Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:17 PM

729 posts, read 1,504,848 times

Advertisements

Saucy, he's planning to go to school whether he has in state tuition or not. He wants to study environmental engeneering and it just so happens that UNCA has a very good program. He wants to move here regardless of school. It's just nice that he doesn't have to make a choice.

Maybe I should clarify my question. If someone moves here and enrolls in school, at what point are they considered a resident? Once someone has a DL registered here, their car registered here, they work here, pay utility bills here, at some point they are a resident and not just a student living off of mom and dad. I'm curious to know at what point that occurs. BTW- mom and dad want to move here too so before long there won't be another state to go home to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 06:20 PM

729 posts, read 1,504,848 times
Another thing to remember - I am sure there are MANY NC students that claim residency in other states to get in in-state tuition. It's not just kids coming here from out of state. I'm sure Florida has a lot of kids moving in with grandma to get cheaper tuition.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
I highly doubt that its "MANY" because every state requires strict rules for proving residency. Does it happen? Of course, but its not legal and if they find out you lied they will turn around and charge you the out of state tuition and possibly kick you out of school for academic dishonesty. States right on the application when you apply!

Had you read all of the my post you would have seen that it is a YEAR plus a day of living in the state before you say you are a resident for tuition purposes. This can be proven by any of the things francois suggested.

But it the parents are living in a different state and still claiming him as a dependent, then the parents have to be here a year and a day for in state tuition and or he has to be an independent a full year before being able to claim in state on his own.

FYI the enviormental engineering program is 2 years at UNCA and then 2 years at NC state so he has to live in Raleigh for the last two years.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 05-01-2011 at 07:21 PM..

Old 05-02-2011, 12:26 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,735 times
I don't know why one person or one school would be any different. Every state school is supposed to go by the same rules that are clearly posted on every state school's website. I know from going through this with my own son that the clock started ticking towards residency only after we (his parents) had signed a lease, had a job, started paying taxes, registered to vote and changed our tags. In other words, after we became legal citizens of the state of North Carolina. We really had to jump through hoops to get his in-state declared. This was all at App. State. Once we sent all the paperwork, we were in. You can't simply move in with an Aunt and Uncle or use Grandma's cabin address. It is also a little more complicated than just not claiming him on your taxes. Even filling out the FASFA they ask for your parent's info. You have to be independent. Moving here and claiming your independence from your parents it would still take a year and a day.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:04 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
For those of you who claim it is wrong to try and "beat the system" on the grounds that you are somehow screwing over the taxpayers of the state, I gotta say I don't see it. I mean, no matter where you came from, you paid state taxes to fund education, and I think it's completely ridiculous that there is such a huge difference with in-state and out-of-state tuition rates, especially at certain schools. UNCA is a relatively cheap school for out-of-state, but some of these places are RIDICULOUS. Look at University of Vermont, or CU Boulder, or Colorado State, or Montana State, or basically anywhere that is in a pretty place. Those places charge some $30k in tuition; if I wanted to pay that, I would have gone to a private school!

It's not any additional burden on the taxpayers of NC if someone from out of state gets granted in-state tuition. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, as a matter of fact. The taxes were still paid, and they still will be paid in the future. What does it matter? It's expensive enough as it is to get a college education, and nowadays a Bachelor's degree is worth barely more than a HS diploma, so screw em. It's way overpriced as it is, and in this economy, you can't blame anyone for trying to get a price break on something that is so necessary these days.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:10 PM

11 posts, read 18,691 times
I don't know why you think it is unfair for someone to move to NC and want to get the best cost of education possible. I live in SC and we have good tuition in a lot of schools here. I don't have a problem at all if someone wanted to come here and live a year, contribute to the economy, and then go to school at a cheaper rate.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:30 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie View Post
Hi,
My son is wanting to move from SC to NC with a friend who will be in the National Guard in NC. My son is finishing his freshman year here, and would want to continue college there. I have read the requirements for in-state tuition, and have some questions. He was planning to move this summer and go to a tech school this fall. then in fall of 2012 enroll in UNC Asheville. I have read that you will be denied in-state tuition if they see you have moved there just to go to school. Does that mean that when he goes to apply to UNC in 2012 that they will say that even though he has lived there 12 months, that because he started tech shortly after he moved that he cannot get in-state tuition? YES
Every time I read posts such as this, I get so irritated I get a rash. We can barely afford to educate our own residents without crippling them and/or their families financially.

As for determining residency:

Determination of Intent takes into consideration the following items which may be significant in determining “domiciliary intentâ€; however,
THE BELOW IS NOT A CHECKLIST. Not one element by itself guarantees or denies residency and these items are not comprehensive of
evidence that could be used in support of a case.

•Tax dependency
•Employment
•Voter registration and activity
•Jury duty
•Sources of financial support
•Car registration
•Driver's license
•Property ownership
•State income tax returns
•Time in and out of state
•Ties to community

Complete enough? Be sweet.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 AM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
One thing that worked for me, in South Carolina, was the fact that I had been living in Asheville but working in the Greenville-Spartanburg area for over a year. The state of South Carolina waived the one year requirement for my son since I had been working in the state for that long of a time. Once we moved to SC, and he started college, he immediately got the in-state rate.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:37 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishCream View Post
One thing that worked for me, in South Carolina, was the fact that I had been living in Asheville but working in the Greenville-Spartanburg area for over a year. The state of South Carolina waived the one year requirement for my son since I had been working in the state for that long of a time. Once we moved to SC, and he started college, he immediately got the in-state rate.
You were paying SC taxes from your income. Therefore its perfectly fine for your son to be granted sc tuition rates since you were paying into the system for him. Some of these people on here are clearly trying to lie to get instate tuition. For example, one is trying to say their nephew is living with them when he is from a different state to get the instate tuition.

~~~

Alright, I'm going to explain the how this works and why those of us who are NC tax payers are upset that out of staters don't get it and think they deserve the same treatment. This is only to those who move here FOR college solely. People move. Sometimes they move shortly before attending college. I get that, but there are numerous posts in the nc boards in the past few months about people wanting to know how to cheat the system.

According to the NC state budget, which is paid by oh thats right! taxes, 14% of it goes to public universities. Compare that to the CU system (because ship used it) which can have a max of 10% going to their system because they sought "enterprise status" several years ago. (https://www.cu.edu/sg/messages/3657.html) And florida, because someone mentioned them, according to their budget, and my math, a whopping 1.3% of their budget goes to the public college system. (Florida state budget - Sunshine Review)

I think those numbers speak for themselves. Of course other states are going to be more expensive because as nc residents, we/our parents have been paying for our educations in some cases, 18+ years. If all states allocated the same percentage of their taxes toward education, then by all means everyone should be treated equally and pay the same amount. But thats not how it works. Someone who pays less taxes in CO or FL for education, should have to pay more upfront for it. No one makes anyone go out of state for schooling either. Thats your choice, and you should have to pay accordingly.

So tell me why we, as NC residents, shouldn't get pissed at those who do want to cheat the system? We have paid a large portion of our taxes to ensure that higher education is accessible to NC residents. No one makes anyone select out of state colleges. If they choose to do so, then they need to pay for it. And yes, if someone does try to cheat the system, they are a burden to NC tax payers because we are paying for you to get a cheap education!!!!!

If you still think we are being tyrants, then by all means, please try and cheat the system. I hope to hell you or your kid gets caught and kicked out of college.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:54 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
For those of you who claim it is wrong to try and "beat the system" on the grounds that you are somehow screwing over the taxpayers of the state, I gotta say I don't see it. I mean, no matter where you came from, you paid state taxes to fund education, and I think it's completely ridiculous that there is such a huge difference with in-state and out-of-state tuition rates, especially at certain schools. UNCA is a relatively cheap school for out-of-state, but some of these places are RIDICULOUS. Look at University of Vermont, or CU Boulder, or Colorado State, or Montana State, or basically anywhere that is in a pretty place. Those places charge some $30k in tuition; if I wanted to pay that, I would have gone to a private school!

It's not any additional burden on the taxpayers of NC if someone from out of state gets granted in-state tuition. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, as a matter of fact. The taxes were still paid, and they still will be paid in the future. What does it matter? It's expensive enough as it is to get a college education, and nowadays a Bachelor's degree is worth barely more than a HS diploma, so screw em. It's way overpriced as it is, and in this economy, you can't blame anyone for trying to get a price break on something that is so necessary these days.
Are you serious??? First of all, any taxes paid to another state do not end up in NC, so that has nothing to do with how much NC should charge out of state students. Second, out of staters paying in-state rates are indeed an additional burden, and it makes a very big difference. In-state tuition rates don't cover the cost of providing the education--tax revenues (in large part) make up the difference. If we don't charge more for out of staters, who covers that difference? That's right, the taxpayers. Why should NC taxpayers pay for you to come to school here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina