Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:19 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Many people come of these boards saying "only the lazy people can't find jobs in WNC"
Have NEVER read this on this forum ! and I can only hope you are not relating to our last unpleasant discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 12:41 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
I got my start out of UNC-A in Greenville and like it very much. It was not my preference and I would never have left home if I could have stayed and the same could be said by many. You got to go to the job.

My son is in Wingate, near Charlotte and he has made a nice life for his little family and they take day trips to WNC all the time. My sister is in Knoxville. Cousins and classmates in Raleigh.

Just saying, there are nice places where you can do fine have good communities, and still be close to WNC.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 PM

172 posts, read 477,232 times
Quote:
Honestly, with only someone with experience in construction, I'd say its not even worth looking at WNC.
THIS

Working With Many People who USED to be in Construction, As well As going to school with Many People who USED to be in Construction...

Old 08-14-2011, 04:31 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
And Brevard is full of nothing but retirees and transplants. I was addressing the fact that as an outsider the OP would have a very hard time finding work because once outside a city, aka asheville, people in the mountains don't look for anyone new to hire. They already have their network and dont need to find someone else. Being a handy man is much different than being a receptionist. Most people want references these days if they do decide to hire you. So to not have any references in the area will make it extremely difficult too.

I also think its really stupid to tell someone to "go for it" and come down in this economy when they have a large family to support. Especially coming from someone who hasn't done the same yet because of jobs.
Lol! And what do you have against "retires and transplants. " But actually there are many other groups of people besides the two you have named. Students and families who have lived there for generations just to start. Breavard is a lovely town with lots to offer BTW.

And I've noticed that you think a lot of things are "really stupid" in your postings so I don't take offense.
I can understand why you would hesitate to tell someone to "go for it" after what you described happened to your family. But if people plan and use good judgement it doesn't always have to end badly. I think optimism tempered with good judgement is the way to go.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:00 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
New home construction is dead...basically EVERYWHERE.

And it won't be coming back like it was before.

That said,if you can get by on less money,the quality of life is better here.
I personally wouldn't choose to live in the city or major towns.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:29 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
New home construction is dead...basically EVERYWHERE.

And it won't be coming back like it was before.

That said,if you can get by on less money,the quality of life is better here.
I personally wouldn't choose to live in the city or major towns.
Well said! I would think the draw to a place where quality of life is higher is even more important now.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:27 PM

204 posts, read 422,505 times
I have to agree...it is soooo beautiful that we could make a go of it. The only construction I see is near and around Charlotte..maybe if we were within commuting distance of Charlotte..I am looking to working on-line and again my husband can do alot of diff. things so...I am confident he would find something to get us bye.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
People have suggested Greenville, Charlotte and a few other places. None of them are far from WNC. You can be in the mountains in about an hour from many of them. Definitely look around. I was dead set on moving to Mooresville, NC. Where did I end up? Aiken, SC. You know what they have in common? The both have Carolina in their name and NOTHING else. Sometimes, you have look outside of your dream location to be able to live. If you did move to the mountains and were living paycheck to paycheck or robbing from Peter to pay Paul, then you'd be struggling. Save yourself the aggravation and find a place where you could live affordably and have a little left over each week. Save up for a nice vacation where you rent a gorgeous cabin in the mountains. You'll REALLY treasure your time there then!

Good luck in your search.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:28 PM

thank you ss20ts..I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck...right now we have NO check!! and it is causes alot of stress. I am going to do alot of research on these areas..Charlotte seem to be the best to find employment, but I think Greenville is interesting also. THanks again.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:32 PM

one more thing...Up near blowing rock, it would seem would have work all year round, withthe tourist in the summer/fall and spring, and then the sking (sp) in the winter?? Yes or no? Is it a four season place...and retirees are good too because they always need work done on their homes etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina