxes and everything else that comes along with being a New Yorker.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Just found out that Pfizer and Hilton operare their shared services out of Memphis.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:15 AM

5 posts, read 13,749 times
Default New Yorker Looking to move South

Hi,
I am also hoping for some advice on relocating south. I am not sure whether moving to North or South Carolina (or even Georgia) would be the best fit- to be honest I don’t know much about either, other than I was going to go to college in Charleston, SC…
I am 27 years old and I grew up in Westchester, NY. I then went to Maryland for college and moved back into NYC after graduation to do the whole ‘single with roommates in the city’ thing. I quickly realized that city living was not for me, so although I work there (for a city hospital staffing medical professionals in HR), I moved back to Westchester (the burbs) and commute to work every day.
I definitely need a change of pace. NY is not really where I want to be at this point in my life, and I realized I am a small town girl at heart. I do enjoy being close enough to young city life, but I rather be somewhere a bit warmer, friendlier, and close to a smaller city. NY is just too big, too fast, too expensive, and too dirty!
I am very active, so being outdoors is a passion of mine (running, hiking, biking)- Being close to the ocean or a lake is really what I am hoping for. I also enjoy meeting new people and eating really great food, so going out to fun restaurants for drinks/dinner with friends is pretty much what I like doing rather than going to a lounge/club. I am big into my family/ friends here and I have a big support system in NY, so it will be a big move for me- I guess I will need to be a in pretty young, populated area in order to make new friends, which I am looking forward to!
Any advice?

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County