Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,481 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family is considering a move from southern Westchester to the Thornwood/Hawthorne/Valhalla area. We liked what I think is referred to as the Rolling Hills section of Thornwood, but noticed there are quite a few houses on the market there, and were wondering if there's a reason beyond general attrition? How's that area in the winter? Any info or pros/cons you can provide on that area and on the more broad Thornwood/Hawthorne/Valhalla area would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 05:12 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
The only reason I can see is that the housing market has just recovered nicely since a general 5 year depression.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:10 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,321 times
Thornwood is nicer than Hawthorne which is nicer than Valhalla. Pleasantville is nicer than Thornwood and Chappaqua nicer than Pleasantville (though some might disagree).

Generlizations of course but that is the "rule of thumb".

Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 AM

21 posts, read 31,892 times
I grew up on Hilltop Lane in Rolling Hills between 1968 and 1981 and my father still lives there. I visit about once a week. From my experiences and from what I still see, Rolling Hills is a very quiet and safe area with no through traffic. It's a peaceful place where you can sit on your back porch and not hear a sound all day. Most properties are about one acre in size, with some bigger. Growing up, we were able to use our backyard as practically a full sized soccer, football or baseball field. My father lives close to the woods and he has deer and an occasional fox pass through his backyard almost every day and/or night. I remember my mother who had lived in the Bronx and Hartsdale before moving there, not being thrilled with the considerable distance between houses, but my father loved the privacy. His water came from a well and there is no natural gas service. Sewers went in about 20 years ago. Before that it was septic fields.

The Rolling Hills Shopping Center is a 5 minute drive away and they have most anything you need for daily living (groceries, CVS, banks, restaurants, etc).

If you are looking for peace, quiet and privacy, you can't do much better than Rolling Hills. Why there are a number of houses for sale right now, I can't say.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM

21 posts, read 31,892 times
Now that I think about it, on the upper half of Hilltop Lane alone, I know of three elderly residents who passed away within the last year, two of whom lived alone. At least two of those houses were put up for sale. One sold about a year ago and one is curently for sale. I can't recall the status of the third house.
The number of homes for sale may just be the natural progression of things.
I can see Rolling Hills being the kind of place people stay in once they get settled. Death or downsizing may be the most likely reasons for selling.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,481 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks so much for the responses! Aclappine - that's fantastic to hear. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: