Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 06:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times

Advertisements

Developers are planning a $20 million 180-unit apartment complex near downtown Asheville that would be one of just a handful of such projects completed near the center city in the past three decades.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...nclick_check=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,512,190 times
Been a looong time since I rented is $1300-1400 reasonable these days for a 2 bedrooms? I'd expect maid service with it!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,251,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Been a looong time since I rented is $1300-1400 reasonable these days for a 2 bedrooms? I'd expect maid service with it!
Yes. They're basically telling you what kind of people they want living there here:

“We see this really catering to people who work at the hospital or work downtown — nurses, paralegals,” Pulliam said. “We’ve got a lot of young people who we think will want to live up here.”
But Pulliam also knows that plenty of older folks who got stung with the market decline in 2008-09 are looking to rent these days instead of buying first or second homes in the mountains. At Weirbridge Village, for instance, the average age of the renters is 61.

The "workforce" housing mentioned starting at $600 are for efficiencies ... Can you imagine paying $600+ a month for 1 room .... Heck that's not too far from my monthly mortgage payment on a 3 bdrm house ... Of course I would never live in Buncombe County ...

Besides all the really great people live in Henderson County - isn't that right @QuilterChick

Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Yes. They're basically telling you what kind of people they want living there here:

“We see this really catering to people who work at the hospital or work downtown — nurses, paralegals,” Pulliam said. “We’ve got a lot of young people who we think will want to live up here.”
But Pulliam also knows that plenty of older folks who got stung with the market decline in 2008-09 are looking to rent these days instead of buying first or second homes in the mountains. At Weirbridge Village, for instance, the average age of the renters is 61.

The "workforce" housing mentioned starting at $600 are for efficiencies ... Can you imagine paying $600+ a month for 1 room .... Heck that's not too far from my monthly mortgage payment on a 3 bdrm house ... Of course I would never live in Buncombe County ...

Besides all the really great people live in Henderson County - isn't that right @QuilterChick

Amen Halo ! all day long. I also thought the new apts. to be quite pricey for the area; and bound to increase yearly. Pulliam's research on demographics needs a re-do. The article said they originally planned for condos, but decided on rentals. Hmmmmm... the condo prices must have been in the stratosphere. I don't want to think about the opportunists coming back to the area; over here in Hendersonville there is a multi-million lawsuit against a developer who literally raped some beautiful land at "Seven Falls" and went belly up at the County's expense.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:51 PM

2,603 posts, read 2,293,767 times
Thanks Quilterchick. $600 for a studio sounds great. In my building a studio goes for $1500. I'll keep this one in my back pocket.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Thanks Quilterchick. $600 for a studio sounds great. In my building a studio goes for $1500. I'll keep this one in my back pocket.

Yes, b-b-b-but Donna .... you're in Chicago, not the mountains of WNC. Repeat after me: cost of living, cost of living, cost of living.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes, b-b-b-but Donna .... you're in Chicago, not the mountains of WNC. Repeat after me: cost of living, cost of living, cost of living.
QC,
I called Biltmore Park Apartments and they have high rents. Also, the housing prices in Asheville seem high to me. I live in Lincoln Park and have a lake view, that's why my building charges a lot. Lincoln Park is similiar to Central Park in New York. Location, location, location.

Last edited by organic_donna; 07-17-2013 at 04:06 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 07:33 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,512,190 times
$600 for efficiency is a lot of dollars for workforce housing most of that group isn't making a lot of money and certainly won't work well for many people.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
QC,
I called Biltmore Park Apartments and they have high rents. Also, the housing prices in Asheville seem high to me. I live in Lincoln Park and have a lake view, that's why my building charges a lot. Lincoln Park is similiar to Central Park in New York. Location, location, location.

The cost of living in Chicago is at least 100% higher than it is here. This area doesn't support those prices Donna. Minimum wage jobs abound here. Someone making $75K per year in a large metropolitan city would compare to someone here making $35K per year. Biltmore Park is a high end development for high income earners or retirees with a large nest egg and investment income. So evidently that is the genre that this new apartment complex might cater to. The average apartment dweller here is not in the $1500/month category.

e.g. Chicago and New York rents would most likely be comparable to each other, or slightly different. BankRate.com I believe has a good cost of living index to compare various areas.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:02 AM

I used an income of $60,000 and the cost of living is 12.7% lower in Asheville.
http://swz.salary.com/costoflivingwi...oll_start.aspx

Last edited by organic_donna; 07-18-2013 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina