Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:55 PM

75 posts, read 108,190 times

Advertisements

I take the Hudson line and get on at Tarrytown. My experience is that there would NOT be as many people standing if those who ride the train were more considerate of others. There are MANY people who will sit down in a two-seater, sit on the outside seat and then pile their things up at the window seat. They then act annoyed if you ask to sit there. The three-seaters are even worse. People put all kinds of stuff on the middle seat, making others reluctant to ask if they can sit down. If everyone made all seats AVAILABLE there would be much less of a problem. but people don't want to start a fight and so they stand. People on the trains are ridiculously inconsiderate of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 06:52 AM

2,210 posts, read 2,154,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaHeron View Post
I take the Hudson line and get on at Tarrytown. My experience is that there would NOT be as many people standing if those who ride the train were more considerate of others. There are MANY people who will sit down in a two-seater, sit on the outside seat and then pile their things up at the window seat. They then act annoyed if you ask to sit there. The three-seaters are even worse. People put all kinds of stuff on the middle seat, making others reluctant to ask if they can sit down. If everyone made all seats AVAILABLE there would be much less of a problem. but people don't want to start a fight and so they stand. People on the trains are ridiculously inconsiderate of others.
This I agree with 100%. While we all wish we had a private car, its a commuter line.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:35 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaHeron View Post
I look for those people and sit there even if there are other seats. Just to make them move their stuff. The more stuff they have, the more I look to sit there. If they pretend not to hear I either sit on their stuff or just pile my stuff on theirs.

I am paying a hefty price for that train ride. I have paid less for some plane flights. There is zero chance I am paying to stand so some dork's bags can be comfortable.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:35 AM

20 posts, read 22,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
I look for those people and sit there even if there are other seats. Just to make them move their stuff. The more stuff they have, the more I look to sit there. If they pretend not to hear I either sit on their stuff or just pile my stuff on theirs.

I am paying a hefty price for that train ride. I have paid less for some plane flights. There is zero chance I am paying to stand so some dork's bags can be comfortable.
Totally Agree. I find it disgusting these guys act so entitled. But Frankly everyone gets away with it as it seems the norm, at-least for Cortland Express trains. I have seen so many people standing and never asking anyone to move. Probably they don't want to become the middle of the sandwich themselves and would rather stand

Old 10-16-2018, 09:55 AM

2,210 posts, read 2,154,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aria123 View Post
Totally Agree. I find it disgusting these guys act so entitled. But Frankly everyone gets away with it as it seems the norm, at-least for Cortland Express trains. I have seen so many people standing and never asking anyone to move. Probably they don't want to become the middle of the sandwich themselves and would rather stand
If you get the newer train cars, the M7s, the middle seat is 2.5 inches wider than the end seats, with teh raised cushion between the seats, the middle on these is much better than the old M3s, which are the most common in the north of croton diesel train runs. I know they are upgrading the M3s, but its still a few years off, this should help. I agree entirely with these comments. I have purposefully sat when someone was being a seat hog before. I think I will do it the next time I see it.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:36 PM

132 posts, read 170,979 times
There is a woman on my train every morning who gets on, sits in the middle of the 3 person seat and puts her bags on either side of her to take up the whole row. Then she gets an attitude when you make her move her crap out of the way and scoot over.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:31 PM

821 posts, read 775,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNYCfast View Post
There is a woman on my train every morning who gets on, sits in the middle of the 3 person seat and puts her bags on either side of her to take up the whole row. Then she gets an attitude when you make her move her crap out of the way and scoot over.
Ask her if she paid for 3 seats

Old 10-16-2018, 05:59 PM

131 posts, read 270,580 times
what an entitled btch

Old 10-16-2018, 06:41 PM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,640,995 times
Many people don't want to sit in the middle. It also seems that many people prefer to stay in the first car instead of walking back where there are empty seats. And some refuse to sit facing backwards. There are more options if you are flexible.

We didn't think much about it but just happened to buy in a village that's 5 minutes further away from Grand Central but it's the first stop on the train we usually take in the morning. So worth it. (My husband and I commute together)

Old 10-17-2018, 07:22 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjbukem73 View Post
what an entitled btch
Self-entitled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County