Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 04:04 PM

96 posts, read 407,422 times

Advertisements

Long time Westchester resident here. I live at home with my parents (it's awesome in the sense that you save a total fortune). My parents are kind of giving me the silent boot lately, I have a good job with a reasonable salary for a 24 year old, $60,000, with growth and stability each year. I also have about 20,000$ in savings. I've gotten to this point where I'm wondering whether or not to just keep saving up and putting a down payment on something, OR just start renting now and try and save money. Rent-wise I was thinking of White Plains, but I have an inside deal to get a beautiful place in Bronxville for 1000$ even a month with everything included. Basically a family friend who doesn't want to rent to strangers.

Do I take advantage of this situation to have a nice place to live on my own for the next few years? Or with the current state of the economy try to invest in something? It's rough, I can see myself living at home for another year at the most, and can probably save another 20,000$ or so. I work in Jersey on the NY border, easy commute over the GWB, and I don't want to live in Jersey. Westchester is my home and I love it here.

Basically I'm getting tired of being at home. It's hard to have a girlfriend and get your life going. I don't want to find myself in like 6 years with serious financial problems. Thanks for any wise words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 07:28 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
$1,000 for an apartment in Bronxville is a steal, I'd say go for it. If you're driving to NJ then this would make your commute easier than doing it from White Plains as well.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:13 AM
K&F

40 posts, read 168,040 times
Default go for it!

hey, I don't live in NY, I'm researching it, but from what I see, renting for $1000 ANYWHERE including here in central Virginia, is a steal. On your salary, you should still be able to save a fair amount of money every month. I think it would be best for you and your parents for you to get your own place at this point. You've got a great start on a downpayment for a decent place, I would think after another year you should have enough to make your move on buying a place.

take the plunge, you won't regret it!

Old 04-23-2008, 05:37 AM

Yea I think I may end up doing it. The place is too nice. It has a full living room, kitchen, bedroom, office, patio... I'm sure I can save money while I live here, and still stay within decent distance of Manhattan.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:31 PM

364 posts, read 1,979,069 times
With that salary at that age...... forget about it, stay at home as long as you can.

Seriously, the best way to go is to invest in a property. When you rent all you are doing is paying somebody else's mortage. Stay as long as you can with your parents, save another $20K, so that when you finally hit the road on your own, man, you'll be at the top of your game (for your age).

With $40K saved at such a young age, you'll be able to put a nice down payment for a decent place.

Believe me, if I had that choice when I was your age, I would have stayed with my parents long enough to build my savings to a real level. But when you push life and go on your own, believe me, things change. Full independence will come at the right moment. Don't rush to it.

Just my 2cents.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:01 AM

178 posts, read 667,454 times
The problem with an apartment like that is that it becomes golden handcuffs.

You will stay there much longer because it will be too comfortable.

Look at coops from Bronxville to White Plains and see what town you think you would like to live in.

Look at activerain.com and ask the question there, they have already set up
rent vs. owning scenarios.

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea

Old 05-24-2008, 08:06 PM

309 posts, read 766,090 times
stay at home for another year & sock away as much money as you can. think about it this way, $40K sounds like a lot for a downpayment, and for someone your age, that's incredible discipline to have saved that much. but start looking at places you would be interested in buying; what percentage downpayment does your savings represent, esp. in westchester? with the subprime mess going on, lenders are tightening up their requirements; so long to the days of no or low downpayments. many lenders want 20% or more these days.

your post was unclear whether that apt. is furnished or not. if not, you'll spend money furnishing it. granted, you could take that with you when you move, but that's money out of pocket that doesn't go toward a downpayment or that comes from savings.

if you think your parents are getting antsy, sit down with them & talk about a deadline for moving out & why you appreciate living at home. that will hopefully give everyone in your family some breathing room & you may feel better. as for living at home cutting into your love life, i'm sure it can be awkward, but think how much more desirable you'll be when you actually OWN your own place & have financial stability! big chick magnet!

good luck!

Old 05-25-2008, 11:00 AM

All your advice is taken with utmost respect. It's a very difficult thing to try and save, but I'm starting to see it might be the best route. I had a discussion with my family that I'm going try and help out with things more. You get into such a routine paying for nothing it starts to be bothersome and new when you're asked to start putting more in for things. I recently had to spend a lot on a medical problem I had, even with insurance, and it put into perspective how a financial hit could cause major problems. However I think that 20k is a reasonable to put away another year, and I should be close to where I need to be to hopefully make a purchase.

I also realized that the situation I'm in is allowing me to do a lot more. I just booked a 2 week trip to Spain, and realized that I would never be able to do this if I was sucking water renting.

So the next step for me is to see where I really wanna be. Tarrytown/Irvington area is really appealing to me, but I'd be open to suggestions. Mainly because I'm sensing a real presence of younger people migrating to that area, so it will feel like something new to me. Also close train, close to the bridge for commuting, etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County