Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 08:57 AM

80 posts, read 498,166 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Scarsdale. Schools, crime, housing and commute to NYC. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 04:25 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
Schools are very good. My aunt and uncle live down there and it is very nice and virtually crimefree.It is a 40 minute commute to Grand Central. The smallest home in Scarsdale starts at about $600,000.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:17 PM

80 posts, read 498,166 times
How is the parking at the train station? Is there a waiting list?Thank you.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:20 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,433,232 times
I do not know, but I rememember reading an artilce in the Nytimes about a project in downtown Scarsdale that is going to add about 300 underground spaces.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:41 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Scarsdale is nice. You may also want to look into Hartsdale. There are a lot of condo buildings located within a 10 minute walk of the train station in Hartsdale (around E Hartsdale Ave), so a lot of people just walk back to their apartments/condos after work.

I think the same situation exists in Scarsdale for people living in the buildings on Garth Rd. (I believe a lot of these buildings don't have parking garages though and the ones that do usually have waitlists). Maybe someone who lives in Scarsdale could let you know exactly what parking situation is like.

The Scarsdale area is very nice. Nice community, very affluent, and the Metro-North line into Grand Central is a nice ride. It takes about 35-50 minutes to get into Grand Central, depending on which train you take.

I don't think there is really any problems in these areas and the schools seem quite good.

Other towns with a similar feel to Scarsdale and Hartsdale are Bronxville, Eastchester, and Tuckahoe. All of these towns are really nice, as long as you can afford the price tag $$$$.

White Plains has the same good access to the city as these other towns, but is not nearly as nice if you are planning on raising a family. While crime may not be high in White Plains, this seems to be due to the fact that there is 1 police officer for every 2 people in White Plains. White Plains definitely has more of an urban feel than the surrounding towns. White Plains also has a pretty decent ammount of homeless people hanging around town. They tend to congregate around the library and the surrounding streets.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:21 PM

7 posts, read 64,311 times
Default don't move to scarsdale

As a transplant from elsewhere, I lived and worked in Scarsdale for 15 years.

It is crowded, overpriced and loaded with nouveau riche. It is also and extremely competitive place to keep up with the Jones' and their kids.

The schools cater to taxpaying parents horribly and if you do not plan to supplement your already high property taxes for schools - with tutors and prep courses galore, don't even bother trying.

One huge benefit is for those who are of the Jewish faith. Many temples.

In Westchester County, check out Irvington by the Hudson River, Pleasantville, Larchmont. Good towns with lots going on and good train access. Better lifestyle and less time in the car.

Stay away from Bronxville, Briarcliff, Rye and Purchase.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:14 PM

5 posts, read 21,856 times
Hi, I grew up in Scarsdale, and I think it's a town with advantages and drawbacks. It's very safe, it has beautiful tree-lined streets, and an education system where everyone is trying to get into an Ivy-league school. The competitive nature of the school system makes growing up there unpleasant in many cases.

In middle school especially, there are hard-and-fast cliques, high standards for superficial achievement (such as clothing and sports), and a lot of teasing and bullying. In high school, most people are doing drugs and stressing about getting into the right college while overscheduling themselves with sports and clubs. When all the kids graduate high school, the parent(s) usually "downsize" to a smaller house in a cheaper town in Westchester. A new young family moves in their place, and so there's not much of a community feeling.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,871 times
drop me an email and i will give you the whole break down for Scardale,,pete dmj888@aol.com

Old 12-28-2006, 12:15 AM

100 posts, read 628,950 times
eh...nice place with all the amenities one would want: Suburban feel, safe area, easy commute to NYC, and ridiculously good schools...

What jazzmaphone said gives Scarsdale High a very accurate portrayal. However, this is the new Westchestester and you won't find this phenomena exclusively in Scarsdale.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:28 PM

62 posts, read 389,812 times
Default low down on scarsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny pete re broker View Post
drop me an email and i will give you the whole break down for Scardale,,pete dmj888@aol.com

Why does it say "banned" under your user name?

I would love the low done on scarsdale too?

Drugs, is that for real?

I have a 16 year old son and def dont want him around that kinda of stuff, i have spent a fortune trying to keep my kid away from that stuff

thanks

Anna M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County