Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:20 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLass View Post
On Lake Lure, don't forget the one about the ghost that haunts the Lake Lure Inn...very creepy
You know I went on the boat tour this past weekend and was going to ask if that place was haunted. I used to work at a hauned Holiday Inn in Grand Island, NY (Near Buffalo/Niagara Falls) and I can confirm that it's haunted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 04:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Morganton - The Deaf School - Main Building - There is a woman who killed in about 1850-1900. She always walk thought longest hall and stopped and looked at mirror and brushed her long hair if students saw her she will disappear quickly...she wear very white dress and her hair is light red/brown...

Morganton - The Deaf School - Main Building - Clock Tower - A hazy figure in the shape of a girl was seen moving slowly across the doorway.
Morganton - Drexel Heritage PLT 3 and 5 - Night watchmen claim over the years you can see an older man sweeping and cleaning up upstairs in PLT 3 in the hallways.

Morganton - Western Carolina Center - every morning on third shift a meal cart can be heard coming down the hall into Evergreen Cottage and the Medical Care Unit. You can hear the cart getting closer and closer, but it never appears.

Warensville - Devil Stairs - On certain nights around 12:00 a young woman can be seen walking up and down the road. She has on a prom dress. The old folks will tell you she'll open the car door and get in, and down the road she'll get back out.

Waynesville - Woolsey Heights - A Man killed his wife in their home and then committed suicide. Neighbors say they see her ghost in the windows and her rocking chair rocking. An actual witness who stayed with a neighbor frequently while in school heard and saw things that she cant even explain even though she does not believe in ghosts.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:49 PM

7 posts, read 41,207 times
I dont know if you talked about the broughton hospital ghost. Like the one that haunts one of the parks near the woods. My mom told me about that one alot. She used to work nights there. Supposedly her co-workers used to hear noises and see figures playing in the back. She had always dismissed the stories till one one night around six o'clock she saw what she thought were some workers in the back, but when she went out, no one was there. Most the ghost stories though come from the tunnels under broughton. Thats the scarest place of broughton.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 16,576 times
Where on the Dillsboro Rd are you talking about?

There are some lights on the Blue Ridge Parkway, at Thomas Divide. I have seen them as well as many people I know. When I saw them, they were going back and forth in the valley below the Thomas Divide pulloff. I was skeptical but seeing it for myself made me rethink my position.

I have heard the WCU rumors and during my time there, I had a chance to go ghost hunting with friends but declined. due to being a chicken, lol.

There is a spot going to Highlands where there is a woman sitting on the guard rail, when it rains. A friend stopped to ask her if she needed help and he said it was like her eyes were sunken in and hollow and she seems to float to the side of the car, with her face pressed up to the car window.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Bear View Post
Where on the Dillsboro Rd are you talking about?

There are some lights on the Blue Ridge Parkway, at Thomas Divide. I have seen them as well as many people I know. When I saw them, they were going back and forth in the valley below the Thomas Divide pulloff. I was skeptical but seeing it for myself made me rethink my position.

I have heard the WCU rumors and during my time there, I had a chance to go ghost hunting with friends but declined. due to being a chicken, lol.

There is a spot going to Highlands where there is a woman sitting on the guard rail, when it rains. A friend stopped to ask her if she needed help and he said it was like her eyes were sunken in and hollow and she seems to float to the side of the car, with her face pressed up to the car window.

STOP IT!! You just gave me the worse goose bumps with that last sentence!!!!

I am so creeped out right now Pookie!!

BTW - welcome to the threads

Old 01-16-2008, 08:52 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,588 times
These are fun. When I was a little girl in Charlotte, my family lived next door to Bruce and Nancy Roberts. If you look up Nancy Roberts on Amazon, you can find a lot of NC Ghost Stories she has authored.

One small correction on the original post. South Caldwell High School is actually in Hudson, NC, not Lenoir. That's my alma mater. I have heard the elevator story, but never the theater story.

Fun post!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:23 PM

Hendersonville: Jump Off Rock

Over 300 years ago a young Cherokee Indian maiden received word that her young Indian Chief had been killed in battle, so she climbed to the edge of the rock and jumped off

legend has it that on moonlit nights you can see the ghost of the pioneer

Old 07-28-2008, 08:54 AM

129 posts, read 754,078 times
Default Let's keep this one going....

I adore this thread! I really hope we can keep this one going. I must admit reading a few of these really gave me cold chills (thanks Pookie ) but I think that the WNC ghost stories are such a huge part of our heritage. How many of us remember grandparents telling us a few good scary stories when we were small?

Does anybody remember the story of the Morganton witch...Gray Shadows?

Old 08-03-2008, 05:14 PM

148 posts, read 584,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLass View Post
Does anybody remember the story of the Morganton witch...Gray Shadows?
That's Joann Denton. She's actually a really nice lady - she worked with my mother-in-law in the 70s, so she was there for the famous "funeral". She tells ghost stories and about Frankie Silver each year at Halloween for the local kids. She also ran for mayor back years ago, and sang country music for a short time. Here's a link to a newspaper article from a couple years back, for those who don't know what we're talking about : News-Herald Article (http://www.morganton.com/servlet/Satellite?c=MGArticle&pagename=MNH/MGArticle/MNH_BasicArticle&cid=1173353311172 - broken link)

Old 09-20-2008, 03:39 PM

Asheville:
Ashville High School Security camera captures a ghost
YouTube - Haunted High School

Lenoir: A ghost hunt in Lenoir North Carolina
YouTube - Ghost Hunt In Lenoir by Hickory Paranormal and NAPS

Green River: Green River Plantation
YouTube - PSI Paranormal Scene Investigators on hunt with Fox Carolina

Blowing Rock: Educational documentary on the ghost lore surrounding the historic luxury resort the Green Park Inn in Blowing Rock, NC
YouTube - The Ghosts of the Green Park Inn

Asheville Helens Bridge
YouTube - Helen's Bridge: A Ghost Story

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina