Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 AM

67 posts, read 147,046 times

Advertisements

For about 4 years now, I've wanted to leave Michigan where I currently reside, and the timing for me is finally right. My house goes on the market in a couple of weeks, and after it sells, I will be relocating by myself to Western North Carolina.
I'm not afraid of change and starting over on my own. I need it, and I know it's the right decision for me.
My job allows me to work from home, so I will be keeping that and just doing a lateral move. The most important thing job wise, is I have to have high speed internet and good cell service with Verizon Wireless, where ever I relocate to.
I love the country and the mountains and small towns. I love gardening, but I want a town large enough that I can make a few friends and maybe go to a yoga class once or twice a week. I'm between 45-50 years of age, and active in the outdoors.
I've been doing research on what town for quite some time, and so many of them sound wonderful. (Black Mountain/Swannona, Brevard, Mars Hill, Maggie Valley, Waynesville, Weaverville to name a few) A lot will depend on what I can find to rent as far as a small house goes when the time comes and my house sells, but if you have any definite recommendations on places I should seriously consider, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:25 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
I like Black Mtn and Brevard the best out of the places you metioned!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:26 AM

13 posts, read 39,269 times
Default Turn out the lights?

How many times have you visited WNC and that areas you've mentioned? I would suggest you come down 1st and stay for a bit before such a big move. As for leaving Michigan, Don't forget to turn the lights out. I still have a place in Huron Twp near the airport but we are thinking of putting it on the market and never turning back. You will find many nice homes and or chalets for rent in WNC that are empty and can be rented for long term at good price because the tourist market still has not rebounded. Most areas here have great to good internet and phone service, (at least better than yrs ago) so I don't think that would be a issue. Come' on down and look around and get to know the area, see if this is what you really want, all this peace and quite may drive you crazy as you look at the blue sky's and beautiful mountains!

Old 06-01-2011, 06:59 AM

Default Turn out the lights?

I've not been to the areas I mentioned yet, but I have done a ton of reading on-line about all of Western North Carolina for about 2 years now, and I know myself, and know it's exactly what I'm looking for. Peace and quiet does not scare me...I welcome it in fact! Since I'll be renting for at least the first year anyway....if for some reason I decide it's not for me, I can move on.
And you are right, I've seen lots of homes for rent, which is great for my situation. It's good to know getting good internet service won't be an issue. I wasn't sure with the mountains and more remote small towns. My house goes on the market June 13th, and as soon as I get it sold, I plan to head that way at least to have a quick peek and secure a house to rent. That's why I'm trying to narrow down where I think I want to go.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 AM

5 posts, read 5,454 times
Have you considered Asheville? I'm not too familiar with it but I know it's got a lot for a small town, and it's a bit artsy (yoga etc would then follow)

I'd also recommend at least visiting Greenville, SC. Gorgeous!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Have you investigated the Boone/Blowing Rock Banner Elk areas?
Everything you're requesting is there in spades. Although you'd have more of a winter, you won't have as much humidity as the Asheville area. Lots of organic gardening, farmers markets, small charming towns, tons of culture, great health care, and lots of outdoor activities without all the traffic and congestion. Also lots of yoga classes and tons of artists, wineries, warm-friendly people. Boone and Banner Elk have colleges, but not as many bigger amenities (Whole Foods, airport) as the Asheville area.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:31 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
From experience, Verizon is spotty in some spots in brevard. better whip the cell out before you buy any house.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Have you investigated the Boone/Blowing Rock Banner Elk areas?
Everything you're requesting is there in spades. Although you'd have more of a winter, you won't have as much humidity as the Asheville area. Lots of organic gardening, farmers markets, small charming towns, tons of culture, great health care, and lots of outdoor activities without all the traffic and congestion. Also lots of yoga classes and tons of artists, wineries, warm-friendly people. Boone and Banner Elk have colleges, but not as many bigger amenities (Whole Foods, airport) as the Asheville area.
Yes, I have looked at these areas, and I agree they sound wonderful. I don't mind some winter weather. After all, I come from West Michigan where we can get 70 to 100 inches of snow each winter easily, so I'm used to it.
I want somewhere quaint, where people are friendly, beautiful scenery and a smaller town. Wineries a definite plus! I will have a closer look at these for sure. Thank you

Old 06-01-2011, 12:01 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Carolinablue,

Not sure I am allowed to give this link, so if the mods cut it, google: Carolina Mountain Life magazine. It is a lovely magazine that you can read all the back issues online for free, and it really gave me the sense of the 3 Bs area (Boone/Blowing Rock/Banner Elk)--and what living there would be like --- beautifully done magazine that would make anyone want to move to WNC!
You click on each issue, enlarge it, and easily turn the pages just like reading a real magazine.
CAROLINA MOUNTAIN LIFE MAGAZINE

Old 06-01-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Carolinablue,

Not sure I am allowed to give this link, so if the mods cut it, google: Carolina Mountain Life magazine. It is a lovely magazine that you can read all the back issues online for free, and it really gave me the sense of the 3 Bs area (Boone/Blowing Rock/Banner Elk)--and what living there would be like --- beautifully done magazine that would make anyone want to move to WNC!
You click on each issue, enlarge it, and easily turn the pages just like reading a real magazine.
CAROLINA MOUNTAIN LIFE MAGAZINE
Thank you so much! I will definitely check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina