Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:04 AM

19 posts, read 50,606 times

Advertisements

I am a very positive person, however, there are so many good activities to experience and places to visit. Which area would you consider the most over publicized? That is, where would you not wish to return?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 12:47 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,160,663 times
This is a really strange question. Whether I'd want to return to some place has nothing to do with how publicized it is. Rather, it depends on whether I liked it or not. And that depends on my own personal tastes and preferences. A lot of the best places in the mountains are probably over-publicized, but that doesn't make them any less fun or attractive.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:07 PM

112 posts, read 317,299 times
For me it is Haywood Rd. Until recent years that part of town was the most run down, filthy, gross part of town. I grew up always hearing about the crime & such that went on there. On very rare occasions I would go out on Haywood Rd for something specific but I would always get out of there as quickly as possible, not only because of the crime but because I was afraid that someone I know would see me out there & think I was up to no good or something of that nature.

I know the area has turned around & is now one of the most trendy & desirable places in Asheville & is nothing like it use to be even 5 years ago, but I just can not shake the feelings I have had about that area all my life. The only time I ever go out there is when I am with someone else & they take me out there, but to this day I have yet to ever eat or shop at any of the business on Haywood Rd other than Ingles & the gas station right off I-240

Old 02-11-2011, 01:55 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
Maggie Valley -- tacky.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:13 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Waynesville is great...sorry wrong opinion. Boone is so urban...

Old 02-11-2011, 05:14 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times
I don't know if I'd call Boone urban. It's way too small to support a school the size of App, and still very goobery.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:43 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
Wow, I had to actually think about this one. Guess that says something...
I'm not a fan of old fort or swannanoa because they have always felt really run down and depressed to me. And WNCBW is right too, I don't get the "oohh move to west asheville its so awesome" hype.
And for roads? I really hate 19e from burnsville to spruce pine. Its such an ugly road.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Murphy is my least favorite in WNC. Oh, and I agree with above poster, Old Fort is depressing. But I don't see a lot of interest in Old Fort so it would not have come to mind.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:39 PM

127 posts, read 476,348 times
Blowing Rock is a tacky tourist trap.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 PM

112 posts, read 317,299 times
I know I am alone on this, but I HATE the parkway, I HATE doing anything out on the national forests. Being a native to the mtns, when I go out of the parkway, to me it is nothing more than mountains & trees, mile after mile of mountains & trees. Every corner you come around guess what you see? More mountains & trees. I also hate taking the interstate because of that, nothing to look at but mountains & trees. If I wanted to see mountains & trees I could look out any window in my home.

I am quite sure I am the only one who feels that way. I can understand the appeal of it for those who did not grow up & spend their entire lives looking at it. But for me, the thrill is gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina