Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,057 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to an area like Asheville. I love Asheville and its downtown, but cannot handle the winters. We are looking for a similar-type town, but not too big. Love the area around Morganton. We are looking for an area with a nice, active downtown and some shopping. Doesn't have to be major shopping. We don't have to worry about schools, kids grown & gone. Anyone in Western NC that has some ideas for areas, would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 01:46 PM

143 posts, read 368,833 times
It really depends on what it is that you're looking for... Though Morganton does have a nice downtown area and decent shopping, it is different from Asheville in a lot of ways. Asheville really is quite unique... What specifically do you like about Asheville that you are looking for in another area?

My husband and I moved to Western North Carolina about 5 years ago now and really love it here. We chose to move to McDowell County, which is between Buncombe County (Asheville) and Burke County (Morganton). We picked it mostly for its central location between these two counties, but also like the lower cost of housing. We are actually not all that far away from Morganton and make a point of going there as often as we can. I have found that it has a nice feel to it... The winters in McDowell and Burke Counties are somewhat milder than what you'll get in Buncombe County. Though we have seen some snow each winter... but, it doesn't last long. We're originally from Vermont, so it doesn't seem like much at all to us...

Old 06-02-2011, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,057 times
I love Asheville--go there as often as I can. We currently live over the mountain in TN, in the mountains. Need to get out of the mountains because the winters are real hard on my health. I loved Morganton because you are somewhat out of the mountain, but can still see them off at a distance. But I would love to find a town like Asheville but not in the mountains.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:34 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
If you can't handle the winters, WNC is really not an option for you because asheville is the only real city. Look into Greenville SC. I think its more of what you are looking for based off your short post.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:11 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
Dahlonega, Georgia - right at the very southern edge of the Appalachian mountains and a beautiful downtown - the prettiest I've seen in the area. Touristy, but a lot of retirees move there.

http://www.cityofdahlonega.com/ (broken link)

Dahlonega Convention & Visitors Bureau

The square at Christmas is a postcard: http://www.dahlonega.org/images/stor..._Christmas.jpg

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 06-03-2011 at 11:28 AM..

Old 06-04-2011, 11:56 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
If you can't handle the winters, WNC is really not an option for you because asheville is the only real city. Look into Greenville SC. I think its more of what you are looking for based off your short post.
I'll second that.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:14 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
I don't know about Greenville if someone is looking for a break from the heat and humidity, and desires mountains. To me Greenville is very hot and humid in summer with zero elevation.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:51 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I don't know about Greenville if someone is looking for a break from the heat and humidity, and desires mountains. To me Greenville is very hot and humid in summer with zero elevation.
The Op never said anything about either of them, and it seems they don't want any kind of snow/cold. So I really doubt thats a problem otherwise they would have said no heat and wouldn't have been looking at morganton. But there isn't a place that exists on this coast that has no winter and nice summers. its one or the other. And greenville isn't that hot. its not my preferred weather, but its typical southern weather. if you live anywhere other than the small southern Appalachian region its going to be hot.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:40 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
The OP said nothing about "a break from the heat and humidity" - in fact, they stated they "cannot handle the [Asheville] winters".

Now, regarding statements made about Greenville:

Greenville, SC sits at an elevation of 1,000 feet. Asheville's elevation is 2,100 feet. Just 30 minutes north of Greenville, in South Carolina, lies Caesar's Head State Park (SC) with an elevation of 3,200 feet. Yes, there are mountains in the Upstate of SC (with plenty of hiking and some of the most concentrated area of waterfalls in the country).

(At times, it's amazing how some in Western NC know so little about the Upstate even when we share the same television market. The world does not end at the NC state line.)

I recommend the OP concentrate their search efforts on the foothill locations in Western NC, Upstate SC, Northern GA, and far eastern TN. Please do not limited yourself just to Western NC.

For a specific city, I strongly suggest looking at Chattanooga - just as scenic as Asheville, with a much lower cost of living and milder winters. Chattanooga's revitalized downtown is amazing (and shares a similar revitalization timeline with Greenville, SC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina