Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 06:10 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times

Advertisements

Recently, I have been hearing bad reports on Mission Hospital and wondered if there are health care workers, especially nurses, who could verify these--and/or give their own report. This is what I have been hearing just in the last few months:

*There is a thread on the NC Coastal forum where a nurse in Asheville says she is very troubled by the bad health care she sees at Mission---as a nurse it is the worst place she has worked with all the mistakes and bad care she sees in post-op.

*Another post I read a while back was from a nurse who said she has never seen so much MRSA infection rates in a hospital before.

*Then I was at a party recently and another nurse said she moved here to work at Mission because it got good ratings, and she has no idea how it gets good ratings or what they could be basing it on as she thinks the hospital in very negligent and would NEVER have her family go there for an emergency.

*A few weeks ago I had to go to the ER and the oncall doctor told me to go to another hospital South of town and try to avoid Mission at all costs I didn't believe him and went to Mission anyway and had to wait 8 hours to see a doctor!! And the woman sitting next to me had open wounds and was being treated for MRSA infection and was touching everything, including holding her infant baby.

I don't know how regular hospitals operate, and hope these are just a few isolated incidents, but would like to hear from others with experience at Mission.
And does anyone recommend another hospital---I was too sick to remember the hospital south of town that the oncall recommended.
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:12 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
I'm not a health care worker but myfamily and I have had pretty bad experiences there too. My uncle ended up going to wake forest 2 hours away for cancer treatment as mission was incompetent. The dr he was working with literally told him hes going to die and just give up. Not to mention the billing department is a nightmare to deal with. It took me 3! years to get a bill sorted out that my insurance had already paid but they claimed they didn't. Their employees went so far as to hang up on my insurance agent and me. It took threatening a law suit and sending the NC commissioner after them to get them to remove collections from my credit report.

So unfortunately I have to say I'm not surprised and like the Dr told you...avoid mission at all costs in an emergency or asked to be transferred right away. I do believe mission has too much power in WNC and no one to keep them in check.

Oh and if its just a minor emergency check out an urgent care. I had a great experience at sisters of mercy in west asheville.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 09-12-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 09-12-2012, 11:00 AM

203 posts, read 371,556 times
Default Hospital south of Asheville, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Recently, I have been hearing bad reports on Mission Hospital and wondered if there are health care workers, especially nurses, who could verify these--and/or give their own report. This is what I have been hearing just in the last few months:

*There is a thread on the NC Coastal forum where a nurse in Asheville says she is very troubled by the bad health care she sees at Mission---as a nurse it is the worst place she has worked with all the mistakes and bad care she sees in post-op.
mend another hospital---I was too sick to remember the hospital south of town that the oncall recommended.
Thanks!

The hospital south of Asheville, NC may have been Park Ridge Hospital in Fletcher, NC or Pardee Hospital in Hendersonville, NC.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:15 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
I've heard that Mission has a reputation as a heart hospital, but not as a cancer hospital.

The scary thing is that Mission is a big reason Asheville is touted as a good place to retire.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:58 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I've heard that Mission has a reputation as a heart hospital, but not as a cancer hospital.

The scary thing is that Mission is a big reason Asheville is touted as a good place to retire.
Yea I did hear one person rave about mission but they were there because of a heart attack. So I'm guessing that's true. My biggest complaint about my actual care was that they treated me like a drug seeker and didn't bother really trying to help me. The doctor never even laid a hand on me to examine me. When I as younger and it was still 2 hospitals I didn't feel like st. Josephs was as bad but then again I was only there for stitches

Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Yea I did hear one person rave about mission but they were there because of a heart attack. So I'm guessing that's true.
The person who told me that is doing a residency as a pharmacist at a hospital in Gainesville, GA. She has put in an application with several hospitals in the region, including Mission.

She said Mission was known for heart treatment, and Wake Forest was known for cancer treatment.

I suppose that might be good news for me if I move, because heart disease runs in my family, but cancer does not. (knocks on wood.)

Old 09-19-2012, 06:38 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louise50 View Post
The hospital south of Asheville, NC may have been Park Ridge Hospital in Fletcher, NC or Pardee Hospital in Hendersonville, NC.
Yes, it was Park Ridge he said to go to. Has anyone had experience with Park Ridge---is it equipted to handle most emergencies?

Thanks for all your feedback---and Saucy, I am sorry about your uncle--sounds like a nightmare---glad it worked out okay in the end.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:34 PM

107 posts, read 249,483 times
I work at Park Ridge and Pardee. They all have ups and downs. If I was going for something insignificant or to have a baby, I would choose Park Ridge. The are part of Florida Hospital and the Adventist system. I like their doctors more than Pardees (although a few work for both) and they have a better nursing staff. It is the smallest of the hospitals though and some doctors will only allow their patients to have a vegetarian diet because of the SDA beliefs. Many patients don't know this and don't come back because of it. Some doctors will allow a diet order for fish, chicken, or occasionally beef, but pork is banned altogether. If I had a broken bone, hands down, I would go to Pardee. They specialize in broken bones and hip and knee replacements. If I had a true emergency, I would go to Mission because that is where you would be transferred to from Pardee or Park Ridge if anything severe arises. Mission also has testing machines and equipment that Park Ridge and Pardee don't have. But if your emergency isn't so serious go to either Park Ridge or Pardee. The reason is because they are much smaller hospitals that don't provide the same type of critical care as Mission does. So Mission's emphasis is more on helping those who need the most help. On smaller scale issues or surgeries (bar the heart) you're going to get better care at either of the southern hospitals. Mission is also the only one that specializes in pediatrics and has a pediatric icu.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:40 PM

107 posts, read 249,483 times
Oh, also Park Ridge and Pardee have more drug shortages (a huge crisis in our country right now) than Mission. And I hear from patient's at both Pardee and Park Ridge as well as out o area that when they come into the ER they are being treated as if they just want drugs. This is because most addicts don't have insurance and use the ER as a fast way to obtain them. Mission isn't exclusive to this type of treatment, unfortunately.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailstothesea View Post
And I hear from patient's at both Pardee and Park Ridge as well as out o area that when they come into the ER they are being treated as if they just want drugs. This is because most addicts don't have insurance and use the ER as a fast way to obtain them. Mission isn't exclusive to this type of treatment, unfortunately.
Treating people as if they're drug addicts is not entirely a hospital's fault. Most people have no clue how much pressure the federal government has been putting on doctors and hospitals about controlled substances.

Doctors who specialize in pain management are under tremendous scrutiny; all doctors are. If the government decides they are prescribing too many controlled substances, they are in big trouble. Unfortunately, patients with chronic pain suffer. If you need a specific medication in a specific quantity to control your pain, and the government doesn't agree, you are going to live with that pain.

I know a pharmacist who runs a mail order pharmacy and has stopped filling prescriptions for painkillers. The amount of federal paperwork involved for each bottle of pills made it unprofitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina