Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:50 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Ohhhhh. I was wondering because there was a poster a while back who complained about the product selection in Waynesville being more limited than other Ingles.

...Do you ever shop the alternative places in Asheville, like Earth Fare? Or the Farmers Market?
Yes, we hit the Ingles in Canton on occasion, and anytime one of us is heading for Asheville, we take the cooler and hit Sam's, Fresh Mkt and/or Earth Fare, et al.
We have a good FarmMkt here in Waynesville Wed & Sat, for fresh veggies, great fish, etc., but difficult to stock up, and there are many things FarmMkts don't sell
that must be found at the grocery store.

I have also heard that Publix-Ingles agreement, but doubt that kind of quid pro quo would remain in effect in today's dog eat dog grocery biz...

If it came off like a whine, it wasn't intended, but I do much of the shopping and the variety, quality, etc., in the Waynesville area, regardless of store brand, is pretty crummy, imo.

NEway, I'm with AshevilleNative and Garth: some rigorous work needs to be done to attract companies to Asheville area/western NC. Without jobs, or at least better paying jobs than tourism, service industry and construction, there is little to recommend for the young people coming of age, or un-retired moving into the area. I would not want to be looking for a job these days, here or anywhere, I suppose.
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
I'd like to see the region develop a defined industrial/research area - whatever works. It should be develpped to attract the kind of businesses that have a future, like medical research and development, technology, or soemthing else along those lines.

This is such a nice place to work, live and play, it seems to me that a targeted effort to attract research, development and production business would provide benefits to the community and the companies willing to establish themselves in the region. An area with the appropriate facilities and access would need to be defined.

Certain tax benefits could be made available to attact the type of businesses desired. The region would be paid back in multiples with higher paying jobs and the monies spent in the communities.

That is what I would like to see.
As soon as that happens, the same people that are now complaining about the high cost of living and lack of employment will begin complaining about the higher cost of living, the influx of rude yankee furiners, and the continued development of mountainside mansions. And that's exactly what would happen.

I'm just sayin'.

Personally, I'd rather see Asheville remain a nice, small, tourist city that isn't overdeveloped, wrought with Raleigh-like traffic, and overwhelmed with more mountainside mansions, starbucks, and walmarts.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:08 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Speaking of jobs, let me tell you guys about something I learned straight from a city employee the other week.

Apparently they advertise many of their jobs nationally.......

Is anyone else as bothered by this as I am, coming from the same city that screams "shop locally"? Its one thing if they have a position open for a month + and no one from the asheville area applies/is qualified, but to just put them out there for all? I really doubt they couldn't have found a qualified person in Asheville for the job that I'm specifically referring to, I was one of them.

I would love to see the city stop this nonsense and hire locally.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:09 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
i would love an ice skating rink ! nice idea to collect some ideas, btw .... maybe the right people read it

trader joe's as mentioned would be great. more ideas to come - i don't even live in the area yet

Old 10-25-2010, 02:13 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
i would love an ice skating rink ! nice idea to collect some ideas, btw .... maybe the right people read it

trader joe's as mentioned would be great. more ideas to come - i don't even live in the area yet
We have an ice rink at the civic center, but the ice maker or something is broken and the city doesn't want to fix it. Suprise suprise for the falling apart civic center.

In fact, I took figure skating lessons there when I was younger. Then they started only having it open for select weekends around Christmas, I think last year was the first year they haven't done that.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
see, GREAT someone started this thread ! I remember a posting from last year, when a user asked about an ice rink, but nobody had a clue where to find one.

let me think what else asheville might leave to be desired (not a lot, when you come from Delaware )

Old 10-26-2010, 01:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
What would like to see built/developed here in the Asheville area? Let's try and keep it positive. This is not meant to be a bash-fest of Asheville.

My contribution. I'd love to see a bigger zoo and a really cool Science Museum.

And you????
What zoo is in Asheville?

Why does the area need to be developed? People are bitching about development and the influx of people that Raleigh, Charlotte, and to a lesser extent Winston-Salem have experienced. Why on earth would Asheville want that? Or the rest of WNC for that matter.

I personally like the wilderness and the lack of "stuff" there. That's what makes it such a relaxing place to be! I'd be heartbroken to see Walmarts popped up in every town, drug stores on all four corners of an intersection appeared, the fast food chain developing on both side of the road for miles....why give up the mom and pop places that provide local people jobs and local goods? I can tell you I'd rather eat at Garlic Knots than Pizza Hut! Most of the money I paid for my meal stayed in Maggie Valley also. It didn't go to pocket of CEO of Pepsico. It's nice to put a human face with a business.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:39 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,248,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
What zoo is in Asheville?

Why does the area need to be developed? People are bitching about development and the influx of people that Raleigh, Charlotte, and to a lesser extent Winston-Salem have experienced. Why on earth would Asheville want that? Or the rest of WNC for that matter.

I personally like the wilderness and the lack of "stuff" there. That's what makes it such a relaxing place to be! I'd be heartbroken to see Walmarts popped up in every town, drug stores on all four corners of an intersection appeared, the fast food chain developing on both side of the road for miles....why give up the mom and pop places that provide local people jobs and local goods? I can tell you I'd rather eat at Garlic Knots than Pizza Hut! Most of the money I paid for my meal stayed in Maggie Valley also. It didn't go to pocket of CEO of Pepsico. It's nice to put a human face with a business.

Oy vey! you people are totally missing the point of my thread (except for a few of you) .... I'll say it again, the idea is to search your brain for something "fun" you would like to see here. I said a really nice zoo - we have the NC Nature Center and it's OK - but, really when you've been to bigger zoos (Atlanta, Columbia etc) it's just not the same.

blah, blah, blah I know - Asheville is NOT Atlanta or Columbia. Again, that's not the point.

Besides, this is really just a dreamy little thread about what kind of fun things would you like to see here.

Sheesh - I won't start threads again if we can't all play along.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:41 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,396 times
1: A racetrack / dragstrip. The one that was being built near Canton seems to be DOA since 2005. Of course it will never happen because of all the NIMBYs.

2: A good authentic Korean resturant.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Oy vey! you people are totally missing the point of my thread (except for a few of you) .... I'll say it again, the idea is to search your brain for something "fun" you would like to see here. I said a really nice zoo - we have the NC Nature Center and it's OK - but, really when you've been to bigger zoos (Atlanta, Columbia etc) it's just not the same.

blah, blah, blah I know - Asheville is NOT Atlanta or Columbia. Again, that's not the point.

Besides, this is really just a dreamy little thread about what kind of fun things would you like to see here.

Sheesh - I won't start threads again if we can't all play along.
Thank GOD Asheville isn't Columbia!

To some, WNC is perfect the way it is! No need to dream about having Super Targets or Walgreens or roller coasters or attractions as far as the eye can see. I was excited to see a 24 hour supermarket in Waynesville. I didn't expect one. That Ingles is really nice compared to the grocery stores where I live.

I kind of wish Ghost Town would reopen. I hear from lots of folks in MV that losing it has really hurt them economically and fewer folks visit because it's gone. The closing of Soco Zoo didn't help either. So there was once a zoo, but attendance was so poor, they had to close.

I grew up hearing about people wanting to develop the Adirondacks. Thankfully most of the land is owned by the State Park so you can't touch it. THe land that isn't though....wow has it been destroyed! There's no fixing it! Once humans wreck what nature created, it's done for. No going to Wallies and getting some duct tape to fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina