Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 AM
pth

274 posts, read 458,638 times

Advertisements

Luckily, with these 3 choices..there isnt a bad one. If you're outdoorsy, you can flourish and fall in love with all of these choices!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 09:33 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
What does "gun loving" even mean? The "hee haws" have guns because they go deer hunting.

And isn't it funny how my neighbors are all armed to the teeth (hunters) and yet I've never lived in such a low crime area?
Yeah, no kidding; this is the uber-urban-liberal thread of the year. For chrissake people, have you just lived in sheltered urban lifestyles your whole lives and it's made you think that way? I am baffled that people who claim to be so tolerant and accepting of others can then turn around and call someone a "gun-loving hee haw". Some of us who have firearms actually use them, and just so you know, it's much more green to eat a deer or moose that you killed yourself than to eat anything bought in a store. Seriously, learn yourself a little something before you start saying ridiculous things like that.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:46 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
I don't know why someone would look down on eating meat that is from a healthier source with zero hormones and other junk in it. And local deer and turkey are ultra healthy. Not to mention that they got to live a decent life with freedom instead of being penned up.

I am a city person myself, but I don't understand what all this anti-gun stuff is all about. The "hee haws" don't idolize guns. They use them as tools. Also, if the "hee haw" is raising livestock, guns are used to protect them from things like coyotes, which are a real threat.

For goodness sake, we don't live in a concrete jungle in the mountains. We are closer to the natural world than someone living in a city. There is wildlife here and people hunt them the same as they have done since the world began. Would anyone call the Native Americans "arrow-loving hee haws"?

I'm sure Vermont has it's share of hunters too.

Last edited by Shooting Stars; 07-30-2011 at 01:03 AM..

Old 07-30-2011, 06:24 AM

252 posts, read 473,830 times
If you check statistics, Asheville is equal in violent crime with Los Angeles per capita. Its actually worse per capita in nonviolent crime. (Apparently this is due to a high number of car thefts.) I was surprised by this when I was researching the area prior to moving here 2 months ago.

Here's just one reference, but there are more:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I feel safe living here, but I'm a bit on the outskirts of AVL.

...My first day here, when I told a woman working at a grocery store that I'd just moved from Raleigh, she said "What? You moved -here- from Raleigh? Are you crazy?" After she nudging, she explained, "I grew up here, but lived for 20 years in Greenville, which I LOVED. I had to come back to Asheville for family reasons, but I can't stand it. All the people here are REDNECKS (is this any better/worse than saying Hee Haws?). Rednecks everywhere!"

I told her I had heard Asheville had many artistic, intellectual types. A young lady who had been listening chimed in, who by the way sported a nose ring, and said, "That's just downtown & they're all freaks."

The grocery employee said, "Yeah, freaks & rednecks, that's all Asheville has."

Great thing to hear on your first day!!! I haven't found the cool people of Asheville to be freaks at all. And everyone is very friendly. I'm starting to really really love it here. But the rednecks/hee haws do far outnumber the artistic & educated types...just my opinion so far.

**Also want to add that I don't think I'll ever get used to the sound of gunfire I hear so often. I'm an animal lover & don't understand the urge to kill for sport. But I do understand its cultural & will respect their right.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 04:25 AM.. Reason: wanted to add an observation

Old 07-30-2011, 08:35 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Movingover:

Thanks for great link and info, but SIGH, we are living in a high crime area now in NM (husband was beat up and robbed by 2 gang members while walking in "safe" neighborhood), and hoping to avoid that in our next move to WNC. Same environment here as Asheville and same crime stats exactly--very liberal, too tolerant, locals hate police, lots of hippies and drugs, excessive sanctuary city, it's so PC you can't even discuss the real problems so nothing ever gets addressed or dealt with. Drug gangs are having a field day here.

Good stats on Black Mountain though using that link---it is way below national average for both violent and nonviolent crimes. Are the police more aggressive in BM and citizens less tolerant of high crime or is it just that the Asheville crime stays localized??

Does anyone know if Asheville citizens are petitioning/organizing to DO anything about the high crime??

Old 07-30-2011, 08:54 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Shipoffools and Shooting Stars--good posts-- I repped you both.

We are Independents, but often end up living in liberal communities because they drink better coffee, better beer (my husband), access to healthier foods and most importantly they are usually located where there is access to great outdoor activities. BUT we have been always dismayed as Ship of Fools stated at how INTOLERANT and bigoted liberals are against any idea or person that differs from their own.

I have always lived in mountain communities and know for a fact that hunters, especially bird/waterfoul hunters, have done more to restore and maintain healthy wildlife habitat than all the enviros combined. I love wildlife and am not a hunter, but my hunter friends and neighbors over the years, with only a few exceptions, have all beenl extremely conscious and knowledgable about protecting wildlife. And they eat what they kill---better than those inhumane factory farms in my book.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:09 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars
I'm sure Vermont has it's share of hunters too.
Yep. Vermont likely has MORE hunters than WNC. Northern New England is prime country for hunting moose, especially. In New Hampshire, bordering Vermont to the east, you'll see people skinning/gutting/dressing their kills in their front yards, and OPEN carry is the rule, NOT concealed. You're not gonna find your liberal utopia up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOver2
Also want to add that I don't think I'll ever get used to the sound of gunfire I hear so often. I'm an animal lover & don't understand the urge to kill for sport. But I do understand its cultural & will respect their right.
I think you'll get used to the gunfire. I understand where you're coming from about killing for sport; most of the time, I think it's wasteful and disgusting, at least the way a lot of people practice it. You should use ALL the meat on the animal, or give it to someone who will. In Alaska, for example, when you kill a moose with a big set of antlers, they make you crack the skull plate so that it won't be worth anything as a trophy. HOWEVER, a lot of the gunfire you're hearing might not be killing anything. If you live rural, there are some places where people just go target shooting in spare time. I am one of those people.

Most of all, I highly respect you for deciding to respect the rights of people who want to hunt. We may not agree with it, but live and let live, eh?

Old 07-30-2011, 03:05 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Just butting in, and I don't live 'in Asheville', but I simply don't see/am aware of much serious crime in A'ville or Western NC. And, as beaten to a pulp the issue of 'crime stats' that float around on the net is, I would not reject A'ville or, western NC, based on some set of datum.

'Crime' and punqueazz thugs are literally everywhere, in the US...the 'rural' areas seem to be meth/prescription painkiller drug addiction, but I simply don't consider western NC to be a 'high crime' area. Just my 50Cts.
GL, mD

Old 07-30-2011, 05:53 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Shipoffools and Shooting Stars--good posts-- I repped you both.
We are Independents, but often end up living in liberal communities because they drink better coffee, better beer (my husband), access to healthier foods and most importantly they are usually located where there is access to great outdoor activities. BUT we have been always dismayed as Ship of Fools stated at how INTOLERANT and bigoted liberals are against any idea or person that differs from their own.
I have always lived in mountain communities and know for a fact that hunters, especially bird/waterfoul hunters, have done more to restore and maintain healthy wildlife habitat than all the enviros combined. I love wildlife and am not a hunter, but my hunter friends and neighbors over the years, with only a few exceptions, have all beenl extremely conscious and knowledgable about protecting wildlife. And they eat what they kill---better than those inhumane factory farms in my book.
I could not have stated it better. I trend towards "liberal communities" as well for the very same reasons; good coffe, brew, healthy lifestyle, scenery! And your statement about many liberals being tolerant except for anyone with different ideas than their own is spot on.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:43 AM

252 posts, read 473,830 times
That's great y'all are labeling an entire group of people that you don't know as intolerant & bigoted???

Says more about you, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina