Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:05 AM

112 posts, read 317,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I hope you can make an effort not to be so negative about your heritage area; it is beautiful, you may be discouraged just as others are. There are many many people looking forward to living here in order to better their quality of life.

Did you know that several high tech companies have started construction in Rutherford County because of its proximity to Charlotte, and the area was chosen to boost the job market? The huge companies in the news building additional manufacturing and and technical firms are: Google, Facebook, Apple; over near Greenville SC, there is BMW adding another plant, their 3rd I believe; Michelin Tire Co. and a host of exploding growth in that border sector between SC and NC. They are attracting talent to fill those jobs.

I have said nothing negative about the scenery or the beauty of the area. I know it is beautiful here. Personally I never look at the mtns or the scenery. When you are born & raised in an area you tend to take it all for granted & think nothing of it. So many people have asked me how I can not be in awe of all of this, but those people typically lived near the ocean most of their lives & they take it for granted, they tell me how boring the beach is to them. But for some reason they just can not see someone would ever not be in love with the mtns.

I did know about the new companies coming to Rutherford County & I did mention that in one of my last posts. I also said in that post that perhaps in the future after those companies open then maybe things will improve but I doubt that companies will pay $80,000 a year any time soon.

In all my post all I am doing is posting facts that can be verified & I try to post link to where you can verify the information. I also only state my opinion & personal experience & that is all it is, my opinion. People reading it can do with my opinion as they see fit, take it under advisement or completely ignore it.

All I am trying to do is get information out there beyond just how pretty the area is. I meet people around town almost every day that tell me they moved here because they came here on vacation, read something on the internet about the area, saw it on HGTV or some other TV show, or they know people who moved here. They come here thinking they are going to be able to earn money comparable to where they just left, they think that since it is a small rural area or in the South or whatever reason then the cost of living & housing must be cheap. But once they get here they find out that things are quite different than they expected. I can not count the number of people who wish they had never moved here because the pay is so low, jobs are hard to come by & they can not afford the kind of house they use to live in. They still think it is beautiful here, they still like the area in general, but they can not have the kind of life they want because the lack of money & high cost of living. Now they are stuck here & can not afford all the cost that go along with moving.

I have to admit I have never hear a retiree who moved here say that. Typically people who retire here have money. They sold their $300,000 or more house, wherever it is they came from, so that gives them plenty of money to put a down payment on a place here or they pay cash. Since they have money they can afford the cost of daily life here. Those people can afford to move somewhere just for the sake of beauty.

Just like any area in the country there are going to be people living there that love it & hate it. I would just hate it if I moved somewhere & found out that I can not earn the kind of money I am use to making or even a living wage, then I find out the kind of home that I am use to living in is out of my reach & I am going to have to rent something in a bad neighborhood or something run down or in an area far outside of where I really wanted to live, then find out that I have spent all my money getting there & now I can no longer afford to leave. When I am finally able to afford to get out of these mtns & this state I hope someone out there is willing to tell me ALL the things about the area, good & bad. If all I hear is good things about an area then my expectations are going to be very high & when I get there & find out that I don't exactly see the same things everyone mentioned as wonderfully as everyone keep telling me then it is going to be a HUGE let down, and may be something that makes me regret ever moving there. But if people tell me what the good & bad about an area are then I think I will be much better informed & will be able to make a much better educated decision about moving there.

Moving to a new city, town or area that you have never lived in before is no different than going to a new restaurant you have never been before. You look them up online, check out their website, read how great they think they are, read about their new head chief & how he went to the best schools & previously worked in all the best restaurants, read about all the many awards they have earned, you then look up all their reviews online & see that that a huge majority of the reviews are positive, everyone seems to love them, then you meet some people who have been there & all they can talk about is how beautiful the place is, how they have a HUGE selection of main dishes, their deserts are to die for, they have a vast wine & beer selection. Everything you read & hear about the place is positive & everything you have heard make the place sound perfect for you, everything you want out of a restaurant, all you favorite foods.

So one day you decide you are going to give them place a try. You walk in the door & instantly taken back by all the beautiful decorations, the staff look so professional, the tables have linen table cloths & napkins, awesome chandeliers & authentic artwork. Then you sit down & take a look at the menu, First you notice how well planned out, innovative & original the menu is. The waiter gives you the wine & beer list that would make some people just scream in delight but you are not really a drinker & have no interest in wine or beer, but you do want a nice glass of sweet tea, but then you find out they only serve unsweet & you know that just adding sugar to cold tea does not work. so you ask what else they have & the only other options are water & coffee. Typically you don't really like coffee with a meal & water is just to bland, so you make do & get water. Then you order a steak entrée, which comes with a salad. You ask what kind of dressing they have for the salad & they tell you they have a vinaigrette, Catalina & Cesar. Non of which are your favorite, you just can not stand any vinegar base dressings, Cesar is just to heavy & Catalina is ok but not what you really want, so you make do & get the Catalina. Then the steak comes, it looks perfect, you cut into it & see that it is cooked exactly the way you like it. As you eat it you discover it is quite greasily & tough. The flavor is a bit odd, you ask the waiter about the steak & find out that when the chief cooks it they add a splash of red wine to it, Since you are not into wine that just completely turns you off on the steak now. Now you are ready for desert, you order the cheese cake. It comes to the table, you take a bite & just melt, you have never had anything that wonderful in your life.

Then when you get the check the horrible realization of how much it costs sets in, your meal of a water, salad, steak, baked potato & cheese cake has cost you $25. You only have $20 on you & no credit cards, no checks, nothing, just $20 cash. Now what do you do? So when people ask you about the place & you feel that you need to be honest, you tell them that the place is beautiful, the most beautiful place you have ever been, the staff is wonderful, the cheese cake is to die for BUT the non alcoholic drink choice is very disappointing & limited, the salad dressing choice is also disappointing & limited, the steak was tough & kind of odd flavored. The the cost of what you had is WAY overpriced especially for the amount of food you had. When asked will you go there again you tell them probably not, the place may be beautiful but I can not eat the beauty & even if I could I could not afford it.

If someone had mentioned before I went to this restaurant that I could not get sweet tea, that the steaks are cooked with red wine, the salad dressing choice is nothing I really want & that it would cost me $25 then I probably would not have gone in the first place. I am sure there are MANY people out there that would love that the place has such a huge wine & beer selection because that is what they want, I am sure there are MANY people who would have thought the salad dressings were to die for & the steak was the best steak they ever had & MANY people would think that $25 is a very fair price for all of that. But there are also MANY people who would think the same as me & they too would get swept away with all the talk about the place & they too would go to this place & walk away VERY disappointed & those people would have probably appreciated it if someone had told them the truth about the place & not just talk about the beauty of the place & how awesome the wine & beer list was.

Can you see the point I am trying to make. I just want to get as much information out there, good & bad, so people can make as educated discussion as possible & not be swayed only by the beauty of the area.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-05-2011 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: NO discussion of moderator activity, per the TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 07:21 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,244,255 times
Don't hold back, Bad Wolf, tell us how you feel.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
Ignore some posters,you will be able to live very well on that amount of money and a small property like you want is MUCH cheaper than some are posting....

A quick search on realtor.com found a 3bd 2ba home on 19 acres with horse barn for less than $300,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina