Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 AM

6,387 posts, read 4,250,169 times

Advertisements

We are looking to find a house about 10 to 15 minutes from Asheville in the $250 to $300K range and must have about a half acre of property. One realtor and a few others have recommended Weaverville and Black Mountain.

I would imagine there are other areas and or neighborhoods where we should look?

The wife is also hoping to find a house with mountain views, of some sort and I realize there are many degrees of Mountain Views since they are visable from almost all areas of Asheville.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 01:31 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 773,577 times
10 minutes from the city limits, or from downtown?

Old 02-05-2014, 02:24 PM

4,794 posts, read 10,644,594 times
Rich,
Agree with RVT: Asheville 'area' is broadly defined, depending on who is doing the designation...

Swannanoa is ~8 miles, BM is ~13 miles, east of 'downtown', using handy GOOG Earth and it's measuring stick.

Weaverville is ~7+ miles north, etc.

None of those are '10-15 mins' from downtown, unless there is zero traffic, no cops and one is hauling azz.

Give GOOG Maps and GOOG Earth a workout: lots of land area in a "15-20 min" driving circle around A'ville, though most people tend to use a '20 min ride' as a selling point, when in fact it is half an hour plus in reality, esp 'door to door', as no one lives at the entrance ramp to the highway or road.
GL, mD

Old 02-05-2014, 02:58 PM

6,387 posts, read 4,250,169 times
I realize I was not specicific regarding what portion of Asheville I was referring to. From just being there once, I visualize the City center being the norther older section while the souther section would be by the Biltmore sout to the Wells Fargo bank, Libertery Cylce (Hendersonville Rd) location. To the west would be the Artsy area, the French Broad River and East would be the Tunnel Road, Asheville Mall area?

Am I in the ballpark, is this basically the Asheville area?

If this is accurate, I would be looking to be within about 15 minutes of these ares. Just main places to food shop, wine shop, stores and restaurants. Based on our desire to have a minimum of an half acre, Weaverville and Black Mountain have been recommended, however, I would imagine there would be more options East West or to the South since Weaverville is to the north.

We will be visiting again in the spring and hope to have a bunch of possibe areas to look at other than Weaverville.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:58 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 773,577 times
Then I would recommend that you also look at Fairview, Cane Creek, Candler, Bent Creek and Leicester. All of these would put you 10 minutes from town, with property and houses in the range you gave.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:17 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,596,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I realize I was not specicific regarding what portion of Asheville I was referring to. From just being there once, I visualize the City center being the norther older section while the souther section would be by the Biltmore sout to the Wells Fargo bank, Libertery Cylce (Hendersonville Rd) location. To the west would be the Artsy area, the French Broad River and East would be the Tunnel Road, Asheville Mall area?

Am I in the ballpark, is this basically the Asheville area?

If this is accurate, I would be looking to be within about 15 minutes of these ares. Just main places to food shop, wine shop, stores and restaurants. Based on our desire to have a minimum of an half acre, Weaverville and Black Mountain have been recommended, however, I would imagine there would be more options East West or to the South since Weaverville is to the north.

We will be visiting again in the spring and hope to have a bunch of possibe areas to look at other than Weaverville.

Also look at Swannanoa, Arden, Hooper's Creek area. There are some very nice subdivisions in your price range off Sweeten Creek Road and off Mills Gap Road which would be the closest you can be to Asheville at your budget. Those areas have excellent access to Rt. 40 E&W, quick to Mission Hospital, and quick to business Rt. 25 (shopping, restaurants etc., busy road though), all directly into Asheville.
Take a look at the High Vista subdivision off Rt. 191. Part of it is in Buncombe Cty., and the larger part is in (Mills River) Henderson County. You will get views in there. and 15/20 mins. into Asheville, yet country living.

The closer you are to Asheville, the higher the traffic, and the higher the price range and taxes. Why do you need to be within 15 mins. of Asheville? You are limiting yourself away from some beautiful less dense areas. Rather than waiting in 15 mins. of traffic and congestion, especially in tourist season, you could be just a bit further out, 20 mins. or so and find all the amenities you are seeking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina