Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 5,184 times

Advertisements

How is the commute to Grand Central for work? I have children and I was wondering how do parents do it? Do you like it? Any advice? What other alternate route you take if metro is not working ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 12:10 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,212,899 times
from what station?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:19 PM

As of right now Yonkers but we’re planning to move further up. I would like to know peoples experience and how far is there commute. And also balancing being a parent.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:41 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modern mom View Post
How is the commute to Grand Central for work? I have children and I was wondering how do parents do it? Do you like it? Any advice? What other alternate route you take if metro is not working ?

Asking how is the commute is really impossible. Different people have different tolerances for commute times and such. I will tell you that for the most part, the Hudson line is usually on schedule and the train times are pretty accurate to within a few minutes either way. I get the same train most days, and its always leaving on time or within a minute. Less than 10 times per year is it late. It is always between 2 minutes ahead of its scheduled arrival time, to 2 minutes behind.

I find the trains comfortable and I always get a seat unless it is a holiday or other special event. In my 20 years of commuting, there were maybe 5 or 6 times Metro North was not running. They were well know days, like the large blackout, 9/11 and a couple of hurricanes or blizzards. On those days, my office was always closed as well. There have been other storms with delays, but an outage is rare. If I had to drive, I would, but its never really an issue.

Being a parent really has no impact. If you live in the southern part of the county and work in mid-town, the commute can be under 30 minutes door to door. I live in the northern tip of westchester and work near grand central. my commute, door to desk is about an hour. I leave early because then I can get out early. Not sure what else you want to know.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:39 PM

This is what I wanted to know. Your response was perfect. Thank you for your help.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:41 AM

430 posts, read 557,489 times
Definitely try to stay on the Hudson Line if possible. I used it for years without an issue. Honestly if you just look up the schedule and know what type of commute you are willing to tolerate, you should have a good starting point.
I probably shouldn't give away the secret, but the Croton Harmon station is the gem of that line. Every single express and local train stops there, giving you great flexibility. There are also a few that make their first stop there. You can live in Northern Westchester and be home before your coworkers who live uptown or in the Bronx. Good luck with the search.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:11 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modern mom View Post
Not bad.
Yes.
Stay in school.
Drive.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:48 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
Definitely try to stay on the Hudson Line if possible. I used it for years without an issue. Honestly if you just look up the schedule and know what type of commute you are willing to tolerate, you should have a good starting point.
I probably shouldn't give away the secret, but the Croton Harmon station is the gem of that line. Every single express and local train stops there, giving you great flexibility. There are also a few that make their first stop there. You can live in Northern Westchester and be home before your coworkers who live uptown or in the Bronx. Good luck with the search.
I agree with this poster, Croton is a gem. I live in Cortlandt north of Croton. I drive the extra 4 minutes to croton because the trains goes express to and from, meaning the trains i take, Croton is the first stop on the way home and the last stop on the way to the city. Just a fast quiet ride all the way in. Its between 46 and 50 minutes most days. I am just a couple of blocks from grand central, so most mornings, with the drive, its under an hour for me. home its about 10 minutes longer, the trains are slower in the afternoon than early in the am. Never figured out why.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:34 PM

223 posts, read 828,517 times
As far as train commuting, metro north is a lot better and more civilized than LIRR or NJT which always has delays and is more crowded. GCT is very tame too. I have done commuting with kids for 12 years, I have my routine and its fine. I agree Hudson is least problematic train line. I also leave fairly early and get a 5 pm train most days

Old 07-19-2018, 12:17 PM

20 posts, read 22,015 times
Even though Croton is a Gem, the wait to get parking permit is insane. I use the Cortland Station and work near Grand Central. Commute door to door is approx 1Hr15 ( 55 mins in train) mins from my home to Office. Parking is not a problem ( no waitlist) and Cortland is just 6 mins from Croton. Its a bit expensive though ( 369 vs 300). As everyone mentioned trains are always on time and you get seats easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County