Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 11:50 AM

6 posts, read 55,692 times

Advertisements

Im looking in Westchester for any area to buy a home with the least amount of taxes. My budget is about 300-400K. I've been trying so hard to find a list with highest to lowest taxes in Westchester. The county website for Westchester is confusing and not easily understandable. Does anyone have the top 5-10 area's with the cheapest taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 07:10 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,118 times
I think another user already offered a pretty accurate response to your same question in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Its always hard to answer questions like this. there is not one taxing body like in the city. All area have three case taxes, 1) the local town or city tax, 2) the local school tax and 3) the county assessment. the local towns collect all three, but each are set independently and can vary a great deal. In addition to these, there are special tax districts all over the county, such as fire districts, sewer and water districts, special service districts and there are also sub-municipalities like villages. For example, if you live in Croton, you may pay Croton village tax, town of cortlandt tax, croton school tax, county tax, fire district tax, sewer and water district tax. Because these can vary from houses that sit on opposite sides of the street, its next to impossible to creat a list.

Also, tax rates can vary a great deal. For example, the tax rate in a town with very high property values can be low because the schools and town make a tremendous amount on each property. Towns with lower values must have higher rates because the towns need to make up for less from each property. You need to set a budget for your taxes and try to find a home that meets it. Best of luck to you.

As mentioned above, there's not really any way to provide a list. You have to consider each house within your budget on a case-by-case basis depending on its location. You can usually request some recent tax information from your buyer's agent or the listing agent which can assist in making a decision. Make sure to ask how the taxes are divided between city/county/village/etc to get a better understanding as well as when the last assessment took place and whether the property is due for another (can affect your decision).

All that said, generally speaking, 300-400k is pretty low for a single-family home in the majority of Westchester. You might have better success looking at condo/apartment options, depending on your preference.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:32 AM

222 posts, read 540,701 times
Areas that have a large commercial base tend to have relatively lower taxes e.g. White Plains, New Rochelle, and Mt. Kisco. Also, Armonk has low has a large IBM facility which apparently pays a large portion of the taxes and there's a Rockefeller estate that pays into the school taxes for the Pocantico school district. However, in most cases low taxes are simply offset by higher home prices.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:11 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,030,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
Areas that have a large commercial base tend to have relatively lower taxes e.g. White Plains, New Rochelle, and Mt. Kisco. Also, Armonk has low has a large IBM facility which apparently pays a large portion of the taxes and there's a Rockefeller estate that pays into the school taxes for the Pocantico school district. However, in most cases low taxes are simply offset by higher home prices.
Which, by the way, tends to apply to Connecticut as well.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:46 PM

6 posts, read 55,692 times
Thanks for the info Gents. I know the info is out there and I don't think Its too difficult to put together It may take a bit of work for all of Westchester with all the villages and towns, but there's a formula after all the different taxes are considered.
Then looking at my budget $300-400 (or lets just make it an even $350k for simplicity) then start doing the comparison.

For example: (from Zillow)

Home for $350k in Cortland - Tax = ~$5,000
Home for $350k in Yonkers - Tax = ~$6500
Home for $350k in White Plains - Tax = ~$8000
Home for $350k in Ossining - Tax = ~$11,000

Really, what is different is obviously the home, sq footage, lot size and condition. Which I am not considering or asking to consider for the sake of making this request easier.

Again, I know the numbers are out there and I know I can do the leg work myself right off of Zillow by looking at areas im interested in like above. I was just hoping someone has already compiled a list and have area's in Westchester with lower taxes that I haven't considered. That's really my question. Which 5 areas has the lowest tax rates in Westchester, so I can get the most BANG (house) for my buck vs paying MORE in taxes each month then my actual mortgage loan.

Thanks again!

Old 09-23-2015, 10:17 PM

192 posts, read 375,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Millennial View Post
Im looking in Westchester for any area to buy a home with the least amount of taxes. My budget is about 300-400K. I've been trying so hard to find a list with highest to lowest taxes in Westchester. The county website for Westchester is confusing and not easily understandable. Does anyone have the top 5-10 area's with the cheapest taxes?
Keep looking...

The words, "cheap in" and "Westchester" cannot exist in the same sentence. No such thing!

Old 09-24-2015, 04:58 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
Here is a link that has all the tax tables for the county rather than running a number through them look at the rate per 1k assessed and decide which one(s) are the lowest. Don''t forget school tax...
Property Tax Rates

Old 09-24-2015, 08:28 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Millennial View Post
Thanks for the info Gents. I know the info is out there and I don't think Its too difficult to put together It may take a bit of work for all of Westchester with all the villages and towns, but there's a formula after all the different taxes are considered.
Then looking at my budget $300-400 (or lets just make it an even $350k for simplicity) then start doing the comparison.

For example: (from Zillow)

Home for $350k in Cortland - Tax = ~$5,000
Home for $350k in Yonkers - Tax = ~$6500
Home for $350k in White Plains - Tax = ~$8000
Home for $350k in Ossining - Tax = ~$11,000

Really, what is different is obviously the home, sq footage, lot size and condition. Which I am not considering or asking to consider for the sake of making this request easier.

Again, I know the numbers are out there and I know I can do the leg work myself right off of Zillow by looking at areas im interested in like above. I was just hoping someone has already compiled a list and have area's in Westchester with lower taxes that I haven't considered. That's really my question. Which 5 areas has the lowest tax rates in Westchester, so I can get the most BANG (house) for my buck vs paying MORE in taxes each month then my actual mortgage loan.

Thanks again!
those numbers are probably not accurate. No one in Cortlandt with a $350,000 house pays $5,000 in total tax. Maybe that is just the town tax, but the total tax bill on that house is closer to $10,000. Of course there are programs like Star which can help reduce that amount (not by 50% though), but I would not bank on Star being around forever. I would buy based on the tax bill without star, use the savings to help pay the mortgage early, because one of these years Star is going bye bye for good.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:35 AM

91 posts, read 196,347 times
Here you go:

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html...PHIC/data.html

somewhat out of date but probably still reasonably accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County