Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:53 AM

45 posts, read 152,924 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a home preferably in lower Westchester - around 9A, Briarcliff(we like this area). Or other areas people recommend -help please!! Looking for not more than a 60 minute drive to the city. We are concerned about resale issues down the road so want to buy in a good location. Our children will finish school in NYC and this home will be a second home for now and then maybe used for retirement (??). We understand that the real estate taxes will be high but it seems to make sense to buy in a good school district even if we don't use the system. We still need to keep our children busy during the summer ( inexpensive pool clubs - unless we get a pool, a nice town to walk around, close to shopping-Sam's club, target, etc). Looking for listings up to $1.1m with the thought we could negotiate down to about $950 (our max). All views would be helpful! We looked in Ossining but fear the school district. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 11:42 AM

701 posts, read 3,326,165 times
Briarcliff isn't really considered lower Westchester -- Sounds like you are more interested in Central and Northern Westchester. Any good school district in Westchester should have good re-sale value, and in your price range, you can buy a house anywhere. But the quality of the house in that price range will differ.

To the extent you are looking for a "weekend" home, Croton is one of the prettier regions, with lots of hiking, waterways, etc. On the downside, its on the northern edge of your commuting range, and it is somewhat cut off from chain store shopping.

You already mentioned Briarcliff. Pleasantville might fit your bill. One of the biggest downsides of Pleasantville is the lack of school busing (though the schools are excellent), and this wouldn't be a factor for you. It's got a vibrant community (example-- The Jacob Burns Film Center), it's only 15 minutes from shopping in White Plains and 15 minutes from Mount Kisco.
Mamaroneck is a short drive to the city, has shopping of its own, and only a few minutes from White Plains. Additionally, it has good town pools, access to its own beach.
The rivertowns -- Irvington, Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings-- Might also fit your bill, though I'm not sure about their town amenities.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:54 AM

Thank you - I'm learning - Central vs lower Westchester! Are the schools for the river towns all rated pretty much the same? We have friends in Croton but find it farther than we'd like. Right now we have family in Elmsford which is why Briarcliff was something we easily found and liked but we want to expand our horizon - especially for potential retirement. Would love to have some sort of town feel without having to drive a lot. This is an adjustment for someone having lived in the city not needing a car all the time.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:13 PM

Of the river towns, Irvington and Ardsley have the best schools. Dobbs Ferry is fair. Honestly not bad, but not as good as the other districts. Though there are some Dobbs Ferry homes that have Ardsley schools.

For "Town feel" -- Pleasantville can fit your bill. Also, Katonah has a great "town," but it might be a bit further than you wanted to go. But Katonah has excellent highway access as well.

I forgot to mention Armonk. Good highway access (684 cuts through it). It's got excellent schools, near shopping areas, with a decent town-area.

I'll toss Chappaqua on to the list, as it's where we live now. It's one of the "elite" towns in terms of schools and wealth. It's centrally located. But it doesn't have much of a town feel outside of a couple blocks by the train station.

Scarsdale is another "elite" location. It's close to the city and shopping, and it's got a nice "town" area. I just have trouble seeing Scarsdale as "second home" or "retirement." It's definitely fully a commuting town.

You said your kids are going to complete school in the city, how old are your kids? Obviously, the schools are one of the advantages of many Westchester communities, with public schools being practically the equivalent of the finest private prep schools.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:52 PM

Great info - are Pleasantville ,Armonk, Katonah equivalent to the Briarcliff/Ardsley/Irvington schools? We will definitely look in Chappaqua. We want to make sure the location we pick has good resale value (just in case!)but also a town ( neighborhood) type feeling. In the city I know many of the people on the block, the store keepers, etc.

Kids are 9,11,13 and in a parochial school. Oldest going to HS and we are looking at all girl schools. I am from the city so am more comfortable with the schools plus I work in the city. H can be based in Westchester but it is easier to deal with commuting , etc in the city with the kids. We want single sex schools with a uniform - less issues to deal with!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:07 AM

Armonk schools are just as well regarded. Pleasantville and Katonah are highly regarded, but perhaps a fraction of a notch lower reputation.

I'm trying to get a better idea of what you're looking for. I just have trouble seeing many parts of Westchester as "second home" territory. You'll be paying massive property taxes (over $20,000 in your price range) for schools that you don't intend to use. You're paying a premium for good access to Metro North, though it seems you don't have an interest in utilizing it.

Seems you're looking for a weekend and summer home. And during the times you would commute to the city, you intend to drive?

You like a community with a nice "town" feeling, you also want to be close to major shopping.

Have you given any thought to broadening your search outside of Westchester?
Specifically, I was thinking of Nyack and Piermont in Rockland County. Both charming towns. Nyack especially has a real "town feel" with lots of restaurants and shops to walk to. They don't have great mass transit options into the City, but the drive isn't much different than driving from Northern Westchester. Nyack has somewhat lesser schools due to the economic diversity of the town (millionaires aside low income housing areas) but overall they are decently regarded, and you're minutes away from major shopping (minutes from Palisades Mall, 20 minutes from Woodbury Commons). Piermont has better schools, but slightly further off major roads.

Might be worth your consideration.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:59 PM

Even though it would be a second home now - we are looking at it for retirement. Plus an older family member will live there full time in the meantime - someone who has retired and we will take care of. So to us we see it as a primary that we'd like to buy a little early. As for paying the high real estate taxes - it doesn't seem to make sense but if we want have good resale value it seems like we are stuck. What are of Westchester that has good resale value has low real estate taxes?? It seems anyone with a family wants a good school district.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:00 PM

Okay, makes sense. I'll just say this about resale values -- Resale values will be similar almost anywhere in the metropolitan area. By that, I mean that all properties will fluctuate along similar percentiles. Scarsdale will always be more valuable than Hartsdale. But the same house, right now, might cost $500,000 in Hartsdale, and $900,000 in Scarsdale. Ten years ago, that same house in Hartsdale may have been $250,000 and the Scarsdale house was $450,000. And in ten years, both houses are likely to have increased by somewhat similar percentages.

To see what I mean, one only needs to look at a place like Yonkers. Horrible schools, yet no shortage of million dollar homes.

The only time you will see real major variability in a sub-region, is if something unexpected happens--- A nuclear accident in Indian Point, and property values will plummet in Croton. Or, if Greenburgh completely turns about its schools to become award winning schools, then it might increase at a higher percentage. Complete the new Tappan Zee bridge to improve commuting options, and a town like Nyack could see substantial increases in property values.
But since you can't plan for the unexpected-- Different subregions won't vary substantially in terms of re-sale gains and losses.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:45 PM

26 posts, read 116,288 times
Near Briarcliff, you might want to look at Poncantico Hills schools

Old 10-02-2008, 04:58 PM

thanks - we looked at so many places in Westchester that we became frustrated - ended up this week finding a place in rockland county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County