Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 PM

4 posts, read 19,626 times

Advertisements

How safe are these areas: 204 Union Ave, E third- Mt. Vernon
and Radford St- Yonkers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 02:47 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Not sure about the 2nd, but I think it's in the rough southwest section of town. The first one is pretty rough, probably not the very worst part of Mt. Vernon (that would be a little further down 3rd Street), but up there. The tricky thing about both Mt. Vernon and Yonkers is that you can have a nice, even downright upscale neighborhood literally right smack against "the hood" so to speak, partially reflecting who they border (poor parts of the Bronx right on up to Bronxville and Pelham, some of the richest (and particularly in the case of Bronxville snobbiest) real estate in America.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:36 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,483 times
Radford Street is in Southwest Yonkers and close to South Broadway. It is not that great of a neighborhood. Many parts of Yonkers are actually decent and quite safe though I would stay away from the SW portion, esp near South Broadway.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 PM

21 posts, read 70,648 times
Are there any good neighborhoods in Yonkers, and where are they?

Old 07-29-2009, 07:16 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,483 times
There are many nice areas in Yonkers, especially in northeast Yonkers - some areas to consider Colonial Heights, Westchester Hills, Sprain Lake Knolls, Crestwood. These areas are all around Central Park Ave, closer to Scarsdale. Another nice area is near St. John's Church in Dunwoodie and around st.Josephs seminary. There are more but those are the ones that pop up off the top of my head.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,930 times
does anybody know anything about ludlow park? i know it's in the southwest corner...but is this area nice?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:58 AM

36 posts, read 84,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chigal12 View Post
How safe are these areas: 204 Union Ave, E third- Mt. Vernon
and Radford St- Yonkers?
Both are rough.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:48 PM

23 posts, read 77,667 times
im born and raised in yonkers. i actually live near radford.. i walk past there regularly with my 2 yr old. Yes, it is surrounded by pretty "not so nice looking" areas. But honestly, its more of a cosmetic "rough" than anything else. You would want to avoid areas like Elliot ave off of radford.
Yonkers is a very mixed city. like someone posted, you can have a really nice area right smack next to the hood. The truth is if you want to live in yonkers, you have to be able to get along with everyone and have thick skin. there are lots of inconsiderate people but you'll find that anywhere in the NY area. If you want to raise a family, you would want to look to the north east part of town, but beware, its not always 100% squeaky clean.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:08 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,289 times
I think you'll be alright on Union and third, but a little further up the street towards 3rd and 7th things can get very rough if your not familiar with the area. Its a good/bad blocks area, as far as i'm concerned.

I agree with what Thug2md said about Radford st. and being "cosmetically rough". the nice part of Park Hill and Rumsey rd are not that far away at all! There's good Bee line bus service over here as well. You can get on a number of convienient bus routes like the 1 and 4 around there. Elliot ave has always been a crazy block, I haven't been over there in a while though. I gotta give you some rep for spot on advice.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:26 PM

23 posts, read 77,667 times
thank you for that. just tryin to pass on the truth! Good luck chigal!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County