Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,945,336 times

Advertisements

Volvo in Biltmore Park is leaving town. They closed their Arden manufacturing plant last year. Now the rest is going.

Volvo to close Asheville sales headquarters | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 02:20 PM

679 posts, read 1,462,284 times
No big surprise there. That has been almost inevitable since they closed the plant. A big blow, especially when you consider it is a total of about 450 jobs lost with the company since last year.

Not to worry, though. Another call center will come into town, someone will schedule another festival and victory will be declared.

Last edited by The Mule; 03-15-2011 at 02:43 PM..

Old 03-15-2011, 03:12 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,429 times
Was laid off from Volvo last year. Had to move to Wyoming (actually home for me) to find gainfull employment.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
No big surprise there. That has been almost inevitable since they closed the plant. A big blow, especially when you consider it is a total of about 450 jobs lost with the company since last year.

Not to worry, though. Another call center will come into town, someone will schedule another festival and victory will be declared.
And don't overlook the fact the city is breaking ground for the outrageously expensive parking garage for the hotel that is yet to be built. The hotel will need maids, bus boys, bell hops, etc.............

Oh wait, the Grove Park laid off additional staff earlier this year because tourism isn't the savior city council keeps telling it is.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
Oh and don't forget that the same day this happened, good ol' Bev was in town promoting the poor paying tourism industry. Because you know, you can totally sustain an economy on those kinda jobs.

The only ones that are suffering are the "real" people in this situation. I really don't see how Asheville can continue to have a living breathing economy for much longer. About 75% of my friends have left due to lack of jobs and now another will really have to take a look at his situation due losing his job with volvo.

Then again, judging by the people that constantly want to move here on the citydata boards, maybe the cycle of people coming in and trying to make it for a few years before leaving is enough to keep everything just barley floating because those that leave are instantly replaced.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Keep in mind that the 220 are Volvo employees, which does not count the people that work for companies that contract their services to Volvo. I know 3 that have office/cubicles in the Volvo facility, but work for a different company.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:53 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
I can only hope that these mountain areas that are screwing themselves by orienting everything toward tourism will get the message sooner or later that tourism alone cannot sustain an economy anywhere. Two places that I love, WNC and Vermont, are both completely destroying themselves by pushing this entirely tourism based economy on themselves. Interestingly enough, both WNC and Vermont used to be agricultural economies. I just don't understand why they STILL don't understand that it IS NOT WORKING. It sucks because I am going to have to move out West - far away from my family and everything I have ever known - to build up experience in my field in order to one day find employment in Vermont, where I want to end up. I'm heading to Alaska because they've got jobs there (not to mention the climate is what I love too).

Old 03-16-2011, 02:19 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,429 times
WNC has been trending this way for the last 20 years. Guess they are getting their wish.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:11 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post

Too funny!
But seriously are there a lot of call centers in Asheville? Can you provide any names?
One question; if the quality of life is so wonderful in Asheville (and I am not doubting this), the temperature so moderate, the scenery so spectacular, then why don't more companies locate here?
You would think it would be a draw because there would be not only plenty of employees, but happy and content employees.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:19 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Too funny!
But seriously are there a lot of call centers in Asheville? Can you provide any names?
One question; if the quality of life is so wonderful in Asheville (and I am not doubting this), the temperature so moderate, the scenery so spectacular, then why don't more companies locate here?
You would think it would be a draw because there would be not only plenty of employees, but happy and content employees.
Because there are NO incentives for companies to want to come here when they can go across the boarder to SC and get tax breaks galore. The city of Asheville and the surrounding area's are extremely unfriendly to big business. Did you know BMW tried to come to Asheville, all they asked for were tax breaks during construction and nothing more. Asheville wouldn't do it so they picked greenville sc. Look at how well the whole area is doing now all because of BMW. It's all about money my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina