Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:09 AM

252 posts, read 474,160 times

Advertisements

"I don't think anyone is blaming you that the sound of gunfire makes you nervous since you've never been around it. I know you don't think you'll ever get used to it, but you probably will ... eventually. I wasn't used to it either, but after 10 years here, I am."

Thanks! And yes, I know some people hunt for reasons other than sport, but all the ones I've known personally do it primarily for the thrill of the hunt. But I also don't like seeing dead deer on the side of the road. In Wake County(Raleigh) for example, the average is 1200 deer killed by auto per year....because they don't hunt so much there. If the hunters are good shots, I suppose its more humane to the deer & less dangerous to us if they're killed by guns. But it doesn't mean I can understand how people can kill a living thing or like the sound of it happening. :-) And it also doesn't define my political leanings, just more on how I was raised. It certainly isn't going to determine if I stay in the area or not. I LOVE living here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 10:50 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOver2 View Post
Thanks! And yes, I know some people hunt for reasons other than sport, but all the ones I've known personally do it primarily for the thrill of the hunt. But I also don't like seeing dead deer on the side of the road. In Wake County(Raleigh) for example, the average is 1200 deer killed by auto per year....because they don't hunt so much there. If the hunters are good shots, I suppose its more humane to the deer & less dangerous to us if they're killed by guns. But it doesn't mean I can understand how people can kill a living thing or like the sound of it happening.
Well, let's look at me for example.

I have been involved in animal rescue and am concerned about animal suffering. I would HATE to kill a deer. I also believe the way humans treat animals says everything about our intelligence and empathy. Simple observation of animals shows us that they have social relationships with each other and feelings. People who don't care about animals are not very evolved in my opinion.

My problem is that I feel physically ill if I don't eat meat. Some people can be vegetarians, but we are not all the same genetically.

Do I wish I didn't have to eat meat? Yes!

Since that's not the case, I have to go to the next best thing, which is to have the animal suffer as little as possible. I think killing should be as quick and painless as we can make it.

A deer killed by a car is more nightmarish to me that having it killed by a hunter, because a death by car might be prolonged. My understanding is that when deer are not hunted, they overpopulate and more of them die from cars.

Animals in commercial meat production often live terrible lives. Any time I purchase meat at the grocery store from a source that doesn't care about the animal, confines them to tiny cages, separates mothers from calves, and shoots them up with antibiotics, and far worse, I have contributed to their misery! Eating meat that was hunted helps to diminish that. At least the deer gets to have a real life before it dies.

You feelings are my feelings. I don't relish the thought of killing anything; not even a tiny fish. I like what the Native Americans used to do when they hunted. They gave thanks to the animals' spirit for providing them food and they never killed anything they didn't eat. They RESPECTED the animal.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 PM

23 posts, read 42,748 times
Default moving from Southwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Bellalove,
I am concerned with your humidity report, as we are considering moving to Asheville area from the Southwest and am worried about the allergies and humidity as we are outdoors people.

Over the years, the dryness in CO and NM has caused havoc with my sinuses and eyes--not to mention skin and hair. Gardening is really hard due to the horrible wind and water shortages .
Hi MountainRose,

I am also living in NM, looking into relocating to WNC in a couple of years. I've lived in the Manzano Mts. south of Tijeras for the last 22 years (and a total of 32 yrs on NM). I am so tired of dry, itchy skin, and for all the "sunshine" here I can't grow my own vegetables due to a short growing season in the mountains and water shortages.

I consider myself an independent politically and in some instances libertarian. Right now after this "debt debaucle (sp?)" I am really fed up with the "status quo" Dems and Reps.

I'll be interested in following your "relocation." I hope you find a great new place to call home. I'm just starting my process by having a yard sale in a couple of weeks to help me "downsize" my possessions. Then I'll start the painting and some minor updating, hoping to sell in Spring 2013.

Another Mountain Rose

Old 08-11-2011, 08:45 PM

23 posts, read 42,748 times
Quote:

we are living in a high crime area now in NM (husband was beat up and robbed by 2 gang members while walking in "safe" neighborhood),
So sorry to hear about your husband. I hate the gang influence/violence in this beautiful state. I can't leave here soon enough

Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 PM

11 posts, read 22,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
SS agree

calling other people names like "hee haw" doesn't seem neighborly to me either.
sorry! i wasn't trying to say you are an uneducated redneck just because you own a gun or support gun-ownership rights........but out here in the south, some generations just haven't changed. Some people act like we are still fighting the so called Cival War and they don't give a hoot about what kind of gun laws there are as long as they are not interfering with being able to do what they want and when they want with it. that, in a nut shell, is what i mean by a hee-haw. sure, it wasn't nice.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:59 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
K9,
Sorry I never saw your post/response, so I PMed you with relocation details.
Good luck on your move also!

Old 09-20-2011, 06:52 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I have been involved in animal rescue and am concerned about animal suffering. I would HATE to kill a deer. I also believe the way humans treat animals says everything about our intelligence and empathy. Simple observation of animals shows us that they have social relationships with each other and feelings. People who don't care about animals are not very evolved in my opinion.
that's how I feel, too. I hate posted pictures of hunters, one foot proudly put on a dead deers body. or the famous one of S. Palin, right after killing a moose just for fun.
I also cut back on meat a lot and it's amazing, how delicious vegetarian meals can taste. but every now and then I'll have a steak or some chicken breast (but never without feeling guilty ....)

back in Delaware, when we had a pool, I was so busy rescuing all the bugs and butterflies from the water, I really had to do that before I could enjoy swimming.
hunting as a hobby isn't it for me at all. guns seem to be a bigger deal here in WNC (not surprising) and I am just glad, we did not build a home next to a shooting range - we were very close to that and I would hate listening to that shooting all weekend long.

last week I was up very early due a road trip and on a gas station there was this pick up with a dead deer in the back, head hanging down and it's look really made me cry

This went off topic, sorry about that.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Queen,

I really agree that the Palin show-off hunters and those that leave dead kills in their trucks uncovered for children and others to see all the gore and trophy antlers are not being very responsible or sensitive. But having lived much of my life in various mountain towns, I think "most" hunters are being more responsible by stalking, killing, cleaning, and storing their own meat than people who blindly support big-Ag animal farming and the shockingly inhumane practices it perpetuates.

In college, I was training to be a large-animal veterinarian (equine), but became so horrified at the cruel animal farming practices of big-Ag that I couldn't continue and had to change my major. I was so disturbed at what these animals go thru just so we can have a burger or a BBQ chicken wing that I tried for 4 years to be a total vegetarian. My health really suffered as I am one who needs higher protein than soy and combining grains and legumes, but it made me forever conscious of paying extra bucks to make sure that the meat I eat comes from ethical farm practices or from friends who hunt responsibly.

Yes, there certainly are some bad apples, but most of the hunters I've known have been activists in keeping wildlife habitats healthy and conserved. They teach safe gun and hunting practices. And they know how to instantly kill their prey accurately with much less suffering than animals endure in a feed lot. Because natural predators are often out of balance, if herds are not thinned out by hunters, animals will die in a cruel way thru starvation or disease.
Here's to ethical farm and hunting practices!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:08 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
Quote:
In comparing these 3 areas, another thing that WNC has going for it is it has access to more things to do and see. There are nice beach communities that are warm in the winter which neither Boulder or Vermont have. Also, there seems to be generally easier access for more things to do in WNC---can drive or take train to Washington DC, beaches, historical towns in other states, NYC museums, etc, etc.
Hey Mt Rose (love your user name),
Ummmmmm, it's four hours to the beaches from Asheville and it's a couple hours to get to Amtrak from Asheville. We do have an airport, tho. And we sometimes weekend in Charleston SC for the beaches and historic downtown.
GG

Everybody else,
As for how this thread is going, I do not like negative generalizations about folks in diff locales, nor do I care for efforts that polarize people. I just get so frustrated when posters get all worked up over a lot of hooey. The kindest thing people can do for each other and can do to honor this gift of life, is strive to become one loving spirit. However, if someone is terrorizing the innocent, I will usually speak up. I am a flaming liberal and a Democrat, and I like Asheville because it is a friendly mix of every kind of people, it's fun, and it's mighty purty here. I just wish we still had Cafe on the Square, where Robert Redford had his own "chair." Smile.
GG

Old 09-20-2011, 11:06 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:
But having lived much of my life in various mountain towns, I think "most" hunters are being more responsible by stalking, killing, cleaning, and storing their own meat than people who blindly support big-Ag animal farming and the shockingly inhumane practices it perpetuates.

In college, I was training to be a large-animal veterinarian (equine), but became so horrified at the cruel animal farming practices of big-Ag that I couldn't continue and had to change my major. I was so disturbed at what these animals go thru just so we can have a burger or a BBQ chicken wing that I tried for 4 years to be a total vegetarian. My health really suffered as I am one who needs higher protein than soy and combining grains and legumes, but it made me forever conscious of paying extra bucks to make sure that the meat I eat comes from ethical farm practices or from friends who hunt responsibly.

Yes, there certainly are some bad apples, but most of the hunters I've known have been activists in keeping wildlife habitats healthy and conserved. They teach safe gun and hunting practices. And they know how to instantly kill their prey accurately with much less suffering than animals endure in a feed lot. Because natural predators are often out of balance, if herds are not thinned out by hunters, animals will die in a cruel way thru starvation or disease.

Here's to ethical farm and hunting practices!
Fantastic post. Been reading a book about blood types and diet which explains that not everyone can be healthy as a vegetarian. I'm one of them for sure. According to the author, only blood types A or AB can be vegetarians and remain healthy. I wish it were otherwise, but it's not.

I do the same as you as much as I can. I only buy "humane certified" eggs and try to buy meat that is free-range and hormone/antibiotic free. It costs more, but not as much as hurting my conscience.

Too many people don't know what goes on with the big meat producers. Hunting is a thousand times more humane than what happens in feed lots. I can't even stand to think about it too much.

One of the reasons I'd prefer to be closer to Asheville is that there is far more local and humanely-raised eggs and meat available there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina