Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 AM

84 posts, read 163,972 times

Advertisements

Back in 2011 we lived in ski country in Colorado. We posted on this web site trying to get a feel for Western North Carolina (WNC) because we had to move due to an illness related to high elevation (we lived at 9000' and spent a lot of time up to 13000'). Since we loved mountains and skiing WNC was one possibility. I really appreciate the feedback including those opinions that I now feel were wrong. We moved to Asheville in June, 2011 after spending a week there in early June then in June 2012 moved to Mills River to be closer to a job my wife got in Hendersonville. I now have a wealth of information that I can share that might be helpful to anyone looking to move to WNC and I am seeking information about Boone, NC because that could be our next move (again, job related). Before I ask about Boone I would like to summarize what we have learned about WNC. YES, Asheville is a vibrant and very interesting city and offers good restaurants, lots of fun things to do and good weather for a broad spectrum of people. Traffic is way better than I expected given the presence of several intersates and other highways. Access to air travel is good, AND EASY! Job availability and wages are not great compared to other areas but probably not bad compared to the rest of the south. There does appear to be an abundance of social services jobs (my wife's field) in WNC and NC. We now live between Asheville and Hendersonville, 30 or so miles south of the former. Hendersonville is a small city with similar weather to Asheville but not as progressive. It does rain more here than in Asheville. Historical data and my experience both bear that out. The population here appears to be older than in Asheville. Healthcare in most of WNC is good. For anyone who cares, Mills River and Hendersonville have a lot of agriculture. The two winters we have been in WNC were not really winters by any standard although it appears that ski areas had an awful 2011-12 season but did a lot better in the 2012-13 season. If anyone is interested in follow-up on the above information I will be happy to respond.
Now let's get to our present situation. I have learned a lot about Boone since moving to WNC and I've looked at all of the past threads on Boone. The cold and snow will not be a problem. Skiing is not as important as it used to be but it would be nice to be able to make some turns within 30 minutes or less from home. One of the things that worries me a little is the condition of the roads in winter. In Summit County, Colorado travel in the county, even to the ski areas was relatively easy even in severe winter conditions. Going to Denver or any travel that required going over high passes was another story. It doesn't look like it will be easy in the Boone area. Help me with that please. We are going to visit Boone soon. I can't beleive we haven't already. Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 02:42 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,533,143 times
My husband was a volunteer ski patroller at Sugar Mtn for 20+ years. He continues to volunteer with the racing program at Sugar. I taught skiing at Sugar for 2 seasons a few years ago. We lived in Watauga County full time for 10 years in the late 80's to late '90's but had to move away for jobs. For the past 13-14 years we maintained a part-time home at the foot of Grandfather Mtn in order to have a home base for skiing. In January '13 we turned the part-time home into our full-time home.

With regard to roads in the winter, NCDOT and Boone's public works dept do a good job clearing and maintaining the main roads (state and US highways). Side roads and private roads can be iffy at times. With recent pressures on state and local government budgets, it remains to be seen if that will affect future wintertime road maintenance. Schools are closed a lot in winter because of bus access on back roads. Having said that, even when schools are closed, it's rare to have problems accessing the ski areas or just generally getting around, especially if you have 4WD/AWD.

Boone could be considered a smaller version of Asheville with regard to being (sort of) a progressive island in a sea of conservatism. ASU provides good cultural offerings and a lot of other community assets.

Although there are more limited options than in a larger city, we have been highly satisfied with the quality of health care providers that we've affiliated with. For a smaller hospital, I have no hesitation recommending Watauga Hospital/Appalachian Regional Health Care System.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

P.S. We've skied in Summit Co several times over the years, and the NC High Country is no Summit County. But we like it a lot for what it is. You just have to adjust your expectations.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:40 PM

Thanks Roadpony,
Now that I have the attention of a skier I'll ask a question I asked on our initial go around two years ago. I was told there are no moguls at the NC ski areas. Is that absolutely true? Also, is there any tree skiing?We didn't ski the first season because of conditons and the 2nd season because I had a hip replacement. By the way we lived in the Colorado high country for 20 years. Again, thanks.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:41 PM

Basically no moguls or tree skiing. As for moguls, it's primarily due to the fact that Southern ski areas simply don't have the space and in most cases the pitch for them. The South really doesn't get enough natural snow to accommodate tree skiing. The vast majority of the time, the ski areas have their hands full keeping the marked slopes covered and groomed. Because of the area limitations, most southern slopes are pretty strict about skiers and boarders staying on the marked slopes. You'll find the ski culture very different in the South vs the West; as a percent of total skiers, there is probably a much higher ratio of beginners and novices in the South.

Added: Hubby just told me that Ski Beech lets one of their slopes get bumped up... not every day... it's sort of hit or miss. Sugar grooms every slope that's open between most every session. Don't know about the others.

Last edited by roadpony; 05-21-2013 at 05:55 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 PM

Thanks again roadpony. Your answer was precisely what I expected but I was hoping otherwise. You know, like secret stashes that a local who is an avid skier would know, if they existed. I JUST GOT THE ADD ON. BEECH, HERE i COME.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 PM

11 posts, read 12,120 times
My husband and I are thinking of retiring to the Asheville - Hendersonville area in a few years. We've been trying to track down rain data - have heard that there is a rainbelt that extends NE from Brevard - perhaps into Mills River? We'd prefer to avoid that, if possible. We just got back from a week in Hendersonville, with side trips around, but are still clueless on the different neighborhoods or areas of the many cities in that region. We aren't too worried about a commute, but would like to be within 10 minutes of a grocery store, perhaps have a larger yard for gardening, and either neighborhood sidewalks or trails for daily walks without always having to drive to a trail. Any ideas?

Old 05-24-2013, 06:34 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sonmama View Post
My husband and I are thinking of retiring to the Asheville - Hendersonville area in a few years. We've been trying to track down rain data - have heard that there is a rainbelt that extends NE from Brevard - perhaps into Mills River? We'd prefer to avoid that, if possible. We just got back from a week in Hendersonville, with side trips around, but are still clueless on the different neighborhoods or areas of the many cities in that region. We aren't too worried about a commute, but would like to be within 10 minutes of a grocery store, perhaps have a larger yard for gardening, and either neighborhood sidewalks or trails for daily walks without always having to drive to a trail. Any ideas?

What areas in particular were you looking at, and what is your price range for property? Did you go out with a Realtor and have him/her drive you through areas/neighborhoods, proximity to shopping etc.? There are some beautiful subdivisions that the average visitor would never see unless taken on a basic tour without actually going in to homes. The real estate market has been busier since the first of this year, prices are increasing and home sales are up.

Regarding "rainbelt", that is not a term I've heard; Transylvania County in general (Brevard located there) is considered a rain forest type atmosphere and gets more rain than Henderson County. It is very lush, and is known as "land of the waterfalls". Google DuPont State Forest, famous for its waterfalls, trails, and tours twice a year.

WesternNC in general is a wonderful agricultural area because of the temperatures and average rainfall. We've also seen years where there has been minimum rainfall, and drought. I don't believe Mills River would fall into any "rainbelt" category, but Mills River in several areas, because of the rivers, and many creeks, and low lying land in general, should be studied for being in wetlands / flood plains. It is simply the "nature" of living in the mountains, water runs downhill. This spring has been exceptionally rainy, I've heard figures like 10" above normal. On the other hand, we haven't had any snow here the past two years. I think you are concerned more with "extreme" weather ... that is not the case here.

I might also suggest you sign up for a subscription to "Our State" magazine, which always has a generous amount of information on each section of NC. www.ourstate.com Another good magazine you may be interested in would be "Mountain Traditions" which I believe you can order from the local Henderson County newspaper www.blueridgenow.com; additionally, if you haven't already foundth is website, www.carolinaliving.com, you may enjoy that as well.

As for being 10 minutes from a grocery store, that will definitely limit you to living closer to a "city". The roads are very convenient here, usually easy access to the interstate (except from Brevard), and the secondary roads lead to shopping centers available everywhere; as well as easy access to the Asheville Airport on Rt. 280, and via Rts. 64 or 191. There are many nice subdivisions within 10 to 15 mins. shopping in Hendersonville, Mills River, Pisgah Forest, or Fletcher or Arden.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sonmama View Post
You might want to start your own thread with your questions which are substantially different information from what the OP is seeking. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:19 AM

Thanks Roadpony! Boy, did that thread get off track. I hope we will get additional responses to our COLORADO, TO ASHEVILLE, tTO MILLS RIVER, MAYBE TO BOONE thread. In spite of that I am going to respond to the rain question.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 AM

You want to know about rain in Hendersonville and Mills River? The data shows (google it) that Mills River, Hendersonville, Brevard get more annual rain than further north. I lived in north Asheville, now in Mills River and it is saturated down here this year. I started this thread to find out more about Boone and found that Boone has more precipitation than Asheville but less that Henderson County. NOW, PLEASE GET BACK TO BOONE!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina