Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 PM

32 posts, read 63,343 times

Advertisements

We are a family with two children, (one in K and another in pre-K). We are relocating to NY. I'm looking for good schools for my children and we want to rent apartment/townhouse. We are ready to commute to work, so the criteria is the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 10:12 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Do you have a budget in mind? That can help to narrow selections. Also, how long of a commute would be tolerable? I am assuming that you'd be commuting to Manhattan.

The districts mentioned: Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, and White Plains have school systems that tend to have average performance by Westchester standards. Top-tier districts can be expensive, but there are a good number of school districts that are good, yet do not carry the price premium of a top Westchester district.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-04-2009, 08:25 AM

Thankyou for your reply. One of us work at Tarrytown. Less than 1hour commute is tolerable. As I mentioned earlier, school is the main criteria. The average household income in Tarrytown is $80K per annum (before taxes) and will it be possible to stick to that. Can you please tell me about the good school districts.

Thank you

Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 AM

Sure, some good school districts in the same general area would include: Hastings-on-Hudson, Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, and Irvington, though Irvington can get expensive in terms of housing. Valhalla, Thornwood, North White Plains (with Valhalla schools -- not city of White Plains), and Pleasantville also have good districts. And toward the east side of the county, Pelham, Harrison, and Larchmont/Mamaroneck are also very good districts, and are within your preferred commute range.

Scarsdale and Bronxville are two sought-after districts in Westchester, but Scarsdale can be a pressure cooker district that also has comparatively expensive housing, and Bronxville is just as expensive in the village, which is where you would need to live for the schools as the zip code straddles other areas that are billed as Bronxville, but are not in the school district. Edgemont, aka Greenville, is also a good school district and it's immediately to the west of Scarsdale, with either a Scarsdale or Hartsdale mailing address. It's part of the Town of Greenburgh, but does not have a downtown area of its own, save for Central Avenue, and the train to Manhattan is in Scarsdale. That's similar to Dobbs Ferry-Ardsley as well where much of Ardsley is not in immediate proximity to the train as the station is in Dobbs Ferry.

Tarrytown is changing, but if your priority is the best school district right now, I'd look in the surrounding area first, since you'd have an easy commute to work as well. At the honors/AP ranges, Tarrytown has some good programs, as does neighboring Sleepy Hollow, but the districts have more economic diversity than say Irvington or Hastings in the immediate area, such that performance statistics tend to show that the edge in achievement, and to some degree in facilities and materials, lies in the more homogenous, smaller (by population, not area) school districts.

ETA: Eastchester might also be a consideration as it's a solid school district that serves Eastchester and part of Tuckahoe. Tuckahoe, though a small district, comparatively, is also a respected school district, and it serves part of Eastchester and Tuckahoe. The Town of Eastchester has three districts: Eastchester, Tuckahoe, and Bronxville, but Bronxville does not straddle the village borders whereas Tuckahoe and Eastchester do cross into one another, within the Town of Eastchester's borders.

City-Data FAQs

Old 08-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the information. I would like to stick to the good public schools. I don't have a option for private schools.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:57 PM

Default good elementary

is it possible to tell me the names of good elementary schools (public)

Old 08-04-2009, 04:06 PM

Thank you bmwguydc,

It was a very wealthy information indeed. I would like to ask you how expensive it is to live in scarsdale? I found may good school there like,
edgewood, seely place, green acres, quaker ridge, greenville school etc.,

Old 08-04-2009, 04:20 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Scarsdale is the mother lode. Two million dollar homes are not uncommon. There are some co-ops, however, that are less pricey.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:42 PM

For a tiny house in Scarsdale, I'd expect to pay around $3k/month for starters in a rental, and on up from there. The same house to buy would be around $750k+. An unremarkable 1950s, split-level in Scarsdale can rent for $4-$5k/month, and cost over $900k to buy.

ETA: In places like Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Pleasantville, or Valhalla where one might find more multi-family houses, or subdivided houses, I would expect to find rentals between $1800 and $2k for starters, and possibly even some townhouses for not much more, and houses in Valhalla might start just above $2k for some of the smaller houses. Most single-family homes will be priced around $3k in the river towns, but are larger than the cottages in Scarsdale for the same price. Irvington will be expensive, much like Scarsdale, and Pelham can be expensive, but the housing dollar stretches a bit further. A dividided house in Pelham might be somewhere around $2500 for an apartment, and a single family home will be more expensive. Buying would tend to vary by housing style and neighborhood, in a good district, but the lower priced houses are probably going to be around Valhalla/North White Plains in this part of the county, with good schools, and they would run north of $500k, unless the house is in need of considerable updating, or is tiny. West Harrison might also not be a bad bet, but some blocks are not as posh, but the schools are good, and rentals for a divided house would start around $1500/month.

Hope that helps.

City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-04-2009 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Added a couple of areas

Old 08-05-2009, 08:09 AM

Oh! god! V. expensive. I was prepared for $1500-1700 on rent. We are not going to invest on house for a while. In that case, will staying in NJ and commuting to Tarry town make more sense? Is thee any good school district that you may know. Please throw your inputs. I really appreciate your help.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County