Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,809 times

Advertisements

So I have an internship in Manhattan this summer and I have two place to live for free. One in Yonkers and the other in Clifton NJ. I was just wondering what type of commute I could expect from these places and my best option to get there. My internship is right by the intersection of East 32nd and Park Ave. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no clue about New York transit. Thanks!

-Trep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 06:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Yonkers would definitely be an easier commute. You can take Metro-North to Grand Central and then walk a few blocks (assuming you're near a Metro-North station. Otherwise, you'd have to take a bus to access Metro-North)

By contrast, coming from Clifton requires you to take a bus through the Lincoln Tunnel (even though there's a bus lane, there can often be congestion getting into it), and then making your way across town from the PABT. Either that, or taking the train to Secaucus, transferring to another train, and then making your way crosstown from Penn Station. Anything involving crossing the Hudson River is going to be harder than anything that doesn't.

However, it depends on what part of Yonkers you're at. The southwest part of Yonkers has a high crime rate, and if you're not used to that type of environment, then I'd recommend sticking with Clifton (which is safe throughout).

If you don't mind, what sections of those two cities are those areas in? (Cross-streets, or a neighborhood within the city).

Old 03-22-2014, 07:43 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treppster View Post
So I have an internship in Manhattan this summer and I have two place to live for free. One in Yonkers and the other in Clifton NJ. I was just wondering what type of commute I could expect from these places and my best option to get there. My internship is right by the intersection of East 32nd and Park Ave. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no clue about New York transit. Thanks!

-Trep
Yonkers no question, assuming its not near Getty Square or one of the other bad areas.
Train ride will be approx half hour and you can walk from GCT in 8 mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County