Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:12 AM

31 posts, read 82,419 times

Advertisements

With all the strange weather the US has had - how much snow has fallen? Is the ice worse than snow?

Would a family of 2 be able to afford to keep/maintain a small farmette (5 acres, 4 chickens and 2 horses) living on the main family salary of $80K. We would not have to be forced into a poverty lifestyle but we do live within our means - comfortable.

I am just starting to look into the area, due to possible transfer for my DH job.

Are there any websites that deal with equestrians in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
The area in and around Landrum, Tryon is nice horse country and there are many facilities there. I would suggest you call a good Realtor in Rutherford or Polk County because they will have all of the information you could want; and you need to start with finding that 5 acres of land and a house. The income you mention should be sufficient, but that again is a question for a Realtor and a good banker. Rutherfordton is growing, downtown renovations have begun I believe, and the proximity to Charlotte is reasonable. Wish you the best !

Old 02-04-2011, 02:59 PM

112 posts, read 317,162 times
Looking on a few real estate sites I have found that in the Rutherford county area, a house with 5 acres typically sells for between $400,000 & over $1 million.

Have you already got work that in Rutherford county that will pay you $80,000 a year? If not then I seriously doubt you will find one that pays so much. The median income for the county is $36,000. The per capita income is $16,000. There are a few business comming into the county so maybe the pay will increase but I seriously doubt it will reach $80,000 any times soon.

Here are some links about the county

Rutherford County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Welcome to Rutherford County Government - North Carolina

Departments of Rutherford County Government

Rutherford County, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chimney Rock, Lake Lure North Carolina Mountain Vacation Packages

RUTHERFORD COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

Rutherford County Schools

Rutherford County*Center: Weather

https://edis.commerce.state.nc.us/do...e/NC/37161.pdf

Old 02-04-2011, 03:17 PM

Default housing prices -vs- income

That's what I was find for real estate also. It seems that real estate is being over priced for local residents. Where are the people that can afford these homes work?

Comprise is always the fun time in buying. Moving into a community that that has a association is out of the question.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:30 PM

112 posts, read 317,162 times
Cost of housing all thru the Western part of the state is WAY over priced. The general pay is WAY too low.

It is hard to make it here unless you move here with money. I have no idea how people are able to afford those home. I do know a large portion of the population are retired. They came here with money & so they are not working.

A lot of the homes have been on the market for quite a while. There are a few places close to my home that have been for sale for years & the price has not really gone down.

The recession has not really affected the housing market much here in the mtns of NC. New homes are put up for sale every day but the prices they are asking is the same as before the crash.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCbadwolf View Post
Cost of housing all thru the Western part of the state is WAY over priced. The general pay is WAY too low.

It is hard to make it here unless you move here with money. I have no idea how people are able to afford those home. I do know a large portion of the population are retired. They came here with money & so they are not working.

A lot of the homes have been on the market for quite a while. There are a few places close to my home that have been for sale for years & the price has not really gone down.

The recession has not really affected the housing market much here in the mtns of NC. New homes are put up for sale every day but the prices they are asking is the same as before the crash.
Badwolf, I am sorry, but because of your own situation you are misleading people. We all have empathy for you, but at the same time, you are doing an excellent job of getting your life on track by going to college and paying your own way. You have a very bright future ahead of you if you can hang in there and realize what your efforts will accomplish.

The recession has affected the housing market here just as it has all over the country, prices are down, homes are staying on the market longer, and every buyer is looking for a bargain. The country may never see the bubble that started in 2007, but that is fine. Prices were at an all time high, and the free market will adjust prices as time goes on. There are several topics on the forum about inflation, deflation, the housing situation and so forth. I hope you can make an effort not to be so negative about your heritage area; it is beautiful, you may be discouraged just as others are. There are many many people looking forward to living here in order to better their quality of life. People have been settling here forever, and getting along just fine. The Asheville area was overdeveloped in the past seven or eight years, but the Rutherfordton area is just seeing their growth period.

Did you know that several high tech companes have started construction in Rutherford County because of its proximity to Charlotte, and the area was chosen to boost the job market? The huge companies in the news building additional manufacturing and and technical firms are: Google, Facebook, Apple; over near Greenville SC, there is BMW adding another plant, their 3rd I believe; Michelin Tire Co. and a host of exploding growth in that border sector between SC and NC. They are attracting talent to fill those jobs.

I believe the OP said her husband is waiting to hear if he's been accepted for a job in Rutherford County; let's wish them well, they also have a nice future ahead of them. They will be just fine.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 02-04-2011 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 02-04-2011, 04:14 PM

Default home sales

Through out the U.S. we see that houses have been sitting on the market for months.

A great example of this would be to watch some current episodes of HGTV. The used to go in and redesign homes to sell and would have a tagline that the house sold soon after the show was filmed. Recent shows are not showing that homes are selling. Which is very discouraging if you are going to put your home on the market. I no longer think people are concerned as much with decorations but more concerned about the bones of the house and if it's been updated.

Buyers need to buy in order to boost the local economy going, which will stimulate companies to employ more at reasonable salaries.

But that is really getting off what I was orginally posting about. This forum has been great to review areas that we are looking about to relocate. It's helped me cross off areas of the U.S. that I was considering. Which saves a lot of stress. The area looks very rural - which is great. Will I need to bring a cooler in my car to get ice cream at the supermarket during the summer?

Old 02-04-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd dawgy View Post
Through out the U.S. we see that houses have been sitting on the market for months.

A great example of this would be to watch some current episodes of HGTV. The used to go in and redesign homes to sell and would have a tagline that the house sold soon after the show was filmed. Recent shows are not showing that homes are selling. Which is very discouraging if you are going to put your home on the market. I no longer think people are concerned as much with decorations but more concerned about the bones of the house and if it's been updated.

Buyers need to buy in order to boost the local economy going, which will stimulate companies to employ more at reasonable salaries.

But that is really getting off what I was orginally posting about. This forum has been great to review areas that we are looking about to relocate. It's helped me cross off areas of the U.S. that I was considering. Which saves a lot of stress. The area looks very rural - which is great. Will I need to bring a cooler in my car to get ice cream at the supermarket during the summer?
No, not at all. Our average temp in the summer months ranges around 85 degrees. You will get a few days in the low 90's, but it won't last; and there is always a breeze; thus, all the southern porches with rockers. Lovely. We hope you c'mon down.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 02-04-2011 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Badwolf, I am sorry, but because of your own situation you are misleading people. We all have empathy for you, but at the same time, you are doing an excellent job of getting your life on track by going to college and paying your own way. You have a very bright future ahead of you if you can hang in there and realize what your efforts will accomplish.

The recession has affected the housing market here just as it has all over the country, prices are down, homes are staying on the market longer, and every buyer is looking for a bargain. The country may never see the bubble that started in 2007, but that is fine. Prices were at an all time high, and the free market will adjust prices as time goes on. There are several topics on the forum about inflation, deflation, the housing situation and so forth. I hope you can make an effort not to be so negative about your heritage area; it is beautiful, you may be discouraged just as others are. There are many many people looking forward to living here in order to better their quality of life. People have been settling here forever, and getting along just fine. The Asheville area was overdeveloped in the past seven or eight years, but the Rutherfordton area is just seeing their growth period.

Did you know that several high tech companes have started construction in Rutherford County because of its proximity to Charlotte, and the area was chosen to boost the job market? The huge companies in the news building additional manufacturing and and technical firms are: Google, Facebook, Apple; over near Greenville SC, there is BMW adding another plant, their 3rd I believe; Michelin Tire Co. and a host of exploding growth in that border sector between SC and NC. They are attracting talent to fill those jobs.

I believe the OP said her husband is waiting to hear if he's been accepted for a job in Rutherford County; let's wish them well, they also have a nice future ahead of them. They will be just fine.

You are correct Quilter, and Bad's negativity is really a downer. People being transferred into your area because of a job are already coming with their salaries. These job transfers are NOT based on the median income of the area. I think the tech companies coming to your area will help the economy a lot. I was just reading in one of the local papers how the construction of FB is already helping businesses such as restaurants and hotels.

My family and I recently stayed in another state for 6 weeks while dh worked temporarily on a job. At the same time, I read in the paper there how the economy was slightly improving and I had to laugh because I felt like I was personally responsible with all my shopping and sightseeing. But the fact is, a tech company is building a new data center there and they brought jobs, and people who needed hotels and restaurants and wanted to do all the activities the area had to offer.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:32 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd dawgy View Post
...The area looks very rural - which is great. Will I need to bring a cooler in my car to get ice cream at the supermarket during the summer?
Depends upon one's definition of 'rural'. We lived in NY for 30 yrs, including ~20 yrs about 45 miles from Times Square; but that was 'rural' as in 3 acres in the woods, bear, turkey, etc. So, I hope you get my perspective on how terms can be interpreted.

And, 'Western North Carolina' is a vast area that encompasses many segments of living situations, ranging from nearly suburban to 'rural' to back in the coves/remote. Yes, the entire are is 'great', imo.

Coolers for ice cream: doubtful, though a cooler for transporting sushi/sashimi is rec'd no matter where one is in the US. And, summer temps depend upon where one lives, and especially at what altitude.

When it's 88 in H'ville or 85 in A'ville, where I live it's maybe 75. Our 'high' last summer, at 5,000 feet, in a very hot summer, was 79 degs F in the shade...

My point is generalizations on this or any Board, are unavoidable, but like any board, one needs several anecdotal bits to get a picture of any situation. Beyond that, a week or two in any spot gives more info than any term paper, or opin, on any net board, imo.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina