Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:21 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73
Every time I read posts such as this, I get so irritated I get a rash. We can barely afford to educate our own residents without crippling them and/or their families financially.
And to the other poster above me, YES I'm serious. They are not going to raise your tax rates based on number of in-state students, and they have no way of figuring out who got residency legitimately and who didn't. You people are really getting up in arms over something that is outright silly, and it's frankly ridiculous. People FROM NORTH CAROLINA move to other states and do the same thing all the time. Quit acting like victims and get over it, your state determined your tax rate, and that's what you pay. I don't see why this is even being brought up. I will still go to AB-Tech and get my residency granted, regardless of what you say, and there is nothing wrong with it. Like I said, your state isn't special, people move from here and do the same thing. Plus, the number of people doing it is quite small, I would guess, and like I said before, it isn't going to change your taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer
If you still think we are being tyrants, then by all means, please try and cheat the system. I hope to hell you or your kid gets caught and kicked out of college.
You are a nicer person than this, and you need to take a step back and realize how silly this is. I have never seen you be so vindictive, why start now? I AM NOT a burden to the taxpayers, because the taxes have already been paid. Me getting in-state tuition status does not make your taxes go up, period. And my family paid our education taxes in our home state, and there are going to be people (likely some of them from, GASP, North Carolina) who are going to cheat OUR system too. I just don't think you can blame a person for wanting to pay less for something that shouldn't cost so damn much in the first place. So I guess we can just agree to disagree.

As far as "getting caught and kicked out of college", it ain't gonna happen. The person who would get in trouble would be the person who granted residency status to the student, not the student himself.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-04-2011 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Deleted rude comments -- please discuss the topic, not each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
And to the other poster above me, YES I'm serious. They are not going to raise your tax rates based on number of in-state students, and they have no way of figuring out who got residency legitimately and who didn't.
I'll try to make this simple for you. Most of the UNC system's revenue comes from taxes and tuition. If tuition is less than it should be (because of cheaters, or for any other reason), the difference comes from taxes. That means either my taxes will increase, or tax money will be diverted from other uses, or the universities will have to make cost cuts to cover it. You can argue that your one exception may not make a difference, and it probably wouldn't, but if everyone does it then there is a huge impact. Sorry, but I'm not willing to make an exception just for you.

You people are really getting up in arms over something that is outright silly, and it's frankly ridiculous. People FROM NORTH CAROLINA move to other states and do the same thing all the time. Quit acting like victims and get over it, your state determined your tax rate, and that's what you pay.
Tax rates are based on the government's expectations. If they expect tuition money from out of state but don't get it, the state will "re-determine" our tax rates upward to cover it. And about the "other states" argument, NC has some of the lowest in-state tuition rates in the country because more tax revenues are used to subsidize them. People coming here get a better deal than they might in other states, so there's extra incentive to move here.

I don't see why this is even being brought up. I will still go to AB-Tech and get my residency granted, regardless of what you say, and there is nothing wrong with it.
No, there's nothing wrong with it, as long as you follow the rules.

Like I said, your state isn't special, people move from here and do the same thing. Plus, the number of people doing it is quite small, I would guess, and like I said before, it isn't going to change your taxes.
See above.

As far as "getting caught and kicked out of college", it ain't gonna happen. The person who would get in trouble would be the person who granted residency status to the student, not the student himself.
No, you would be guilty because you provided false or misleading information.
Sorry, but I don't think you'll find much sympathy around here in your efforts to bend the rules.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:13 PM

729 posts, read 1,504,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
So tell me why we, as NC residents, shouldn't get pissed at those who do want to cheat the system? We have paid a large .
Well, lets see. I've paid taxes here for 19 years. My taxes helped pay for public education. I do not have kids. At this point I won't be having kids. So if my nephew moves here and goes to school, he can use my share of my tax payer contribution.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:05 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
^ Thank you. This is not that serious and not that difficult, people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc
Sorry, but I don't think you'll find much sympathy around here in your efforts to bend the rules.
Hehehehehe, sympathy sure as hell isn't what I'm looking for. There are plenty of other people, some of them FROM NC, who understand why what I'm doing and saying is not a big deal.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-09-2011 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Deleted rude comments

Old 05-10-2011, 08:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
Saucy, he's planning to go to school whether he has in state tuition or not. He wants to study environmental engeneering and it just so happens that UNCA has a very good program. He wants to move here regardless of school. It's just nice that he doesn't have to make a choice.

Maybe I should clarify my question. If someone moves here and enrolls in school, at what point are they considered a resident? Once someone has a DL registered here, their car registered here, they work here, pay utility bills here, at some point they are a resident and not just a student living off of mom and dad. I'm curious to know at what point that occurs. BTW- mom and dad want to move here too so before long there won't be another state to go home to.
Becoming a STATE resident is VERY different than STUDENT residency status. Many states have similar rules to NC. With these budget crunches every school in the country is facing, they are seriously stepping up proof of residency.

I moved to SC a year ago. I had to fill out a 4 page form. I needed to submit my license, registration, proof of residency, mortgage paperwork & deed, voter registration, proof of employment, and my 2010 taxes proving I paid SC taxes to get SC in-state tuition at USC. Doesn't matter that I built a house and have lived here for a year. And if SC changes their mind at ANY time about my status, I will be billed immediately for out of state tuition for ALL semesters I attended plus interest. If I don't pay it, they WILL sue me! Not a game I would be willing to play. SC is NOT the only state like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
Even filling out the FASFA they ask for your parent's info. You have to be independent. Moving here and claiming your independence from your parents it would still take a year and a day.
And if memory serves me correctly, you need to be 24, get married, or have a child to be considered independent. There's no fudging that either.

Quote:
For those of you who claim it is wrong to try and "beat the system" on the grounds that you are somehow screwing over the taxpayers of the state, I gotta say I don't see it. I mean, no matter where you came from, you paid state taxes to fund education, and I think it's completely ridiculous that there is such a huge difference with in-state and out-of-state tuition rates, especially at certain schools. Look at University of Vermont, or CU Boulder, or Colorado State, or Montana State, or basically anywhere that is in a pretty place.

It's not any additional burden on the taxpayers of NC if someone from out of state gets granted in-state tuition. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, as a matter of fact. The taxes were still paid, and they still will be paid in the future.
You didn't pay taxes to Vermont or Colorado. I know for a fact that all of the taxes in Vermont are a heck of a lot more than North Carolina! The taxpayers are paying the majority of the cost of tuition. By not paying taxes, you're stealing from the taxpayers.

If it was as you say one person, no it wouldn't be a big deal. But it's not just one person. It can be hundreds or even thousands of people trying the same thing. They did NOT pay into the system so why should they reap the benefits? Who says those kids who move into NC to go to college will ever pay a dime in NC taxes? There's no law that says they must stay in NC after graduation. If they don't have a job, then they aren't paying income taxes. They're not paying property taxes either since most live in dorms. Most don't change their vehicle tags so they're not paying the personal property taxes either. It all adds up. Where do you like NC gets the money for UNC? It certainly isn't growing on the trees in the mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
So tell me why we, as NC residents, shouldn't get pissed at those who do want to cheat the system? We have paid a large portion of our taxes to ensure that higher education is accessible to NC residents. No one makes anyone select out of state colleges. If they choose to do so, then they need to pay for it. And yes, if someone does try to cheat the system, they are a burden to NC tax payers because we are paying for you to get a cheap education!!!!!

If you still think we are being tyrants, then by all means, please try and cheat the system. I hope to hell you or your kid gets caught and kicked out of college.
I agree with you 100% and I don't live in NC. This is a HUGE problem across the country and it IS costing taxpayers $$$$. It's an interesting lesson parents are teaching their kids about criminal activity and scamming the system. It's NO different than welfare fraud!

Quote:

This is COMPLETE and utter fiction! You apparently did NOT read your application, your residency forms, or your financial aid packet. The rules for residency on all of them from every state school I have ever looked at! And if for some reason it's not, it IS in fact the STUDENT who is penalized not the employee. You LIED not the employee!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,925 times
Ignore Saucy... As a FIRST HAND STUDENT I know UNC Asheville charges too much money for out of staters, we all pay taxes for the schools in our states to be used by everyone in the country, because everyone deserves to have an education and should not be overcharged just because they want to travel to a different state for a different educational perspective. I think it's important to change settings and I, as a taxed employee and future property tax payer, don't care if out of staters use my tax money as long as it's furthering someone's education.

I have a friend who is about to get in state tuition, she acquired proof of residence for a year through her aunt an uncle, got a job on campus for a year (off campus would be fine too), changed her voter registration, and changed her drivers license. If you do this you'll probably obtain out of state tuition. good luck.

If she didn't do this she would not be able to get this education and I for one am glad she is learning here instead of at her local community college. I hope most others are as well, even if her parents haven't been paying taxes to NC.

For those of you who claim it's fraud -- it's all many people can do just to get a meager amount of money and go to college. I say the outrage should not be tax payments but the costs and debts students are faced with during and after their education, which doesn't guarantee any type of job these days. Gripe all you want but I know that my friends and I will try and take advantage of every money saving opportunity we can in order to keep afloat amidst the huge wave of costs we encounter. I appreciate your tax money and someday soon will contribute my own to whoever needs an education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina