Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 02:32 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 404,414 times

Advertisements

I would like to keep this forum alive, so lets compare and discuss 3 amazing mountain towns:

Boulder, CO
Asheville, NC
Burlington, VT

I have only been to Burlington and would like to hear more about Boulder and Asheville and would also be curious how they compare to Burlington. In terms of my tastes...

This is a rough draft of kind of what I'm looking for:

Progressive, liberal, artsy, walkable, educated, racially diverse, natural beauty,

Where: Sense of community, kayaking, camping, thrift shops, charm, health food stores, politics, activism, bookstores, libraries, health: good air & water quality, low-crime, cool summers, little sun exposure

you'll find a similar love for nature, beautiful surroundings, and progressive attitude in both towns.

Quaint, Trains, steeples, churches, historical, progressive, health conscious, organic, culture, racially diverse, arts, community, activism, creeks, ponds, lakes, trails, kayaking, camping, musical concerts, arts/theater, cabins, horseback riding,

Thanks!

-Em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2bforgot10 View Post
I would like to keep this forum alive, so lets compare and discuss 3 amazing mountain towns:

Boulder, CO
Asheville, NC
Burlington, VT

I have only been to Burlington and would like to hear more about Boulder and Asheville and would also be curious how they compare to Burlington. In terms of my tastes...

This is a rough draft of kind of what I'm looking for:

Progressive, liberal, artsy, walkable, educated, racially diverse, natural beauty,

Where: Sense of community, kayaking, camping, thrift shops, charm, health food stores, politics, activism, bookstores, libraries, health: good air & water quality, low-crime, cool summers, little sun exposure

you'll find a similar love for nature, beautiful surroundings, and progressive attitude in both towns.

Quaint, Trains, steeples, churches, historical, progressive, health conscious, organic, culture, racially diverse, arts, community, activism, creeks, ponds, lakes, trails, kayaking, camping, musical concerts, arts/theater, cabins, horseback riding,

Thanks!

-Em
All in all you pretty much describe Boulder. All three cities share the criteria you seek in some form until you reach racial diversity. Boulder wins in that department due to the presence of a large nationally known university (University of Colorado). You mention little sun exposure which I'm not of sure of the meaning other than cloudy conditions are desired..?? If so Burlington would be your place as Boulder is quite sunny and Asheville somewhere in between. Overall Boulder in my opinion has a more diluted sense of what you're after in terms of criteria.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:05 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times
Unfortunately, I can't help you with Burlington; but, I've visited Boulder and live just south of Asheville. I visit Asheville quite often (and even considered a job there).

You have an extremely long list of tastes/requirements for your ideal location. In fact, I don't know of any town/city in the Southeast that fulfills all of your mandates/requirements.

Yes, the city of Asheville is quite liberal. Please note that areas just outside of Asheville are conservative. "Walkable" areas are very limited in Asheville.

You desire cool summers with little sun exposure. Asheville has hit the low 90's for highs several times over the past few weeks. Asheville does not have "cool summers". Perhaps Highlands, NC - but it's extremely pricey. Boulder receives significant sun exposure in the summer and does get quite warm. Also, any sort of water activity is extremely limited in Colorado.

I encourage you to look at any mountainous college town/city (of course, college towns tend to be much more liberal). Take a look at Boone/Blowing Rock, NC - cooler than Asheville - home to Appalachian State University. I also encourage you to look at the pacific northwest - I understand Seattle/Portland have had a cool summer.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,638 times
I've been to all three, Asheville most recently. I really like them all. Although the Rockies are stunning, Burlington probably has the most beautiful setting--on the edge of Lake Champlain, the Adirondacks beyond, and the Green Mountain backdrop on the other side. Asheville's people definitely seem to have the most upbeat vibe. Burlington seems overrun with stoners, and from last visit to Boulder, it seems to have gone "fabulous" -- with more of a snooty, LA-like attitude. I fear it's on the road to becoming a version of Santa Fe. Also, Asheville feels the most like a city of the three. Burlington just feels like a big college town, as does Boulder.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
All in all you pretty much describe Boulder. All three cities share the criteria you seek in some form until you reach racial diversity. Boulder wins in that department due to the presence of a large nationally known university (University of Colorado). You mention little sun exposure which I'm not of sure of the meaning other than cloudy conditions are desired..?? If so Burlington would be your place as Boulder is quite sunny and Asheville somewhere in between. Overall Boulder in my opinion has a more diluted sense of what you're after in terms of criteria.
Not sure why in the world I used the term diluted.. I meant to say Boulder has a better fit overall in terms of your criteria.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:16 PM

11 posts, read 22,397 times
funny, cause I and my family, are looking into moving from asheville to Boulder. I have one very important thing to say about Asheville: IT IS BLOoDY HUMID!! unless you have spent time in a state/country with humidity for at least a week, i would definitely come spend a week here in the hottest months which are august and september. The thermostat can say 79, but when it's humid(as it usaully is every damn summer day,) if you dislike humidity, wil find that anything in the high 70's will aggitate you. I am PMSing 24/7 when it's summertime. i get dizzy after gardening for 10 minutes. thre isn't decent , nearby escape to water either. Lake powattan is dirty(babies used to get bad diaper rashes from the water) and the other 2 lake options(45+ minutes away) now charge you 5-8 $ for visiting a sectioned off sliver of the lake and forbid you to go in if htey here thunder miles away. you can enjoy the rivers and waterfalls, but you are looking at a 45-70 minute drive again, for decent wading. the water is freezing as well.

it is liberal in Asehville, but you are still in the south and you can really feel it just a few minutes away from downtown. you do have your gun loving hee haws out here. but it is a great town for music and outdoor activities!!! most people move here and love it. i just am intolerant to humidity and ALLERGIES are insane out here as well. you may never get them, or it may be so bad(like me) that you have to take days off work.

what do you like about boulder?
Izabella

Old 07-28-2011, 02:39 PM
pth

274 posts, read 459,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellalove3 View Post
funny, cause I and my family, are looking into moving from asheville to Boulder. I have one very important thing to say about Asheville: IT IS BLOoDY HUMID!! unless you have spent time in a state/country with humidity for at least a week, i would definitely come spend a week here in the hottest months which are august and september. The thermostat can say 79, but when it's humid(as it usaully is every damn summer day,) if you dislike humidity, wil find that anything in the high 70's will aggitate you. I am PMSing 24/7 when it's summertime. i get dizzy after gardening for 10 minutes. thre isn't decent , nearby escape to water either. Lake powattan is dirty(babies used to get bad diaper rashes from the water) and the other 2 lake options(45+ minutes away) now charge you 5-8 $ for visiting a sectioned off sliver of the lake and forbid you to go in if htey here thunder miles away. you can enjoy the rivers and waterfalls, but you are looking at a 45-70 minute drive again, for decent wading. the water is freezing as well.

it is liberal in Asehville, but you are still in the south and you can really feel it just a few minutes away from downtown. you do have your gun loving hee haws out here. but it is a great town for music and outdoor activities!!! most people move here and love it. i just am intolerant to humidity and ALLERGIES are insane out here as well. you may never get them, or it may be so bad(like me) that you have to take days off work.

what do you like about boulder?
Izabella
when i lived in burlington i always told my friends... "Heat is to burlington what A/C is to asheville."

In the winter in burlington you HAVE to use the heat...and in the summer in Asheville you HAVE to use the AC.

We didnt use AC in vermont

Old 07-28-2011, 03:07 PM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Bellalove,
I am concerned with your humidity report, as we are considering moving to Asheville area from the Southwest and am worried about the allergies and humidity as we are outdoors people.

RE: Boulder----Be prepared for exorbitant housing prices--much more than Asheville. Also, we crossed off Boulder because of the severe wind problems and the terrible smog that blows in from Denver. There are days you can't even see the surrounding hills from the thick smog.

Although it is an outdoor paradise area, they often have very destructive hurricane-type winds. Peoples car doors blow off. This is true in much of the Front Range, but Boulder gets it the worst. Also, are you used to severe dryness---the very opposite of Asheville's humidity? Over the years, the dryness in CO and NM has caused havoc with my sinuses and eyes--not to mention skin and hair. Gardening is really hard due to the horrible wind and water shortages (some CO counties won't even let you put in a garden--not sure about Boulder county, but know water is very expensive there). But Boulder is very similar to Asheville in culture, and close enough to Denver and DIA to use it often. Not to pop your bubble, Boulder has some wonderful qualities, but just to let you know it's not perfect either.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:11 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellalove3 View Post
it is liberal in Asehville, but you are still in the south and you can really feel it just a few minutes away from downtown. you do have your gun loving hee haws out here.
What does "gun loving" even mean? The "hee haws" have guns because they go deer hunting.

And isn't it funny how my neighbors are all armed to the teeth (hunters) and yet I've never lived in such a low crime area?

Old 07-28-2011, 03:53 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
SS agree

calling other people names like "hee haw" doesn't seem neighborly to me either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina