Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,856 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've just accepted a position right next to Ground Zero and will be commuting from the White Plains train station. I don't have a parking permit and understand they aren't even available at the moment, so I believe I'll need to use the non-permit commuter parking meters. I've also heard you can park in the County Center, is that still true? My only concern is I plan on catching the 8:43 train out of White Plains and am wondering if that's a little late to be hoping to find parking still available. Can anyone comment on this? I'm also open to parking at North White Plains, but White Plains is a bit closer.

My other question is, what would be the best way to get from Grand Central down to Ground Zero? Would I be better off taking the 4,5 subway down to Fulton Street or would I be better off walking to Times Square and taking the 2,3 down to Chambers Street? My experience with the 4,5 has been that it's usually very full, perhaps more towards 9:30 it will be a little less so?

I've also found some of the information online regarding metro north passes confusing. Where is the best place to purchase round trip metro north fare for M-F? Is there a month metro card pass available as well?

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 08:41 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
All trains are full , 2,3,4,5 are the worst but they are express , theres also the R train to Cortlandt Street but thats a local... Its not a long commute from GCT about 15-20mins.... I don't about parking , its a mess over there. The Passes are for "Male or "Female"....

Old 01-14-2013, 12:50 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
With the 4/5, the trains tend to empty out (using that term very loosely) at 14th Street. If you can tolerate the crowds for one express stop, you should be alright. (Because even at 9:30, the trains will probably still be packed, just not quite as much as say 8AM). Otherwise, make your way to the (2)(3).

Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 AM

94 posts, read 214,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
All trains are full , 2,3,4,5 are the worst but they are express , theres also the R train to Cortlandt Street but thats a local... Its not a long commute from GCT about 15-20mins.... I don't about parking , its a mess over there. The Passes are for "Male or "Female"....
You can hardly call any subway ride in Manhattan "Express" these days. I've found that the local #6 is faster from 125th street to 59th Street than any 4/5 in the morning rush & much less congested. And my ride is usually between 7:15 and 7:30am.

At later hours in the morning (post rush), the 4/5 train ride might be a little more light. My wife used to do the 4/5 into Fulton Street and walked to the Path for her commute to Jersey City. That is right by Ground Zero. Can't help you with parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County