Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,434 times

Advertisements

I've lived in CT for my whole life (I'm 25 years old). Although I truly enjoy CT, it lacks many attributes of a good place to live, including diversity, culture, and things to do. The best thing about it is my family and friends, NYC & Boston being within 2.5 hours, hiking/biking/snowboarding, and my great job. The worst thing is the high cost of living. I wouldn't mind a high cost of living if there was something truly special about the area. But CT really doesn't have anything to offer in return other than good jobs (which I believe will eventually leave due to the high cost of doing business).

Anyway, I've decided I need a change. I'm in the works of securing a really good job, that will potentially pay me more than what I'm making in CT.

I'm just curious, has anyone else made the move from New England (especially CT) to Asheville? If so, how do you feel and what are your comparisons? I will be visiting the area soon, but I'd like to have as much input as I can before I made a really important decision.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:11 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstephsls1 View Post
I've lived in CT for my whole life (I'm 25 years old). Although I truly enjoy CT, it lacks many attributes of a good place to live, including diversity, culture, and things to do. The best thing about it is my family and friends, NYC & Boston being within 2.5 hours, hiking/biking/snowboarding, and my great job. The worst thing is the high cost of living. I wouldn't mind a high cost of living if there was something truly special about the area. But CT really doesn't have anything to offer in return other than good jobs (which I believe will eventually leave due to the high cost of doing business).

Anyway, I've decided I need a change. I'm in the works of securing a really good job, that will potentially pay me more than what I'm making in CT.

I'm just curious, has anyone else made the move from New England (especially CT) to Asheville? If so, how do you feel and what are your comparisons? I will be visiting the area soon, but I'd like to have as much input as I can before I made a really important decision.

Thank you.

All the things you list above, that you love about your home state, mainly family and a great job ..... are the best reasons to stay put. Asheville is high cost of living and very few jobs. The grass is not always greener. If you have a great job in this economy, why throw it away just because you are bored.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
All the things you list above, that you love about your home state, mainly family and a great job ..... are the best reasons to stay put. Asheville is high cost of living and very few jobs. The grass is not always greener. If you have a great job in this economy, why throw it away just because you are bored.
Asheville actually has almost a 15% lower cost of living, so I'm assuming you're unfamiliar with living in the northeast. Also, I have a great degree and skills that I worked my butt off for which are in very high demand. Trust me, it wasn't the location that attracted me to Asheville, it is a really awesome job opportunity. I'm not asking IF I should move to Asheville, because clearly I'm not going to listen to anyone who doesn't know my predicament. I am asking if anyone has made a move from New England to the area and how they compare the two, so I can make a better comparison between the two areas.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstephsls1 View Post
Asheville actually has almost a 15% lower cost of living, so I'm assuming you're unfamiliar with living in the northeast. Also, I have a great degree and skills that I worked my butt off for which are in very high demand. Trust me, it wasn't the location that attracted me to Asheville, it is a really awesome job opportunity. I'm not asking IF I should move to Asheville, because clearly I'm not going to listen to anyone who doesn't know my predicament. I am asking if anyone has made a move from New England to the area and how they compare the two, so I can make a better comparison between the two areas.
If you do a search through the topics on City Data for "Asheville", you will see many topics about Asheville that will interest you relevant to the cost of living, home prices, rent, and all of the attributes you can compare.

Congratulations that you have an awesome job opportunity; employment opportunities are scarce in the mountains and I'm sure you had a lot of competition; best wishes for your success. There are several "transplants" throughout the state who have moved from the northeast and New England in particular for various reasons. The major cities they are attracted to are Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham and of course, the beautiful coast of NC. Since this is a major tourist area because of its beauty and pristine National Forests, the Blue Ridge Parkway and submerged in history, it does attract folks who purchase second homes from all over the world, making for an interesting mix of gentrification.

As to comparisons between New England and Asheville; we can't really compare an entire area to the Asheville, which is a small city at approximately 2500 ft. above sea level. It's about the size of Providence, but not as modern; yet has a very artsy Bohemian feel to it, and somewhat progressive. Lots of culture, entertainment, Appalachian and folk music, lots of history, arts and crafts; laid back atmosphere. Excellent hospitals and medical care. No major law firms, but several medium size law firms. You would see a big difference in the amount of stress between the northeast and here. If you haven't been to the Asheville area, it would be advisable to spend a week here and see how it feels for you.

Many times I've suggested that people interested in the various sections of this large state visit www.ourstate.com which will give you a vast overview of the attributes of each. (I have also sent you a private msg. which this site sends via your email.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina