Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:22 AM

112 posts, read 317,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbirds View Post
Badwolf, I have to reply to your insulting and ignorant post. I don't know anything about Waynesville, but to mention Boone and Deliverance country in the same statement is ignorant. Not only is Appalachian State University located in Boone, but has numerous accolades about the education received there. Do a google search. My son is graduating with his masters in the spring, but already has a job before he graduates in May with a major corporation. Wal-Mart may be a place the students shop for basics but there is a thriving downtown area as well. Highways 321, 421, 105, and 221 are all mostly 4 lane now. As far as Spruce Pine, nearby Penland School of Crafts is nationally known and has teachers from all over the country that teach there. Yes, it is further out, and is a small town but no means are you in "Deliverance Country".
As far as snow country, there are several ski resorts and believe me, unless there is a real blizzard or ice storm, you can usually travel quite easily on the main roads in the Boone area and beyond.

I apologize if I offended you. I am native to Western NC, I can not count how many times I have been to Boone & Spruce Pine. I am aware of all the things you mentioned that is in both those area. I also have friends that live out there. I went to school with MANY people who went to college out there.

When I said Deliverance country I just meant it is VERY secluded areas, far from any big cities or towns, no major interstates, etc... By a lot of people standards that makes the area in the boonies. Locals who are born & raised in WNC often refer to places like that as Deliverance country, I have heard people refer to rural areas around Asheville as Deliverance country. No offense is intended, it is just something we call VERY remote places.

Just in case you didn't know, the movie Deliverance was actually filmed in Haywood & Jackson Counties of WNC, the actor in the movie that made Ned Baity "squeal like a pig" is a native to Canton in Haywood County & still lives there. After the filming of that movie Burt Reynolds bought property in Jackson County but lost it in the divorce to Lonnie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 07:41 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Painted Lady, have you looked into (in depth and stayed in) Black Mountain? I can see opportunities there for both your r/e and artistic endeavors, plus you are right IN the mountains, and yet have interstate access nearby, and Asheville at your doorstep for the culture, the arts and wonderful entertainment. It is a jewel.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 PM

440 posts, read 1,092,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Painted Lady, have you looked into (in depth and stayed in) Black Mountain? I can see opportunities there for both your r/e and artistic endeavors, plus you are right IN the mountains, and yet have interstate access nearby, and Asheville at your doorstep for the culture, the arts and wonderful entertainment. It is a jewel.
I might not be remembering what was said...but awhile back on the forum I thought someone said this area (Black Mountain) was smelly.... a mill or something. It could have been another town............?? Donna

Old 02-05-2011, 06:57 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,429,172 times
My parents are from Spruce Pine and I still have loads of family in the town and in the area. SP is no harder to get to than Boone - in fact, it is probably easier. Yes, it is a very small town. Most of the economy was based on mining...then on furniture manufacturing, which has now mostly dried up. Times are not good there right now.....but....it has a growing artisan community.
If you are in the area, please go there yourself and take a look.
Meanwhile, here's a start: Mitchell County Chamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedLady View Post
I might not be remembering what was said...but awhile back on the forum I thought someone said this area (Black Mountain) was smelly.... a mill or something. It could have been another town............?? Donna
Canton NC, just west of Asheville, has the paper mill and is the smelly area. Black Mountain is just east of Asheville.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:20 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Quote:
I am still looking through the forum & online....but any input on "Spruce Pine" would be helpful. We are still looking around Banner Elk/Boone and also open to around Waynesville/Asheville. Thanks! Donna
Personal perference; I love Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, and Boone the best! Waynesville, I have mixed feelings, and Spruce Pine I actually am not crazy about. I almost find it depressing. I can't explain why. I had family who lived there for a short while and they were not happy there. They got out fast and moved outside Asheville.

If I can make it work i will be moving to the High Country. I checked out Waynesville for a time but I just can't get past the High Country. My next choice after that is Brevard.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCbadwolf View Post
Yeah, I suppose you don't realize that all the places you have mentioned are WAY off in the mtns, mostly 2 lane roads to get in & out of the town, VERY limited shopping & dinning. When it snows even an inch the entire towns shut down, sometimes even closing off the roads in & out of town. Deliverance country. In places like Boone, Spruce Pine & Waynesville going to Wal-Mart is a HUGE social event. That is the highlight of some peoples week.

Have you ever actually been to any of those area?
Give me a break - Boone and Waynesville the boonies?? REALLY?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
You are confusing info Black Mountain is a very desirable little town to live in.

Canton is where the paper mill is.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:18 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You are confusing info Black Mountain is a very desirable little town to live in.

Canton is where the paper mill is.
Yes yes. Black Mountain was another one of my possibilities. The 5 B's I call em;
Blowing Rock/Boone, Banner Elk, Brevard and Black Mtn;

But I really like the higher elevation. I also liked Brevard.
But Black Mtn was great. Very Very dog friendly if you are into that, and I am. I also love that you can hop up the road and be in Montreat and hit the trails.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,736 times
I'm sitting at about 5,000ft above sea level as I type this. Mount air rocks.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
I'm sitting at about 5,000ft above sea level as I type this. Mount air rocks.
hahaha - especially when wind speeds are up to 35mph or more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina