Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:26 AM

2 posts, read 9,461 times

Advertisements

Firstly, I am not a native New Yorker so my opinions of different places have not been tainted by years of bad news and urban legend.

Second, my husband (native NYer) and I are potential first time buyers looking to move from a 1-bedroom in Manhattan which we share with our almost school age child. It's like camping except not fun.

We are interested in a small single-family home, condo or townhouse. Ideally in White Plains but now I'm looking at Yonkers just south of White Plains. Problem with White Plains is that there are many condos available that we could almost afford. They are older buildings - some "charming" some ghastly 70's architecture. While we could afford one of these, there is a lot of new construction in White Plains - a lot. I don't think we could afford a new one and my concern is that it would be impossible to sell an older one when we need to due to a glut of new construction.

For kicks, I looked online at some places in Yonkers. And there are some nice little houses - after living here..hell, anything is a palace..almost. My concern, SCHOOLS...my SIL says that they have a bad reputation but we should investigate more. Does anyone have any personal experience with Yonkers schools or know of a source for HONEST information about Yonkers schools?

If you bothered to read this whole thing, I thank you whole-heartedly!
Sincerely, Annamommynous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 07:54 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,161,394 times
I was born in Yonkers. I'd never wanna live there, ever. Years and years ago, it was a nice town.........

Old 01-31-2007, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 9,461 times
yeah, I was just poking around online. there is a reason the cute houses are going cheap - I'm afraid.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:20 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,655 times
Look at Bronxville. Its around same area, but nicer.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:41 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
Unfortunately, I have to agree with the other posters to the thread. The school system isn't good; don't have the figures but from experience working with the NYSDOH, I know that poor education is a big issue.

On the other hand, I also know that community organisations, unhappy, with the state of the City on many social levels have been joining together in an effort to make massive improvements.

I wish them luck because Yonkers is rich in history, geographically situated close to NYC and worth saving!

Old 01-31-2007, 08:57 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Try greatschools.net. Westchester Magazine did a profile of high schools in Westchester - it might be available online.

Good article about Yonkers in Wikipedia.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:54 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
Well parts of Yonkers aren't bad. The Eastern part of Yonkers, specifically west of the Bronx river parkway and east of the Saw Mill is pretty nice. This area is directly north of Woodlawn and has a lot of blue-collar Irish and Italian people. This is a really great area for starter homes in my opinion. There are also a couple of stops on Metro North in the area which will take you into Grand Central station if you have to work in the city.

Western Yonkers on the other hand is horrific. Stay away.

Now as the to school system in Yonkers. I wouldn't send a kid into the public school system there unless he speaks Spanish or knows how to throw down gang signs. Catholic school is really the only way to go in Yonkers. There is a nice Catholic school in Dunwoodie and one in Woodlawn, (I think its St. Barnabas).

A lot of people are going to tell you to look at Bronxville, Tuckahoe, Eastchester, Scarsdale, etc for good schools. Of course all of those places are probably going to be out of your price range if you are looking for a place in Yonkers. These are the towns with the best school districts, but as a result all of the houses are REALLY pricey.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:59 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
Oh BTW, if you are looking at houses in Yonkers that are around the 400k price range, you might want to look into towns in NJ that are similar but have much better public school systems.

Towns like Bayonne, Kearny, Totowa, and Little Falls come to mind. Bayonne even has a light rail line that can get you into the Financial district in 30 minutes.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:22 AM

10 posts, read 53,983 times
Forget Yonkers School's! No Money There For Schooling System. Its Not Worth The Cheaper Condo. When You See Cheaper Places You Have To Ask Yourself Why. Since You Are Not A Born New Yorker This Is How Things Work Here In New York. It's Not A Trick It's Just How it Seem's. House Bigger And Cheaper Means Stay Away!!!!!!!!!!!!Same With White Plains Ok School's But When You Get To High School That One School Is For All Of White Plains Yikes!!!!!!!!
You Might Want Look In The Area's Everyone Else Told You about ,which Is Expensive. Hartsdale Is Greenburg Schooling Not Great Either. But Of Couse Not Until You Get High School. Thinking The Grammer School's And Middle School might Not Be So Bad Since There's More Than One. Think About Rockland County If You Need More For Your Buck And Most school Systems There Are Great. And Still Close To City.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 10,468 times
Default we are in a similar boat

It is so comforting to hear that you too are ready to leave Manhattan for greener pastures. I have been torn about leaving Manhattan (a native too)
but have truly had it here. The idea of not wsating $20K + a year on rent and actually being able to afford a sprawling 2 bedroom for the same price is
thrilling. I still remain a bit torn but think making the move is the right thing.
I am looking into Bronxville...Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County