Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:30 PM

23 posts, read 77,674 times

Advertisements

ludlow is another one of those areas that has a "rough cosmetic" appearance. it has an industrial feel to it. very close to the river and the downtown yonkers area. there are some blocks around there that may appear shady, but almost immediately to the south of that area is the posh area of private homes in yonkers just before you hit the bronx. Ludlow is almost the in between area when it comes to nice and not so nice. very close to the train station (metro north) which can take you to the city/penn station in about 30-40 mins. you have to check it out before you decide to move for sure! I actually live not to far from there, almost walking distance and never had any problems!
good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 10:33 AM

110 posts, read 124,656 times
Default Yonkers and Mt. Vernon Comparisons

I walked from Mt. Vernon to Yonkers I experienced an immediate eye opener. Yonkers landscape is very hilly along Yonkers Avenue. Mt. Vernon on the other hand is flat.

I don't have a good view immediate around the train stop for MV and Y. You would think planner would make that area look pretty, but it looks like a dump to me.

Also, the area up the hit from the train station looks like a ghost town of empty businesses. It is just strange that immediately outside this vicinity, the area looks better.

If you want further into West Yonkers it becomes very Latino. This is very different than the African American/Caribbean Mt. Vernon. There are actual businesses you can shop at. I did not see anything like that in Mt. Vernon.

That side looks more like NYC retail districts than what I saw in Mt. Vernon. Plus, they seem to be a lot more 6 story buildings than in Mt. Vernon. Unfortunately, accessing this area via subway is more difficult. Sorry #1 train, you just don't get no better than the #2, which puts two blocks from Westchester County.

Also, the vibe is very different on South Bwy than Mt. Vernon. People are actually walking and involved in some kind of street activity. Mt. Vernon is definitely more laid back than this section of Yonkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County